Mike Ukrainetz 22-Jun-19
Dino 22-Jun-19
petedrummond 22-Jun-19
JL 22-Jun-19
midwest 22-Jun-19
map1 23-Jun-19
04-May-19

Mike Ukrainetz's embedded Photo
The Outfitter Mike Ukrainetz and his Daughter Brooke on the 1st grocery run.
The Outfitter Mike Ukrainetz and his Daughter Brooke on the 1st grocery run.
Hey Bowsiters, It's that exciting time of the year again, Spring Bear Hunting in Alberta, Canada!! We do it over bait which I think is the most fun, engaging, intimate and yes, even challenging way to hunt bears. Especially when you are after one of the big boys, for us that's a 300 plus lb, 19+ inch skull, 6 ft 10 inch square hide or bigger bear. We strive to get every hunter an opportunity at a bear of this size or larger. Some are much larger with the occasional one going over 400 lbs and a 20+ or even a 21 inch plus Booner head.

For those hunters that just want to make sure they get a bear we do let them shoot smaller ones, usually a selected big, old dry sow, beyond her breeding years. Or if a bait has an overpopulation of sows we will be less selective of just which one it is. Lots of bears here! So many that they let hunters take two bears each, 2nd one on a trophy fee.

04-May-19

Typical bait site with broadside positioning crib and size judgement stakes.
Typical bait site with broadside positioning crib and size judgement stakes.
Here is a typical bait site for us with the broadside positioning crib/wall, a meat scraps only barrel, a popcorn with liquorice barrel and a beaver cage. We also have a honey pot and an oats and grease barrel at every site, along with a Reconyx camera. (They are outside of the picture.) The barrels here are loosely chained so the bears can knock them over and roll them around. We've also newly installed size judging stakes, 36 inches tall with the top 6 inches painted white. If the bears shoulders are as tall as the stake, shoot him! If not, don't.

04-May-19

Guide Alec Zabel setting the honey pot and oats and grease barrel.
Guide Alec Zabel setting the honey pot and oats and grease barrel.
The honey pot is set about 4 1/2 feet of the ground so a bear has to stand up to lick out the honey, this way you can tell the sex of the bear, especially with binoculars. The oat barrel is loosely chained to the tree with slits at the bottom on either side so again the bear has to go broadside to feed at it and the fact that it stays standing helps to judge the size of a bear. To me volume and variety is King! We never see a drop in activity due to dandelions or moose calves being born. The bears have all the variety they need right at our baits and it never runs out. This also allows several bears to feed at the site at one time, if you force the bears to feed right beside each other then some bears won't come to the bait. We've had as many as 9 adult bears at a bait at one time.

04-May-19

Our bear proof wooden ground blind.
Our bear proof wooden ground blind.
These ground blinds are an awesome game changer compared to a tree stand! Two people can sit in one on comfy lawn chairs, very safe, no safety belt needed, it's dark inside so the bears can't see you and with an ozonics scent suppressor the bears can hardly tell you are there. Some will walk over and stick their head inside to check and that adds to the excitement of the hunt. Sturdy, the bears can walk on top of them and often do. Plus it gives the perfect ground level shot. And you don't have to sit in the rain. The downside is that it does give a different feel to the hunt compared to the view out of a tree stand and being out in the elements.

04-May-19

Head guide Gerard Van Den Boogaard showing new guide Alec how to make popcorn.
Head guide Gerard Van Den Boogaard showing new guide Alec how to make popcorn.
Guide Kevin Carlson with a monster moose shed!
Guide Kevin Carlson with a monster moose shed!
Lots of wind blown poplar trees. Being a bear guide is a ton of work!
Lots of wind blown poplar trees. Being a bear guide is a ton of work!
Like every good bear outfitter we go through tons of bait in a year and it ain't cheap! We will feed over 400 different bears and kill about 30-40 of them each year. It's a very sustainable harvest year after year and if we didn't shoot them farmers and beekeepers would and they still do, lots of them. Legally they can kill as many bears as they want on private land and leave them to rot. The bears do a lot of crop damage and we must protect the vegetarian food!

04-May-19
The judgement stakes are clever!!!

04-May-19
Great pics!

04-May-19

Big Boy! Looks a bit shy of stake height but other pics show differently.
Big Boy! Looks a bit shy of stake height but other pics show differently.
and the stake disappears! A big mature sow would look a lot like this bear but her shoulders would probably only be up to about the bottom of the white mark, 30 to maybe 32 inches.
and the stake disappears! A big mature sow would look a lot like this bear but her shoulders would probably only be up to about the bottom of the white mark, 30 to maybe 32 inches.
Young male bear, light in the shoulders like a sow but the big paws and about 33 inch height give him away as a boar.
Young male bear, light in the shoulders like a sow but the big paws and about 33 inch height give him away as a boar.
Thanks guys for the kind comments! First big bear of the year in broad daylight. Kind of short legged beast but fat, big head, looking good.

