Carcajou 01-Jul-19
Treeline 01-Jul-19
Tom 02-Jul-19
Treeline 02-Jul-19
Two Feathers 02-Jul-19
Jaquomo 02-Jul-19
Ambush 02-Jul-19
14-May-19
Utah Archery season happens in August and early September before the rut kicks in. Would you guys buy a doe or buck pronghorn decoy and why? Also, if not the ultimate predator decoy, which ones do you prefer?

14-May-19
Buck. I have one and a call that keeps them near when seen.

14-May-19
Would you mind elaborating about the call you use, and what brand it is?

03-Jun-19
I've never had luck with a decoy. They seemed to hate it! Even the cows knew something was up and approached with caution. After I saw the cows behave this way I took it up and had an antelope in range and arrowed within 2 hours.

03-Jun-19
I’ve never had luck using antelope decoys in August and early September. I think decoys can be really effective during the rut.

28-Jun-19

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
a 20 yard shot
a 20 yard shot
I tend to agree with Ermine. Last year I use a bedded buck decoy in a new winter wheat field where the pronghorns were feeding. This was in mid Sept and the bucks were not in the major rut stand but were just feeling their Oats. I had a few bucks come by the bedded buck as it posed no threat to them but acted at a neutral bedded buck. It worked.

29-Jun-19
Lohman call. Easy to replicate buck grunt. When stalking them and you come out or over from the last cover possible is when I am using call and decoy.

01-Jul-19
Paul, as always, thanks for sharing your photos in sequence, you get it done every year.

01-Jul-19

Treeline's embedded Photo
Treeline's embedded Photo
This is my buddy Angelo with a goat that he got using the Ultimate Predator doe decoy. We basically stalked in as close as we could get until we ran out of cover and then he popped up the decoy at about 80 yards. The does all just froze, but the buck came over to investigate.

He shot the buck at about 40 yards.

That was later in the season when they were closer to the rut. I think decoys will work better in the rut than early, but they can help you get closer on a stalk. A bedded doe decoy may be just the ticket early season in a popup to get a buck to at least calm down and wander through in range.

02-Jul-19
So my first time ever hunting antelope will be this season. So when does the rut typically kick in?? I have a tag for central Wyoming and so does my son. We are thinking about getting a decoy. Unfortunately we can only go the 2nd week of September.

02-Jul-19
The bucks will be around the does at any time. The rut seems to really get going the end of September/first of October.

02-Jul-19

Two Feathers's Link
I've watched Randy Newberg on you tube hunt antelope and I am very impressed with his decoy. He wears it and it's all spot and stalk. Very effective decoy!

02-Jul-19
Randy uses the Be The Decoy outfit. Similar to my elk and muley outfits they copied.

02-Jul-19
I like to be in good company, so I’m going to copy the idea for a goat hat. Between that and the Ultimate Predator goat, I might get more Billy than I bargained for!

• Sitka Gear