elkstabber 14-May-19
ELKMAN 14-May-19
Shawn 14-May-19
hoyt-6190 14-May-19
COHOYTHUNTER 14-May-19
12yards 14-May-19
x-man 14-May-19
14-May-19
So my bow is tuned to shoot Easton FMJ 5mm 340 arrows at 11.3 grains per inch. Would tune change if I shoot say a Easton Axis 340 at 9.4 gpi? Is the spine what matters or is the gpi play much of a factor in determining the tune? I understand I would have to resight the bow in, just wondering if tune would be the same as they have the same spine and o.d.

14-May-19
On a recurve or a longbow, it would change a BUNCH.

I’m going to guess that you will end up way too stiff, though maybe with a drop-away rest, etc you could swing it.

I would just re-tune from the ground up.

14-May-19
The tune will be different because your arrow will be leaving the bow at a faster speed. This is assuming that you're using the same fletching, insert, point, etc on both arrows. The lighterweight Axis shaft will need a stiffer dynamic spine (cut shaft shorter or maybe use a lighter point weight). Or, most likely, you may not find it to be noticeable at all.

14-May-19
No it shouldn't if you cut same length and use same point weight. But you will obviously need to change your sighting down range.

14-May-19
No you will have to change your sight but spine is spine. I have gone from 9.4 gpi to 7.4 gpi and only had to change my sight a very small bit. Shawn

14-May-19
I figured sights will obviously move cause of the velocity difference. I just wasn’t quite sure if two arrows with same spine, same o.d., same manufacturer but different gpi would cause a change

14-May-19
It might change very slightly if anything... Easy to check with a couple bare shaft shots at 10 and 20 yrds.. and if you're already paper tuned and the diameter of both arrows are 5mm, there should not be much difference if any

14-May-19
I don't notice much difference when shooting my Camo Beman ICS Hunters 340 spine (10 gpi) vs. my GT XT Hunters 340 spine at 8.9 gpi.

14-May-19
All else equal, it will not change your tune on a modern compound bow.

• Sitka Gear