AZBUGLER 08-May-19
Bowfreak 09-May-19
midwest 09-May-19
SteveD 09-May-19
elkstabber 10-May-19
APauls 10-May-19
dirtclod Az. 10-May-19
08-May-19
North Dakota just passed a law effective Aug 1 on trail camera use. Written permission from land owner or register them with state game or name address on them. Do other states have such laws?

08-May-19
Need to register them to keep them out of the hands of criminals and the mentally unstable....

08-May-19

elkstabber's Link
Nevada banned them on public land last year. See link.

08-May-19
Laws on trail cams, amazing. Never heard of such a thing. Legislatures have totally messed up priorities.

08-May-19
"Nevada banned them on public land last year. See link."

A place where you can buy a hooker but cant put a trail cam on public land!?!

08-May-19
X2 Destroyer.....both are meant to "catch" something.

08-May-19
What’s next? A ban on phone cameras? Cameras are everywhere

08-May-19
EDIT: Correction, AZ never passed the proposed limits on game cameras.

MT has date-specific restrictions.

08-May-19
I wonder what the point of these laws are? What behaviors are they designed to punish?

08-May-19
Elkstabber's link explains it pretty well.

08-May-19
An Orwellian answer might be, "Banning trail cameras will stop theft of trail cameras".

I will say from past experience that its disconcerting to be sitting a waterhole that has multiple cameras around it, and some guy comes in to check his cameras while I'm hunting. In my case we had a friendly discussion and he agreed to check them when I wasn't hunting, because his season was later. But that's not always the case.

I would be in favor of disallowing camera use on public land during any open season. Private land is a different deal.

08-May-19
That does explain the reasoning better. Completely different circumstances than what I'm used to, so it makes since that those states may need different rules.

08-May-19
Two years ago, Montana changed the law, where we can keep our cameras out year round. It use to be, when there was a big game season open, you could not have them out.

08-May-19
In ND if private property is not posted it is not necessary to have permission to hunt. There was a proposal to change that but I haven't seen where that went through. I'm guessing this trail camera thing was maybe a compromise. Some land owners might not have minded people hunting but didn't care for cameras? Just a guess, I really don't know.

08-May-19
Actually inre. Nevada camera laws, they aren’t illegal. There is just a certain time frame when they have to be removed. They needed to do this because outfitters and their associates were taking pictures and selling them to drum up business. We have bighorn sheep, Mtn goats and large elk in Nv. A friend of mine who is a game warden counted 10 cameras in around one water hole for some California bighorns. That’s ridiculous.

08-May-19
We were lucky to beat a proposal here in AZ. That being said, they did ban the ones that are live action notifications.

Bottom line, it’s dumb. Laws where there don’t need to be laws. Anyone who runs a bunch of cameras knows that it requires a bunch of time and effort and expense as well and does NOT guarantee getting the targeted animal by a large margin.

09-May-19
I have grown to the point that I don't even like hanging trail cameras. I like not knowing what might be around. I also think trail cameras give one the same sense as strip clubs. Both offer up something you are more than likely never going to have an interaction with.

09-May-19
I think the NV law is a good law. I'm not much for sitting water but on an August bowhunt in NV, it might be your best option for success. Sitting water with a bunch of cameras around it or having your hunt disrupted by someone checking cams would definitely put a damper in your, likely, once in a lifetime hunt.

09-May-19
I agree with Stix. Electronics in the field especially on public should be banned.learn to use a compass and boot leather and take the time and hunt.

10-May-19
Bowfreak that is hilarious!!! Trail cams and strip clubs are nothing more than a tease.

10-May-19
before trail cams I had no clue how much wildlife (and other things) there was out there walking around.

10-May-19
Remove electronics on public land. What a great idea. I can't imagine anyone getting lost, or not needing emergency help of some kind.

I'd be fine with no trail cams though. As fun as it is to have them.

10-May-19
Az. law on live action game cams is a good thing.Sitting in camp watching a monitor is not hunting and not ethical.

• Sitka Gear