05-May-19
Good luck this season Mike stay safe

05-May-19
Good luck, looking forward to the rest of you season reports.

—Jim

05-May-19
Always one of my favorite threads of the year. Good luck, hope you have a safe and successful season! I love the attention to detail at your bait sites.

05-May-19
Always a fun thread to follow. Have a great season, Mike, and thanks for sharing with us!

05-May-19
Have a great season. Some bears should be hitting the ground soon!

05-May-19
Awesome thread Mike!!! Look forward to this every year, Thx for posting and taking us along!!! Have a great season.

05-May-19
see you the 19th!

05-May-19
I always enjoy this one.. best of luck to you and your clients!! Hunt

05-May-19
Always follow this one and Alexis's.

You guys are sure to knock down a few giants this year!

Best of luck

05-May-19
Mike's Outfitting is as good as it gets. He and his guides do everything possible it give you a chance at a great bear(or 2)! The crew, the family, the accommodations, the habitat, the wildlife....Mike is committed to ensuring you have a great time and to your success.

05-May-19
Thanks so much for all the kind comments!

06-May-19
An incredible annual thread....keep up the great bears Mike!

Mark

06-May-19
I wait for this thread ever year. Can't wait to see what you guys do this year. Best of luck Mike

06-May-19
Thanks for showing the pics Mike,I will be with your buddy Kyle next Sunday for the 2nd year in a row.Good luck to you,and your hunters,Cliff

07-May-19

Big ole swamp bear playing with a 5 gallon bucket!
Big ole swamp bear playing with a 5 gallon bucket!
Our first group of 5 repeat hunters showed up yesterday and we hunted that evening, saw 34 different bears but no for sure shooters. Everyone is being very diligent in trying to make sure they get a big one like the one pictured. He's in the bait at the perfect time!

07-May-19

What a decent size colored bear looks like compared to the white post.
What a decent size colored bear looks like compared to the white post.
And what a truly big one looks like! Tall and long, forget about looking for a round head with a crease in it or little ears or a hanging belly.
And what a truly big one looks like! Tall and long, forget about looking for a round head with a crease in it or little ears or a hanging belly.

07-May-19

Boar or Sow?
Boar or Sow?
We are really confused by this bear, boar or sow? Blocky head, just a short legged boar? It's still alive so don't know for sure. What do you think?

08-May-19
Well you guys are boring. Not one comment. I make the same post on Instagram and facebook and everyone chimes in. Maybe it's because the real hunters hang out on bowsite and know my tricks already? It's a sow, shorter than the post, but it did actually have me thinking a boar because she is she beefy looking, blocky head, thick ankles. Old dry sow, going to try to shoot her.

08-May-19
ok... I've looked daily at this thread for updates so dont stop.

08-May-19

Big, old sow! I bet she makes Pope and Young.
Big, old sow! I bet she makes Pope and Young.
Here she is posing for the camera, she's been around for years but as soon as we start hunting the spot she goes mostly nocturnal and random hitting.

Thanks for the encouragement standswittaknife! No LIKES to count to pump me up each day, just crickets here. chirp, chirp. haha

Another bear judgement tool we've used for tree stands is to cut a log 5 feet long and lay it on the ground at the bait. NO sow will ever be as long as that log measured as a straight line nose to tail as she stands in this picture. For us EVERY boar that is 5 foot will make Pope and Young solidly, 18 1/2 plus skull. A 36 inch stake or a standing barrel works better out of a ground blind like we use now.

08-May-19
Nice setup, need to make a trip one year to hunt with you Mike.

08-May-19
Keep it coming! Looking forward to the first kills!

08-May-19
Mike, I would've wrongly guessed boar for that bear. Straight stovepipe legs. The nose doesn't look pointed, more short and stubby. What are the sow characteristics that could help me identify this bear?

08-May-19
Boreal, the best way to identify a sow from a boar is that a sow will be well below the height of a 36" stake when viewed hunting out of a ground blind and less than 5 ft long on a log when hunting out of a tree stand. Forget all the rest.

Most terms that experienced bear hunters use to describe a what a big boar looks like are subtle, subjective and confusing to novice bear hunters and even sometimes to themselves! Before we used barrels and white topped posts I had guys in camp that had killed over 20 bears who accidently killed big, fat sows, some were dry but others were breeding age. Not a big deal in the overall population but if you really want to properly manage the bears that come to your bait site it becomes a problem over time reducing the quality of your hunt.

