Nick Muche 04-May-19
Mule Power 04-May-19
Rut Nut 04-May-19
Bou'bound 04-May-19
Hessticles 04-May-19
Mule Power 05-May-19
Pete In Fairbanks 05-May-19
27-Apr-19
If I had the money to go to Alaska moose hunting $400 one way or the other, out of what would likely be a 8k to 10k hunting trip, wouldn't make any difference.

27-Apr-19
its like buying a big ford truck-if you gotta ask the gas mileage you probably can't afford it. if 400 is going to make you stay home you can't afford to go to alaska

27-Apr-19
Wouldn't bother me, and I'm pretty frugal.

27-Apr-19
I bought one of those $400 tags just before it doubled in price. And never got a shot at a moose. Would have paid $800, and may pay $800 next year. In looking at the total cost, that extra $400 is not a deal breaker.

27-Apr-19
At 800.00, that's still the cheapest non-resident Moose tag of any western state.

27-Apr-19
Immaterial

27-Apr-19
I would move to AK if I wanted to hunt there.

27-Apr-19
I’m booking a moose hunt as we speak and I don’t care how much the license costs. It’s not only cheaper than an elk tag but I also don’t have to look at draw odds and I have no money or time invested in preference points. I’d do it every year if it didn’t cost 10 grand plus travel and shipping.

27-Apr-19
Would not stop me at all . When I put in for the ID draw it’s over $2000. This is offset by the fact that I have gear and friends there so if I ever draw it’ll be cheaper than my DIY AK moose and my guided Newfoundland hunts.

29-Apr-19
Those prices get steep when you factor in the $1100 phone conversation with Slick Willie to talk about moose hunting.

29-Apr-19
Nick, it's nearly impossible to be successful in Alaska strictly DIY. You know that. :)

29-Apr-19
I was told that you need to have the most popular tent, which is now discontinued apparently.

29-Apr-19
800 is a drop in the bucket for a NR doing an alaska hunt. A full outfit of KUIU or Sitka will run you more than an alaska NR moose tag and license. Dont drink booze, dip or smoke for a few months and you have paid for the tag.

30-Apr-19
Willie, were you able to drum up any business via PM for your moose hunting 12 hour phone call mentoring sessions?

30-Apr-19
"I don’t push my moose classes to people on PM’s because I’ve seen other outfits that do the same kind of Moose Hunting Class." - So you haven't PM'd anyone about offering an $1100 phone conversation about moose hunting?

01-May-19
Crickets......

02-May-19
Actually Forest Gump was fairy intelligent. I guess not everyone picked up on that.

Willie.... oh never mind.....

02-May-19
Paragraphs please. My brain hurts.

02-May-19
What kinda seasoning do you need to put on a moose hunter before you ride around with him in order to learn something? Like some Lawry’s do the trick or what?

02-May-19
If you lurk Bowsite enough you're bound to stumble across some bamboozledness, such as this. Ed F

02-May-19
How long does the $1,100 phone class last

02-May-19
12 hours Bou

03-May-19
Get it right you inferiors! It’s an 11 hour internet symposium”

And during that time he will not tell you anything you already know. All new ground breaking information. He’s not just a moose hunter.... he’s a moose assassinating engineer!

Slick Nick I nailed down my hunt buddy looking forward to seeing you again Steph again! Excited is an understatement. Dinner at the Turtle Club? Everyone knows you can’t kill a moose without stopping there right? Probably part of the higher edumacation program.

03-May-19
I knew this thread would eventually slide downhill to a mention of The Turtle Club.

03-May-19
Or maybe we should say calling it for what it is....a scam. You're on here discreetly trying to sell your classes through the Bowsite platform without a sponsorship. That's shady. Posting crap about not being able to be successful DIY without some moose whisper class is BS.

For the guys want a DIY moose trip, don't fall for this guy. It's 100% possible to do without an $1100 phone call. I can assure you there is no correlation between the weight of your gear and success.

03-May-19

APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo

03-May-19
To the ORIGINAL topic of tag prices:

Yes, the extra $400 matters to this guy. That's because I go every year and I'm diy-only. Before the 100% (doubling) of nonresident tag prices in Alaska, I used to routinely purchase moose, caribou and maybe black bear tags ahead of my hunt. It was a gamble but the cost wasn't prohibitive. Starting last year I purchased a moose tag and nothing else. The end result (for me) is I'm spending more on one tag. The end result for Alaska is the state is making less on me because I'm not buying the extra tags and paying whatever other costs come with killing a caribou or bear....assuming the kill of course.

I figure the extra $400 on a moose tag would slow down nobody going on their first or maybe only moose hunt.

03-May-19
To be honest, besides dealing with the weather, I think the general consensus, and from limited moose hunting experience, moose is about the easiest ungulate to hunt. When you talk to experienced hunters that have hunted many of the deer species, moose are made for bowhunting because they are the "simplest" of the deer species. There are guys like Tao and other moose outfitters that have poured their lives into moose hunting that will know more than most of us will ever even come close to about moose hunting, and I am 100% sure that translates to success. That being said, I firmly believe moose are a species where the knowledge vs success curves starts at a much higher data point enabling success for people that don't know as much. I think the average guy with predatory instinct is going to do better on average for moose than they would on other ungulates like whitetails or mulies if they are coming in cold. Assuming they have animals to hunt.

And to the original question - I think the extra money is peanuts. (In relation to hunt cost)

03-May-19
APauls, I think you're spot on with the "have animals to hunt" comment. The density of moose is just not like any other deer species. It's really low.

I'd also add that in Alaska judging a legal moose can be difficult especially for bowhunters where you might not get a chance to get a good look at them before they are in your lap.

03-May-19
Now that you put it that way Kevin I guess license costs do have an affect. One never knows how the moose hunting will go and I planned on carrying a caribou tag as well. When I buy a license I plan on punching the tag. If it’s cheap and I don’t fill it oh well. But if it’s expensive I want to be confident that I’ll at least have the time to hunt with it.

04-May-19
Willie is a Pro!

04-May-19
TBM of the north. North Dakota actually.

04-May-19
Who would pay $1100 for a phone call to a guy in N.Dakota pretending to be from Alaska?

04-May-19
The best part of this is the reminder of the prime rib at the turtle club

04-May-19
I wouldn't pay 1100 pennies for his "class"

05-May-19
No but I’ve been warned about the big taxidermy scandal in a PM!

Message From: Tdvorak Whatever you do DON’T read the thread about taxidermy on this site right now. It will just get you all emotional and you’ll have to bash a couple of the guys on there. They are saying the paid to hang around great taxidermists to become the best taxidermist they can be. I know how that concept stresses you out so I thought I’d warn you. Or maybe you will go on that thread and try to convince everybody that you know everything about taxidermy even though you may have not done it and that anybody who takes a class about taxidermy is a sucker.

05-May-19
I think Mule Power is onto something...... we are being treated to the reincarnation of TBM!

Pete

• Sitka Gear