Rob Nye 27-May-19
Mad Trapper 28-May-19
loesshillsarcher 28-May-19
HeadHunter® 28-May-19
goelk 28-May-19
20-May-19

Ned mobile 's embedded Photo
I heard my friend Mike was in town so slipped out of work for just a few minutes so that I could go meet him while he was having some breakfast with more of my friends. He was responsible for getting myself and my buddy into bow hunting. I hadn’t seen him in over 25 years. Post up your mentors. He created a monster in me around 1984. Lol

20-May-19
Looks like Mike and "Grizzly Adams"... :)

20-May-19

20-May-19

altitude sick's embedded Photo
altitude sick's embedded Photo
Mine passed last year. We built him a stone mountain top memorial. He was my ethics mentor. Always making me a more conscientious hunter.

20-May-19
very cool

20-May-19
Jay, that's awesome brother!

ElkNut/Paul

20-May-19
I have had a lot of people help me over the years: Archery pro shop owners and their employees, friends, guides and outfitters, but Mike was responsible for putting a bow in my hands and saying "Shoot". I always admired his hunting ability and that admiration led me down a much appreciated path.

20-May-19

elkmtngear's embedded Photo
elkmtngear's embedded Photo
I remember shooting with my Dad at a very young age, with my little fiberglass recurve, at a haybail against the shed.

I bowhunted with him as well, even though he was primarily a rifle hunter. In my teens, I really caught the bowhunting bug.

Gotta give my Dad credit...he's 82 years young Today!

20-May-19
Never really had a mentor. I started bowhunting in 1977, and moved cross country several times over the years and had to find or not find new guys o hunt with.

20-May-19

darralld's embedded Photo
darralld's embedded Photo
My Dad, R.I.P. Miss you everyday.

Darrall Dougherty

20-May-19

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
My dad. This pic was taken about 1968.

I remember that hunt, sitting in a jackpine tree with him when he shot that doe.

20-May-19
Dad introduced me to the outdoors. In more ways than I can count, he informs whoever types these words. But not archery. That was "my thing." I read all the notables growing up and they helped but there was a lot of chaff with the wheat.

Honestly, my bow hunting partners have been my mentors. Brighter and more capable; I learn from each.

So, yeah, pity me. ;)

20-May-19
Very nice old pics guys.

20-May-19
Books and magazines featuring Dwight Schuh and Chuck Adams

20-May-19
I never really had a mentor either. I really appreciate and have a bit of envy of those that had a Father or close friend as a mentor. Cool pics above... especially like elkmtngear and cnelk's pics. Very cool!

20-May-19
I too never had a mentor per se. I had a family friend that owned a bow shop. He was a hardcore bow hunter and competition shooter. This was back in 1975/76. I got my first bow from him and hunted with him a few times. We went our ways after I went into the military. I ran into him again at my mom's funeral last year. It had been maybe 39 years or so. Now that I think about it....before I got into bow hunting with him, he was the principle at the christian academy I went to. I had to go to the principles office for something I did and he whacked me a couple of times with the wooden paddle. Funny how those old memories come up.

20-May-19
My buddy Chuck Got me into bowhunting and told me to check out this website called “Bowsite” and is filled with a lot of good information! My passion for bowhunting has grown each year and will be going on my first elk hunt this year with my buddy Chuck!

20-May-19
Although I never met him, Jim Dougherty got me started (1970) thru his writings and planted the burning ember of bowhunting in me that still burns today. RIP Jim you are missed!

20-May-19
Back in the early 70's we had a 4 day archery program in high school, I connected instantly and then my Dad told me he had old fiberglass bow with a few arrows (all different lengths some had feathers some didn't) I could have. When I lost/broke all those arrows I started making my own out of brush from down by the swamp. So I guess, like others, I was my own mentor.

20-May-19
Chuck Adams, Dwight Schuh, and Jim Dougherty. I Loved their articles very informational.

20-May-19
John Rambo.

20-May-19
Darrall, your dad Jim was kind of every serious bowhunter's mentor back in the day when I started bowhunting seriously back in the 1960's..........Bob

20-May-19
my mentor and friend taught me how to bowhunt in the early 80's. he is 77 now and has to hunt with a crossbow and misses hunting with a bow a lot. we still hunt together and have had a lot of fun over the last 37 years.

20-May-19
I didn’t really know any Bowhunters growing up but when I was 18 I bought an old compound off a guy at work and soon discovered this place, so I guess in a way y’all would be my mentors in bow hunting.

21-May-19
Great stories guys!

21-May-19
My life mentors are Mark Watkins and Cory Smith.

My archery mentor was, according to Mark, Ishi. I love hunting in loin cloth and barefoot

21-May-19

wacem's embedded Photo
wacem's embedded Photo
My son was having so much fun bowhunting, He is the one responsible getting me started in my mid 50's.

22-May-19
Zack ... Ishi is a great mentor to have ... but those other two jokers???? We need to talk.

