IdyllwildArcher 01-May-19
Nick Muche 01-May-19
TravisScott 01-May-19
YZF-88 01-May-19
Bowhuntpig666! 02-May-19
TD 02-May-19
Nick Muche 02-May-19
01-May-19
Over the next 2 years, I will be traveling to Mountain Home for business. Interested in archery hunting in nearby areas during upcoming Fall seasons while there on business.

Looks like the Idaho control hunt application process just opened today, correct? As a Non-Res. are chances good/decent that I could get one of those in order to archery hunt mule deer or elk? Assume I am late to the party for putting in for a capped/draw Hunt.

If you were me should I focus on Sawtooth Mtns. or Snake River Foothillls/Lower Plains areas? Are there any public hunting areas along the Snake River Foothillls/Lower Plains areas or is it all private? If no public, looks like the southern portion of the Sawtooth Mtns. will get my attention unless no controller hunts there?

Don’t know much about the opportunities available to me in that area so thx in advance for any and all helpful info.

01-May-19
No point system in Idaho, full random draw. You can look over the draw odds report from last year on their website to see the demand for any hunts in question:

https://idfg.idaho.gov/ifwis/huntplanner/odds/

01-May-19
Sticksender....will do and much appreciated! Are “controlled hunts” different than capped/draw hunts?

01-May-19
Most of the elk tags in ID are OTC. There's a very few limited entry archery elk tags (controlled hunts).

01-May-19
Loved living in mountain home. Great place with plenty of opportunity nearby. Put in for the draws in nearby units.

01-May-19
I second what Nick said. It’s an incredible area and there are A TON of opportunities around there. Look at the draws and if you find an area around there that is a controlled hunt then the odds are pretty good it’s ridiculously good tag. The OTC opportunities are plentiful even if you don’t draw.

Controlled hunt is you apply between now and the end of the App period (I think it’s June 5th but you’ll need to check) and your name gets thrown into a lottery system. They will draw a set number of hunters no matter how many apps. That’s where sticksenders link comes into play as you can try to play the best odds.

Their Capped tags are a simple first come first serve. Those tags don’t usually sell out super quick but you need to have those tags in mind early still because they will be gone by the start of the season.

01-May-19
You’ll need to buy a hunting license first before applying for a controlled hunt. Also, if you archery hunt, you’ll need to buy an archery stamp as well. Good luck! I applied my kid today.

02-May-19
I second IdyllwildArcher

02-May-19
Dang Nick! You've lived alotta places!

02-May-19
Mountain Home is perfectly located. Close to Boise, close to bears, pronghorn close, close to shed hunting, close to elk, close to deer, close to sturgeon fishing, close to fishing resivoirs, close to duck hunting, trapping, coyotes and whistle pigs, close to the desert, not far from hiking and camping, skiing, sledding, dirt bike and ATV riding, very nice 3D tourneys all summer, turkey hunting, steelhead and salmon fishing and all of that (aside from steelhead and REALLY good turkey hunting) within an hour or so. Great people as well. You’ll love it there but maybe not at first!

• Sitka Gear