08-May-19
Fun thread! Wish I has a tag in my pocket this spring!

08-May-19

Sam's embedded Photo
Sam's embedded Photo
A bear I did NOT shoot, probably a mistake. Can’t wait to come back.

08-May-19
Good luck to your hunters, Mike!

09-May-19
Love to have you both back Sam and T-roy! Thanks

09-May-19
Please post photos of kills on the main success thread too this year if you could

09-May-19

335 pounder! A big weight for a spring Alberta bear.
335 pounder! A big weight for a spring Alberta bear.
Aaron Austin from Kansas got his first bear yesterday evening, guide Alec got in the pic too! Happy guys.

The 5 repeat hunters in camp have seen lots of bears and 3 other probable 300+ lb bears have been passed up in search of giants. Hopefully it pays off?!

09-May-19
Nice work, love this thread as well! First photo of the sow had me thinking boar but the next photo made it clear it was a sow. Can't wait to follow along!

09-May-19

Guide Alec and hunter Aaron Austin with a big one!
Guide Alec and hunter Aaron Austin with a big one!
First bear of the year for us and it's a good one! 335 lbs, 19 4/16 Pope and Young skull, and the hide squared out at 7 ft 2 inches. (7 ft 4 inch wide, 7 ft 0 inch long) Exactly the kind of bear we want every hunter to hold for. Congrats to Aaron and to Alec and the rest of my team here at Mike's Outfitting!!

(We measure the square of a bears hide by measuring the hide laid out on the ground, tip of the nose to the tip of the tail and then measure claw tip to claw tip across the front legs and then it's the average of those two measurements. No stretching. The skull is out of the hide, paws are in it, which actually gives a slightly smaller measurement than if you took the paws out.)

09-May-19
Congrats on a super bear!

10-May-19

A true blonde!
A true blonde!
Now here's a beautiful bear! That is off limits to shoot, want to spread those genes.

10-May-19
Hi Mike! Glad to find your thread again this year! Gerard sent me the link and got me hooked up! I always look forward to this thread and report each year. And it’s even BETTER when I know I will be hunting with you guys in a couple of weeks! Can’t wait to get back! Thanks for the updates, pics, and great information. You do a great job on this report and forum! I’m not a big Facebooker, so this is the one I look forward to! I appreciate the time and effort it takes to bring us along on your adventures and season. Keep it up!

That blonde bear is a beauty! Hope a big mature boar in that color is roaming around also!

Can’t wait to escape the concrete jungle, and spend some time out in your neck of the woods. Wishing you, your guides, and all your hunters a happy and successful season. See you in a couple of weeks!

Kind regards,

Scott M

10-May-19
Thanks Scott, see you soon! I'm sure bear camp is a nice, big change from Tokyo!!

10-May-19
That's the same way I measure bears Mike, keep up the good work!

11-May-19

Aaron telling the story of his bear hunt.
Aaron telling the story of his bear hunt.
Here’s a peak into our lodge, some half truths have been told around this table!

And thanks rattling junkie! Good luck on your hunts too!!

The measure of a bears hide gets thrown around a lot and it can be done very differently which can greatly affect the numbers, some guys just measure the length tip of the nose to the tip of the tail and still call it the square of a bears hide and others do it to the base of the tail making it 3 to 6 inches shorter and then paws in or out make a difference and if it's skinned for a lifesize mount not going all the way up the neck makes it shorter for width. I always like to clarify exactly what we are measuring, glad to hear you do it the same.

11-May-19

Big, Big bear!!
Big, Big bear!!
Now here's a new Jumbo bear, he'll square well over 7 feet no matter how you measure him!

11-May-19
After a couple of trips that lodge feels like home. The stories and comraderi at that table are fantastic! Good luck everyone!

12-May-19
Well we finished up the week with a new record, one bear killed for five hunters and one minor flesh wound. NOT the record we were were hoping for! And four 300 plus pounders with 19 plus inch heads passed up. At least that's what they looked like on trail camera and on the hunters own cameras and videos from the ground blinds. That's what you sometimes get when you emphasize that's it's a trophy bear hunt and you have repeat hunters trying to top the bears they've killed before with you. Some hindsight regret but everyone still seemed happy with the hunt. They saw about 100+ different bears and all the hunters are rebooking for 2020 or 2021. New guys and gals in tomorrow!

12-May-19
That’s success in anyone’s book.

13-May-19
The jumbos seldom come easy! Often a little luck is required to put em on the ground. Sounds like the hunters had plenty of action and a good hunt overall.