22-May-19
Roger Raglin and Fred Eichler and of course Dwight, Fred, and Ben

22-May-19

Busta'Ribs's embedded Photo
Busta'Ribs's embedded Photo
Dan Neebe. Anybody in SE PA knows the name, guy is a legend. Was damn fortunate he (somehow) took a liking to me when I knew nothing. He’s struggling now and all but done, but in his time he was among the most lethal archery killers ever. And the greatest man I’ve ever met.

22-May-19
awesome Busta!!

22-May-19
I have been fortunate to have had a lot of very good mentors.

I was fascinated with archery from a very young age. My mother and grandfather made my first bows from cedar limbs and twine. When I was about 7, my grandfather made me a bow from a piece of hickory. I definitely went thru the arrows back then and there wasn’t a squirrel, rabbit or bird that I wouldn’t stalk. I remember those arrows that were just crimped field points on dowel rods that they sold in the local Gibson’s.

My Papa was a serious hunter and encouraged me with archery hunting. He gave me a copy of Fred Bear’s Archer’s Bible that I read over and over. I upgraded my bow to a 40# Redwing Pro recurve, Herder’s arrows and Bear razor heads at around 15. Papa helped me sharpen them and watched me stalk and kill an 8 point whitetail buck with that setup.

In college, I hung out at the archery shops around Lubbock, Texas and never really clicked with anyone there till I met a guy from New Mexico, Pat Meitin. He was going to school at Tech and had been a guide for all those wonderful critters in the mountains that I dreamed of. He was a hard core bow hunter as well. We hunted hogs, turkeys, mule deer and whitetails in Texas, Coues deer in New Mexico and guided hunters for deer, antelope and elk with passes from the professors. Hard to believe I passed college!

Marv CLynke wrote in several bowhunting magazines and I was enthralled by his stories about hunting mule deer above treeline in Colorado. So that’s where I moved as soon as I graduated with all my worldly possessions in the back of a short bed pickup.

Met Nathan Andersohn soon after moving up here and was amazed at what he had been able to accomplish with a longbow! He encouraged me when I went through a bad slump and kept me shooting traditional bows when I was ready to give up. We have been on hunts around the country and in Alaska. Awesome that Nate was the first person to get a Super Slam with a longbow!

Finally met Marv face to face up at about 12,500’ on a mountain hunting sheep. We have become very good friends as well. Amazingly good hunter and has a wealth of knowledge from hunting across North America.

I have been blessed and hope to keep paying it forward!

22-May-19
I was fortunate to know and hunt with Dan Neebe too. He's an awesome guy and built a mean arrow. I was introduced by Jody Maddock, another PA legend. Jody and his buddies took me along when I was just learning. True mentors, every one of them.

22-May-19
Treeline, Marv is one heck of a guy. Him & my dad were good friends & had some great hunting adventures. Marv spoke at my dads memorial. I posted the video on YouTube. Darrall Dougherty

22-May-19

ahunter76's embedded Photo
ahunter76's embedded Photo
My dad left at age 7 never to be seen again. I joined the local archery club in 1956 at 14 & these fellas taught me, took me & mentored me. 63 bowhunting years later I am still at it. Jack was the main one but they all had a part in the molding. I thanked them about 15 years ago with a gathering of them all at my home (7 total). So much laughter & stories that day. We "all" confessed they were the best times in our journey of life other than family. Smiles & tears were shared that day. As they were leaving, seven Deer passed through my yard. I think of them often & can still remember their laughs & voices. What a crew. They have all passed now.

22-May-19
"Finally met Marv face to face up at about 12,500’ on a mountain hunting sheep. We have become very good friends as well. Amazingly good hunter and has a wealth of knowledge from hunting across North America."

As you know, I heard this story from Marv himself. The wife and myself were getting coffee at the Oklahoma Selfbow society banquet back in February and struck up conversation with him, not knowing who he was. Once we exchanged names, I mentioned you and Lou and the stories started flowing. He had a lot of respect for you both. Good dude!

22-May-19
None of my family was into hunting or fishing. I learned most all of it the hard way because I didn't have a choice. My archery mentor would have to be Fred Asbell because I learned to shoot a recurve by reading his books about 6 times each.

22-May-19
Darrall, I first met your dad at a P&Y convention and happened to sit at the table he was at for one of the lunches.

I was enthralled by his tales of adventure! Definitely a bowhunting legend.

Rick, that meeting was after Marv watching me chasing those rams up above treeline with my silly longbow, by myself, for about 20 days. I about lost it when I recognized that big old guy coming up the mountain as one of my hero’s. He gave me a quick lesson in flagging and sent me on a stalk after a group of rams in a rock pile where M R James had shot his ram a few years before. Almost sealed the deal on a dandy ram that day myself...

22-May-19
Tom,

I was young and desperate and they offered help and guidance. What’s a girl to do?

22-May-19
Like several on here, I was self taught. