t-roy 01-May-19
SoDakSooner 01-May-19
MichaelArnette 01-May-19
t-roy 01-May-19
N2BUX 02-May-19
PushCoArcher 02-May-19
Lost Arra 02-May-19
30-Apr-19
Looking for someone with 5+ points here in Oklahoma for the last two weekends of the army ammunition plant hunt. We have three people already with 5+ points just need one more

30-Apr-19
Do you lose your points if you don’t apply for a certain number of years? Say, like,,,,,,,,,,20??!!

I haven’t applied for the Big Mac hunt since I moved back home in ‘97. Som real nice bucks have been killed there over the years, for sure! Do they still plant a rock at the campground for killing a big buck there? How many points does it usually take to draw a tag there now, Michael?

01-May-19
Yea, they still plant rocks if your buck nets 125 or better, Troy. That's everyone's goal out there, to plant a rock. They now, on select weekends, give "quality passes" if you shoot a doe. That means you get to come back again next year on the same weekend. Some years they would give quality passes for a hog killed also. You didnt need to bring the entire pig in either. Sometimes all they wanted was a tail or L or R ear. This is something that is up to the base biologist/hunt coordinator(s).

That's a tough hunt except for the rut, then it gets better. The vast majority of people put in for the last two rut hunts. Which are usually smack dab in the rut. It's a tough draw. You can draw an early hunt, but frankly, they suck. Too hot, deer don't move much... and you'd better hope for a cold front.

01-May-19
It should also be known that the hunts at MCAAP are traditional archery only.

01-May-19
A buddy and I drew it once, back in the mid-late 80s. I borrowed a left handed recurve from one of our bow club members and practiced for several months with it. I got proficient enough with it, that I felt confident out to 15-20yds.

Sure enough, I ended up with a pretty nice buck (probably 130-140 class) within 20 yards of my tree, working a scrape, totally unaware of my presence. I commenced to sail my arrow right off the top of his back, shaving a bit of hair off in the process. I also saw another much larger buck about 200 yds away that same morning, that would have fit right in on the “Big Brows” thread. My buddy saw a couple of nicer bucks during that hunt as well. I came away from that hunt with a greater appreciation for the guys that consistently get it done with traditional equipment! It was a really fun experience....all except the A$$ chewing we took because my buddy forgot to make sure that he didn’t have any prohibited items in his truck! (a book of matches)

01-May-19
Ive hunted it 5 or 6 times, but have a group I put in with (only have 3 pp anyway) it's a fun hunt. Success rate is only about 10%, not because you don't see deer, but the method of take and no optics or decoys allowed. I'm 1 fer. Shot a small 4 x 4, but also have several clean misses. Ive hunted about every week, and for sure the last two are the best. A guy that I work with is a big trad guy and he got to stand up a rock last year.

01-May-19
Thanks for the input, obviously you guys can see why I’ve put in seven consecutive years and not drawn. I have no interest in hunting any other than the last two weekends due to feedback over the years from others.

The last two weekends are really tough to draw. Technically a one in 12 and one in 18 chance I think respectively

T Roy, you could call the wildlife department and find out about preference points, I’m sure they will not honor points that are that old but it’s worth a check?

01-May-19
I’m not too worried about them, Michael. Like you, I’d only be interested in the last 2 weekends as well. I would be hard pressed to leave my place in Iowa in early November, especially with multiple tags! ;-)

02-May-19
I have 15 points but I'm not putting in for MCAAP. The success rates are some of the lowest of all the controlled hunts. I want a reasonable chance to kill a buck.

02-May-19
N2BUX that's true but that's only due to it being a traditional archery only hunt.

02-May-19
Plus there are a significant number of hunters who buy their first recurve and usually at too heavy of draw weight, after they get drawn. Also, guys will go set up as far from the roads as possible rather than just looking for acorns and persimmons. Those deer are different. The roads and bunkers don't bother them but when you are hunted hard for 6 straight weekends they can get tough to find by November.

• Sitka Gear