14-May-19

We started off the 2nd week of hunters with a bang! Well, more like the thunk of a couple well placed arrows. More pics to come!!

14-May-19
In for the fun! Love this thread! And congrats on the couple of bears taken thus far. Mike has the big one's for sure! Loved the up-close and on the ground encounters. Look forward to seeing more big ones hit the ground.

15-May-19
I'm following this! Can't wait for spring of 2020! Good luck Mr. Ukrainetz!

17-May-19

Dan Wiegand
Dan Wiegand
300 lbs!
300 lbs!
Repeat hunter Dan Wiegand took this good bear with us this week. 300 lbs, 6 ft 11 in square hide and 18 11/16 skull. It’s one of those in-between bears, bigger than the usual 4 yr old and smaller than a 5 yr old. A great bear no matter what!

17-May-19

Ed Keppler
Ed Keppler
330 lbs
330 lbs
And Ed Keppler from Texas took his first animal with a bow! 330 lbs, 19 10/16 head, hide squared 6 ft 8 in, stocky bugger!! Ed has killed a couple big ones with us with a rifle too, two weighing over 400 lbs, 420 and 450.

17-May-19

Melon head!
Melon head!
and another big one came in late last night!

17-May-19
We need to hear more about that last one!

18-May-19
I agree with hdaman

18-May-19

Joe League
Joe League
320 lbs, big spring weight bear!
320 lbs, big spring weight bear!
Before picture, with the 36" tall post at work
Before picture, with the 36" tall post at work
The melon head bear, wide but short snout. 18 12/16, short legs so only squared 6 ft 8 inches and weighed a solid 320 lbs, a great bear which will make a beautiful life size mount.

18-May-19
A beauty!

18-May-19
Beautiful bear congrats to Joe!

18-May-19
Nice one.

18-May-19

Guide Gerard about to get eaten!
Guide Gerard about to get eaten!
Kind of a funny trail cam pic, looks like the bear is ready to launch!

18-May-19
Great bears so far. Maybe after the mule deer hunt..... loved having those bears walk in on me during the moose hunt.

19-May-19
caribou77, luke anderson. Yeah that would be great. It's a really fun hunt where you get to watch lots of bears up close. It's the best way to build up a real interest and love for the bears.

20-May-19
We did better this past week with 5 kills for 6 hunters, all with skulls over the Pope and Young minimum of 18 inches and 2 going over 19 inches. The one unsuccessful repeat hunter was looking for a big one. Plus tons of bears seen and lots of laughs. Bear camp is always a great time!

20-May-19
UNREAL!

21-May-19

Nick Snoke
Nick Snoke
Thanks midwest!

Three time repeat hunter, Nick Snoke, finally gets a big one with us! This bear was passed up by a couple other hunters but Nick recognized the bear for what he was, a mature but lean, lanky boar. Squared just under 7 feet, 305 lbs and a 19 7/16 skull! Definitely an older boar. We are sure getting weights, skulls and hide size all over the map this year. It's like wilderness area bears where you just can't tell how old a bear is from the 3 measurements. Kind of weird for us.

23-May-19

Tyler Ukrainetz amazed or something? Kid's always making faces...
Tyler Ukrainetz amazed or something? Kid's always making faces...
It always fun to get out with the family to do some bear viewing. We saw 7 bears in about an hour. Our hunters have been seeing crazy numbers of bears, many guys saying they are seeing 15-20 different bears in a single evening and if we move them to 2-3 sites in a week they are seeing upwards of 50 different bears! One hunter said he could see 14 bears at one time, it's been a slow green up so that's why I think it's better than ever.

23-May-19

Big wooden box blinds are a unique feature of our hunt.
Big wooden box blinds are a unique feature of our hunt.

23-May-19

A hunter and a guide or a non hunter can easily fit in the blinds, or in this case 4 of us cram in there. I think Tyler lost a smartie.
A hunter and a guide or a non hunter can easily fit in the blinds, or in this case 4 of us cram in there. I think Tyler lost a smartie.

23-May-19

You can get some great ground level photos, I think we could sell bear viewing trips!
You can get some great ground level photos, I think we could sell bear viewing trips!

23-May-19
I've only hunted bear once and it was from a treestand. I think if I did it again it would definitely be an outfitter with ground blinds like this or a spot and stalk.

23-May-19
Mike, I agree, you could probably sell the bear watching trips. You guys took such great care of Sandy last year, she really loved watching once she got over the initial jitters. I can't say enough good things about you guys.

23-May-19
Pat-you're up next! Good luck, have fun with Mike and the crew, and post some great photos!

