MT Livin' 13-Jun-19
Trial153 13-Jun-19
bb 13-Jun-19
TreeWalker 13-Jun-19
DonVathome 16-Nov-20
Zim 23-Nov-20
Bou'bound 23-Nov-20
15-May-19
Last day to enter. I know several who down play this as a money grab but when I read of the several hundred dollars lots of you spend on other lotteries this one is cheap. Maine will be adding permits this year with NR getting 10% so should be around 300 NR permits. one chance $15, 3 for $25, 6 for $35 and ten for $55. PM me with any questions and you have until 11.59 PM

15-May-19
Applied several of us last week. My 3-1/2 yr old grandson will now have 4 points, and my 1-1/2 yr old granddaughter will have 2. Both have lifetime Maine hunting licenses, so once they're old enough, they'll always be in the resident draw no matter where they live.

Sad to see that Vermont once again will be offering no Moose licenses. They even cancelled the fundraiser and military tags.

15-May-19
The Maine points are all a scam I’ve met people in Maine that got tags on their fifth year while people who have put in for 15 years still haven’t been drawn.

15-May-19
Ive been on it as a non resident for 5 years and still no luck.

15-May-19
How is it a scam? It's a drawing, not a guarantee based on whoever has put in the longest getting drawn first.

15-May-19
It’s a scam because why build up points when someone can just win after 3-5 years and you have been putting in for 15?

15-May-19
PRODE is right its a drawing done electronicly . Some win first year others it takes a long time. Spike whats your chances of drawing a moose permit in Mass? I bet zero

15-May-19
My point is why have points if it is so random?

15-May-19
The point is each point increases your odds of drawing but there is never a guarantee no matter how many points you just get put in the drawing a extra time for each point. Which sounds like a bonus point system and not a true preference point system. If they had a true preference point system you'd probably have to wait 20-30 years to hunt if you were one of the lucky guys who started gaining points the first or second year.

15-May-19
The big 3 in North Dakota elk moose bighorn I’ve been applying for 40 years but did get moose no preference point system. So it does kinda suck when a 16 year old gets it 1st year it does happen. It was 3 bucks now it’s 5 for each one to apply cheapest big game hunt you will ever have.

15-May-19
I can't remember when I started collecting points in Maine. Hope 60 this year will get me a tag!

15-May-19
Push you are right more like a bonus point system set up for resident as you can only put in one chance per year. You get a bonus point each year for the first five years and then two bonus points per year for the next five years, three points for the third five years and ten points a year after that. NR get the same but can buy as many chances per year as they want. So if a NR wanted to spend say $550 he would get 100 chances that year but gain only one bonus chance. Odd system but it is what it is. As a resident I have put in for 37 years and picked three times one of my brothers has been picked 6 times and two others only once each. The biggest problem is you can only hunt the six days that you get picked for with a chance to swap you days with another hunter if you choose. If you get a good zone and sept, or first week in October then the success rate is over 70%

15-May-19
Push you are right more like a bonus point system set up for resident as you can only put in one chance per year. You get a bonus point each year for the first five years and then two bonus points per year for the next five years, three points for the third five years and ten points a year after that. NR get the same but can buy as many chances per year as they want. So if a NR wanted to spend say $550 he would get 100 chances that year but gain only one bonus chance. Odd system but it is what it is. As a resident I have put in for 37 years and picked three times one of my brothers has been picked 6 times and two others only once each. The biggest problem is you can only hunt the six days that you get picked for with a chance to swap you days with another hunter if you choose. If you get a good zone and sept, or first week in October then the success rate is over 70%

15-May-19
Definitely a odd system. Is there a cap on non resident tag allocation?

15-May-19
Isn't that why they call it a lottery? Random drawing (with better odds with points).

15-May-19
But it is not better odds with points that’s the whole point.

15-May-19
yes there is a cap on the NR tags at 10%

15-May-19
to clarify the NR tag allocation the total tags can be adjusted and are currently around 2400 tags per year but the current legislature is proposing to adjust up to around 3000 this year as the recent censis says around 60,000 to 70,000 moose are in the state. If it were up to DIFG (which it should be not the legislatire) we would have 5 to 6 k tags per year as the goal was to allocate 10% of the population as tags

15-May-19
looks like someone failed Statistics class :)

09-Jun-19
How is it a family of 10+ all get drawn for different areas, seasons and antlered and antlerless. Seems like BS.

09-Jun-19
No tag for this guys again

09-Jun-19
Told you it was rigged

09-Jun-19
My father drew unit 2! 18 years and he pulled early season. He has shot a moose before so he said I can shoot one. Any one have experience with a guide near portage Ashland area. Mine has retired.

