skipmaster1 30-Apr-19
jdee 30-Apr-19
Ambush 30-Apr-19
Cheesehead Mike 30-Apr-19
EmbryOklahoma 30-Apr-19
SoDakSooner 30-Apr-19
jdee 30-Apr-19
30-Apr-19
Looking at buying a new bino harness and the one I really like has magnets in it to hold the lid closed. I’ve heard that the magnets can affect the gps compass or phone gps when navigating . Anyone ever have issues with their gps/phone when using a bino harness ? My old harness is a Sitka but it is a fight to get my EL’s in and out of them so I’m thinking about buying a Marsupial harness just wondering about the magnets.

30-Apr-19
Yes, the magnets will screw up conventional and electronic compasses. But just holding the GPS lower and farther away (arms length) seems to work. That’s for a Sitka pouch and Garmin anyway.

30-Apr-19
I also have problems with my GPS compass when I hold it close to my rangefinder that's hanging around my neck. When it happens I have to recalibrate the compass in my GPS. It's kind of annoying...

30-Apr-19
We had big problems with my buddy’s garmin and his marsupial bono harness. It had him 180 degrees off. In the mountains of CO. It was bad. I was with him and realized he was goingbyhe wrong way. We used my garmin to get back to camp. The next day I put his gps on a stump and lowered his harness down next to it. You could watch it spin the compass on it.

30-Apr-19
Not good. I’m up in the folder Ed’s way too much not to have correct nav. The harness I’ve got has magnets but it’s such a tight fit I really never use it . I’ve been using plain ol bino straps from crooked horn .

30-Apr-19
The Sitka is really nice if not for the magnet problem. I went from a Kuiu to the simple Alaska Guide. True one handed in and out.

30-Apr-19
I always carry a cheap plastic hand compass and don't rely on the compass in my GPS...

30-Apr-19
I remember when magnets cleared my gas card in my wallet. I was baffled for days. :)

30-Apr-19
Same issue here. Holding it a bit further away makes the difference. That said, I thought about pulling the magnets out and coming up with something else. I am too cheap to buy a new harness just because of that. Seems like I always keep the flap folded back anyway as I glass quite a bit.

30-Apr-19
My friend said just cut the magnets out and sew in a metal button and a hair scrunchy but I hate to drop almost $100 on a harness just to modify it.

• Sitka Gear