24-May-19
Thanks for the kind comments. The ground blinds really are an incredible experience with bears sticking their heads right inside. We’ve had lots of people actually touch the bears nose! Other bears have run right into the blinds while running away from another bear, bit scary but fun too.

24-May-19

Pete Drummond
Pete Drummond
We finished up early with our 3rd week of hunters, 6 guys who shot 9 bears, a few more than the 1 bear for 5 guys on the first week! Pete here got one of the big ones at a 19 5/16 skull, hide went 6' 8" and weighed 300 lbs. Great pic of proud Pete and his bear!

24-May-19
Here are my awesome guides with another big bear taken by Dave C. 340 lbs, 19 10/16 skull, 7 foot hide.

Dave didn't want his pic with any bears for fear of being Cecil'd. It's a shame that hunters have to be worried about that nowadays but it's a real fear especially if you are a high profile guy. The Evil, White Trophy Hunter is the latest fake news that can go viral and change a guys life and unfortunately even change world wide hunting regulations. And it can mess with an outfitters business too, where you can get your social media accounts hacked into and shut down.

24-May-19
Awesome thread

24-May-19

Private Jet
Private Jet
The hunters flew in on a private jet. Very nice guys, interesting to talk to, great people. They could hardly fit all of their bear hides and all the meat into the plane. You don't even have to take the bear meat in Alberta but they did. They shot 5 big male bears and 4 big sows at my request, we have too many bears and actually need a population reduction so we encourage hunters to kill big old boars and big old sows. Our mature sows will weigh 200 to 250 lbs, sometimes even more, and will have hides in the 6 to 6 1/2 foot range. They make a beautiful rug, better than a young boar, and if we don't kill them the farmers and beekeepers have to and then will leave them to rot.

24-May-19

Dave C's bear. 340 lbs, 19 10/16 skull, 7 foot hide.
Dave C's bear. 340 lbs, 19 10/16 skull, 7 foot hide.
Dave's bear pic wouldn't post on the other entry so here it is with my guides.

Thanks kakiat kid! Glad you are enjoying it.

25-May-19
Congrats on another stellar year Mike!

Keep the pics and stories rolling!

Mark

26-May-19

Hunter Mike's bear
Hunter Mike's bear
Here is a poor pic of Mike's bear draped over a quad, 365 lbs, 20 3/16 head, squared right at 7 ft. Our biggest one so far. Mike was thrilled to get it. Thanks Mark! Love to have you back up for another hunt, those big ole muleys are calling your name!!

26-May-19
Wow Mike, those are some really nice bears! Kurt

26-May-19
Stacking up more monsters again this year I see! Congrats to all your hunters, Mike!

26-May-19
Hey Mike!!

How old does a child need to be to hunt in AB? I’ve been bear hunting in MB and ON a few times several years ago, but now have a 12 year old son that I’d love to bring up. I’ve been following this thread every year since you started it. Looks like an awesome time!

27-May-19
Its unbelievable. One night Mike saw 33 bears. The least I saw was 6. And I was hunting a 400 lber but he didn't show.

27-May-19
Thanks Kurt and t-Roy! JohnW it is 12 yrs old in Alberta. I’ve had a couple guys make it their kids 12 yr old birthday present! (Bit extravagant but I think it was just an excuse to sell it to the wifey) fun birthday though especially when you can sit in the box together and have such crazy close up action. Pete, it was a pleasure to have you and the guys in camp. Even got to sip my first 18 yr old Macallan Scotch because of your crew! We’ll get the next go round all set up.

27-May-19

petedrummond's embedded Photo
petedrummond's embedded Photo

27-May-19
Mike

Our group is looking forward to our trip. Only 24 more months. Feels like tomorrow!

27-May-19
Some great bears taken thanks for posting!

27-May-19
Great thread, great information, thanks for doing this thread.

29-May-19

Kill from the field upon recovery!
Kill from the field upon recovery!

29-May-19

Jeremy O'Donnell
Jeremy O'Donnell
Look Mom! No hands!!
Look Mom! No hands!!
Here is Jeremy with the lawn pic of his big bear, 20 inch head, 7 ft square, 365 lbs. Shot on WetnWild for those familiar with our bait sites. Jeremy has shot 3 bears and this is his biggest. Very happy guy with no hands on the scale!

29-May-19

29-May-19

Pat Gribben
Pat Gribben
Pat Gribben with his first Pope and Young qualifying animal at 18 4/16, 250 lbs, 6 ft 7 inch.

29-May-19

Parker Clements
Parker Clements
Repeat hunter Parker Clements with his 19 inch 6 ft 11 incher, 360 lbs.

30-May-19
Nice job Mike! No wonder your clients keep coming back!