09-Jun-19
The scam part comes in when you apply for a tag and receive a bonus point when unsuccessful, then the state turns around and sells bonus points by the fist-full in however many quantities you want to buy. Which de- values the bonus points every one gets for applying. I get the lottery thing, but it's hard to argue against money grab the way they conduct it. You can still have a lottery without de- valuing the bonus points.

09-Jun-19
Maine is the absolute worst draw system possible

09-Jun-19
I agree Maine is a scam. If it was a straight point system or even a bonus point system similiar to Nevada (points squared) the odds off a resident eventually bei ng drawn are decent. As far as I know it's the only state where you can buy extra points. I'm a nonresident but for years applied with my resident great uncle as a sub-permitee. He was retired on a fixed income, was old school and not about to fork extra money to the state for extra points. We applied for years until he passed away and were never drawn.

11-Jun-19
Only non-residents can buy extra chances, Residents cannot.

Never understood why some guys think it's a scam Apply or don't apply, pretty simple. They set the rules, you get to decide if you want to play.

The points are pretty simple, you get extra chances. IT'S A LOTTERY. If you applied last year you get 2 chances (2 lottery tickets) this year. That increases your chances; but not by very much. A non-resident can buy additional lottery tickets.

The state of Maine has done a great job with their Moose herd, they use this as A Money Maker to pay for their programs.

Guys just like to bitch I guess.

11-Jun-19

IdyllwildArcher's Link
Results are up. No luck here.

11-Jun-19
I agree ACE I wish every state would base their game drawings on the Maine moose model. Let us know if you ever draw a tag.

13-Jun-19
It's a scam because NR's can buy as many bonus points as they can afford, name one other State that does that?????? Do the math, but like any lottery, feel free to throw your money away just "hoping for the dream"

too funny

13-Jun-19
Not to mention that the added the purchase option was put in place years after they were awarding bonus points to NR who didnt draw. Total bullshit

13-Jun-19
I suppose if Maine is the only state you apply for big game draws, then you really have nothing to compare it to. Every other state that has a draw system manages their big game very well, many of those states have Moose in addition to multiple other big game species to manage. They have put in place a system whereby an applicant that plays the game for a period of time has a reasonable expectation of drawing at least once in their lifetime. How is it that other states with multiple big game species, all managed reasonably can do this and Maine cannot. Their thought is to sell as many lottery tickets as possible and give no one a reasonable expectation of ever drawing. The system is nothing more than a money grab. paint it any way you want but it won't change that fact. "Some people like to bitch" Not really, one would have to care enough about the maine moose application process to fall under that category. Just calling balls and strikes as I see them.

13-Jun-19
There are only so many moose or sheep or goat so a LOT of applicants in most states never draw a bull moose tag as a non-resident. Idaho is probably you best best as a NR though if apply for moose then can't apply for sheep nor goat nor elk nor deer nor pronghorn in the main limited entry draws.

I will probably never draw as a NR in UT, WY, CO, MT, etc. Likely will never draw in ME, either as NR. I will likely never draw bull moose tag in WA even as a resident.

You can change the way tags are awarded but there are always going to be many more applicants than moose, sheep and goat tags. Preference point systems screw anyone that begins after Year 1 and that includes your kids and grandkids. Bonus Squared systems screw over anyone that begins after Year 1 but less than Preference ones. Bonus point systems screw over anyone that begins after Year 1 but less than Preference and Bonus Squared.

Random is the fairest system and your reward for loyalty is you were in more draws than someone who only began applying recently. To keep your lucky neighbor from drawing every year then you can institute a wait period of several years for anyone that gets a tag or even make Once a Lifetime which is the ultimate wait period.

As for the idea you can pay more to improve your odds that is a scam. If you want to reward wealth then auction a tag or two and then put a couple of tags in a lottery with no cap on entries you buy but the main draw should not put Joe SixPack at a disadvantage of drawing vs. Richie Rich.

16-Nov-20
I apply a lot and have a good grasp of math. Maine is really rough and I wish their system was like almost any Western State. You can draw almost any of the once-in-a-lifetime tags out west if you started At least 15 years ago. I did and Maine is one of the few I probably will not draw. WY will probably be the first Western State to make another change to make more money. I don't think it's fair but from a business point of view it's a great move

23-Nov-20
On top of Maine’s NR bonus point peddling I’m surprised nobody has mentioned them pissing away 20% of the NR tags to outfitter welfare starting a couple years ago. I guess because all the western states think this is a great idea??? Maine has a long history of running off invested moose point holders. I had many links saved at one point. The legislators shamelessly and unprofessionally joke about screwing nonresidents openly during sessions. Never read anything like this stuff before. As a max NR point holder the least they could go for me would be to publish how many bonus packs of points they peddle each year so I can calculate my real odds. But I guess they don’t want us to know.

23-Nov-20
Maine lottery spelled backwards is Newfoundland

• Sitka Gear