31-May-19

31-May-19

Scott Murdoch
Scott Murdoch
Scott Murdoch with an absolute giant! This is the bear from the trail cam pic above on April 28th, we've been trying to kill him all month, and for three years, on two different baits that he was bouncing between. Finally he came in for Scott but he was very cagey, staying behind the crib wall and offering no shot. He was brought in by a hot sow. Scott stayed in the shadows in the back of the box waiting for a shot, 3 hours later in the baking heat of the box in came the beast.

and Thanks hdaman! Love to have you back!!

31-May-19

Before...
Before...

31-May-19
Quality bears get quality photos. Congrats!

31-May-19
Wow what a TANK can't wait for the stats on him

31-May-19

425 lbs!
425 lbs!
Big, big body! A legit 400+ lb bear in Alberta is a fairly rare beast, we will kill quite a few 20+ inch head bears and even 21+ inchers who do not break 400 lbs. They need the genetics of a big frame, especially leg length like this guy. You could kill two bears whose hides square the exact same, over 7 feet yet one will weigh 360 and the other one 420. The most exciting bears to take are the ones that have it all, big head, big weight and a big hide!

This bear has an awesome looking chest blaze too.

31-May-19
Brute.

01-Jun-19

4 7/8 inch front pad
4 7/8 inch front pad
Scott's bear had a 20 and 12/16 skull and a 4 7/8 inch wide front pad which is normal for a 7 footer, rarely do Alberta black bears ever break 5 inches wide, I sometimes hear about black bears with a 6 inch wide front pad but I've never measured one even close to that! Never one even over 5 1/2 inches.

01-Jun-19
It looks huge in the pic on the scale.

01-Jun-19
It's hide squared out a t 7 foot 3 inches. Giant class. Scott also killed a 400 pounder last time he was with us, lucky guy!

02-Jun-19

Blake Brecklein
Blake Brecklein
Blake Brecklein with a big, fat sow! 200 lbs, hide squared 6 ft 3 in and a skull of 17 9/16. A great last day bear after 5 days of diligently trying to kill a big ole boar.

Our main mission is killing big, old male bears. Our secondary mission is now reducing the population of bears or at least the numbers of sows on our baits. We have been feeding these bears heavy for 10 years now and the numbers of bears on our baits is crazy, hard to keep up with feeding them, and the number of sows has now made it more difficult to kill the big boars. They just have too many sows to choose from when the breeding rolls around. We encourage everyone to hold out for a big male but if you want to make sure you take a bear home, we say pick out the biggest sow and take her! The big sows will weigh as much as a 3 or even a 4 year old male bear and have a nicer coat, fatter body and shorter legs which is best for a rug anyway. Skulls are close to the P and Y minimum, some over it, and hides square over 6 feet. So, THANKS BLAKE!

02-Jun-19

Matt Clements
Matt Clements
300 lbs! Whoohoo!!
300 lbs! Whoohoo!!
Matt was willing to go home without a bear, he had taken a nice boar with us a couple years ago, and so held out for a big male till the last hour of the last day. No reward without risk! 300 lbs, 18 4/16 and 6 ft 8 in square hide. This bear also shows how our heavy feeding is affecting the average weight of all the bears, I would say with 99% certainty that this is a 4 yr old and the average one used to weigh about 250 lbs, then around 280 now some are hitting 300 lbs!

03-Jun-19

Unloading Candy!
Unloading Candy!
Here is some of the bait we use being unloaded, 55,000 lbs of licorice. My 70 horse Kubota could barely lift some of the almost 3000 lb pallets! Almost tipped the loaded tractor over at one point, yikes.

04-Jun-19

Mike McCrae
Mike McCrae
Finally got the Blueberry Bear, had to track him down about a mile with a whole gang of killers but we got it done!

05-Jun-19

Mike McCrae
Mike McCrae
Mike's shot was a bit back and they found him laid up in a swamp so not the best pic. Actually has a beautiful hide. Great bear, 340 lbs, 19 7/16 head, squared 7 ft 2 in.

07-Jun-19

Shane Campbell
Shane Campbell
Shane’s Birthday Bear! He wanted to make sure he celebrated his 43rd birthday with his first bear bowkill, a big sow helped him celebrate. Happy Hunter!

07-Jun-19

Jimmy Gulley and guide Kevin Carlson
Jimmy Gulley and guide Kevin Carlson
A 20+ inch head is hard to come by, even in the best areas.
A 20+ inch head is hard to come by, even in the best areas.
A 400 plus pounder and a 20 inch head AND a hide over 7 feet is REALLY hard to get, never mind shooting another 19 incher the same day, a super rare feat.
A 400 plus pounder and a 20 inch head AND a hide over 7 feet is REALLY hard to get, never mind shooting another 19 incher the same day, a super rare feat.
Jim's double! Jim patiently waited for a bear to meet our minimum kill standard and in walked a good solid boar. One perfect shot later and Jim had his first bow killed bear, 300 lbs, 19 0/16 skull and a 6 ft 8 in hide. Then 10 minutes later the BIG one walked in! Another well placed arrow and Jim had a giant!! 400 lbs, 20 7/16 skull and squared out at 7 ft 3 inches. Both bears went less than 50 yds. Gotta love Alberta and the 2 bear limit. Congrats Jim!! Whoohooo!

08-Jun-19

Giant Chocolate bear!
Giant Chocolate bear!
Big, big black!
Big, big black!
You know the rut is going good when two giants show up on the same bait within a day of each other! A big chocolate colored bear a huge, melon headed black. A good spot to fill both your tags!!

09-Jun-19

Giant coming up...
Giant coming up...

21-Jun-19

Shane Campbell with his monster bear! And Jim Gulley getting in on the action. Jim killed his 2 bears and then helped out guide Kevin and Jim loved every minute of his hunting holiday, said it was one of the best weeks of his life!
Shane Campbell with his monster bear! And Jim Gulley getting in on the action. Jim killed his 2 bears and then helped out guide Kevin and Jim loved every minute of his hunting holiday, said it was one of the best weeks of his life!
Shane got his first Birthday Bear on the 2nd day of the hunt and then was holding out for a big one. After awhile he started to wonder where his big one was?! With our focus on trophy bears we sometimes give the impression that everyone will get a big one if they just hold out a few days, that just isn't always the case. Some hunters just may not see a big boar, even if they do see 40-50 bears in a hunt with us.

Anyway, patience on Shane's part did work out with him getting this huge bear. 430 lbs is SO rare and the hide squared out at a giant 7 foot 6 inches! The biggest one of the year for both measurements. Then looking at the head we all swore the thing would break 21 inches, if not well over. We killed a 21 10/16 last year and it looked just as big. Well, it went 20 1/16, big for sure but a bit of a bummer for the big head aficionados. It just shows too that you certainly can't guess head size on a live bear when us experienced guides can't even guess it right on a dead one laying right in front of us!

21-Jun-19

Dan Day
Dan Day
Dan held out for a big one for 4 days of his 6 day hunt and then on the 5th day followed our advice to kill a big sow on his bait. That's how we do it here, just like a Quality Deer Management program, kill a mature 5+ yr old male or kill a big female. We have too many bears, we can't keep up with feeding them all no matter how much feed we pour to them. Plus it becomes hard to kill the big boars if they have too many females to choose from during breeding so Dan was helping us out with killing this sow. A big one! 240 lbs, 6 ft 8 in hide and a P & Y qualifying skull at 18 3/16. Hopefully it doesn't dry out of the record books. And a big sow like this has a much nicer coat than a boar of equivalent weight or even a boar 30-40 lbs heavier and the sow will make a beautiful rug with it's fat body and short legs.

Dan continued to hold out for a big boar but it just wasn't meant to be for him. It was really great to see Dan stay positive and happy throughout the hunt, never losing faith and having a great time. Some hunters get pretty sour after just 2-3 days of hunting with no big bear. Thanks Dan! We'll get you a big one next time!!

21-Jun-19

The Last Day
The Last Day
Here is a pic of some last day pandemonium! Getting a couple bears skinned at 1 am. My guides are some of the hardest working guides you'll ever meet, often up till 2-3 am and then right back at it every morning at 8 am. Their passion and love for the hunting lifestyle shows through every day.

21-Jun-19

21-Jun-19

Brooke Ukrainetz
Brooke Ukrainetz
Brooke was truly disappointed that we didn't get a bear but I was so happy just to get to hang out with her sitting out in the fresh air.
Brooke was truly disappointed that we didn't get a bear but I was so happy just to get to hang out with her sitting out in the fresh air.
My daughter Brooke was up at bear camp for the last week and we went after a grain bin raiding bear. We had to sit in lawn chairs out in the open, built a little ground blind and had fun. Only one small bear came in and even though we needed to get rid of it we didn't have the heart to shoot it. Just had a fun time watching it and hoping it would grow bigger right before our eyes. No such luck. I loved hanging out with her and I think she enjoyed her time with Dad too.

21-Jun-19

Brooke and Ally Graham came up together with Ally's dad Rod. He's a fur tanner, skull cleaner, trapper and all around good guy. They visited Sugar Creek Taxidermy on the way up.
Brooke and Ally Graham came up together with Ally's dad Rod. He's a fur tanner, skull cleaner, trapper and all around good guy. They visited Sugar Creek Taxidermy on the way up.
I also got a set of beaver skin gloves with a lambskin lining from Ally. Warmest gloves I'll ever have! I plan on wearing them on the ski hill, that should be fun.
I also got a set of beaver skin gloves with a lambskin lining from Ally. Warmest gloves I'll ever have! I plan on wearing them on the ski hill, that should be fun.
Two 12 year old girls having fun hunting bears, a big adventure. Ally got a 210 lb sow with her rifle.

21-Jun-19

Guide Gerard Van Den Boogaard
Guide Gerard Van Den Boogaard
Mariella Van Den Boogaard, Gerard's sister got this 18 8/16 skull bear off Gerard's bait.
Mariella Van Den Boogaard, Gerard's sister got this 18 8/16 skull bear off Gerard's bait.
My head spring bear guide Gerard gets to run one bait for himself in an out of the way spot that doesn't affect our hunts. He took this big boar the last week, 19 10/16 skull. Gerard came out from Ontario to work for me 4 years ago and he has been a huge asset to my outfit, him and my other great guides Kevin, Alec, Kyle, and Josh have allowed me to step away from the day to day guiding and focus on making our outfit better than ever.

We have such a big guiding territory that I can reward my guides by allowing them to hunt for themselves on their days off or trade days of hunting for work like Gerard did the last week. These guides love to hunt and it keeps them sharp and sometimes humble when they get to pursue their own personal hunting. Gerard also got to bring a group of family and friends up for the last 5 days, they had a blast and all worked to get the end of the season wrapped up.

21-Jun-19

Guide Alec Zabel hauling out a last day bear hide.
Guide Alec Zabel hauling out a last day bear hide.
Well, that's a wrap on our season! Sorry that I didn't post more hunter in the field pics and mostly just did hero shots. It's hard to keep up with it all along with running everything and this is also when I do a lot of my whitetail deer scouting and brush clearing so I'm a busy guy every day. I love it though, guiding, outfitting and hunting is all I've ever wanted to do. I think all the hunters had a great time and we really appreciate all of them hunting with us!

For some stats on our hunts we hosted 29 hunters who shot 32 bears, 27 kills, 5 minor wounds. 20 of the 27 bears killed had skulls over 18 inches, the other 7 bears were all females shot on purpose, no young males were killed and no small or female colored ones were killed. 13 of the 20 bears had skulls over 19 inches with 3 of them going over 20 inches, no 21+ inchers were killed this year. Then for weight on a scale, not estimated, 14 bears went over 300 lbs, 6 of them over 350 lbs and 3 over 400 lbs. This was an average year for us, we've done a bit better and a bit worse. The really great part is that we have a ton of young up and comer boars, 200-280 pounders, including some beauty colored ones that will be big, beasts in the next year or two. I really believe we will soon get to a place where we can kill 20-30 boars year after year, all weighing over 300 lbs and all 19 plus inch heads. Our guide area is 1200 sq miles and we can access every part of it spreading our 30 bait sites all over, never over hunting any of it and leaving portions of it unhunted by us. This was our 27th year in the same area and the hunting is as good as ever, if not better!

We also had a ton of fun, lots of laughs and too much good food made by our chef PJ. SEE YOU ALL NEXT YEAR!! HOPE YOU ENJOYED THE THREAD?!! LOVE TO GET ANY FEEDBACK, GOOD OR BAD. THANKS FOR FOLLOWING ALONG.

21-Jun-19
To do what you love is a true blessing. Many more great years.

21-Jun-19
Great year Mike and most importantly a safe one! Congrats to you and your hunters. Enjoy your summer!

21-Jun-19
Thank you for all your posts Mike,and thank you for coaching Kyle and helping him with his bear outfit.I have hunted with Kyle the last 2 years,and will be back next year just because it is such a good time.He is a great young man,that is a pleasure to be around,and I am sure that his camp is a mirror of yours.

21-Jun-19
Awesome! Looks like a great camp. Thanks for taking us along for the ride. Here’s to next year!!

22-Jun-19
Thanks guys and gals!

22-Jun-19
Awesome work Mike! Thanks for sharing with us.

22-Jun-19
first class operation w first class game population. Went bear this year moose next year and bear in 2021.

22-Jun-19
Thanks for taking the time to post what ya can!

22-Jun-19
Outstanding season, Mike...thanks for sharing it with us!

23-Jun-19
Thanks for sharing I enjoy all the bear outfitter posts

• Sitka Gear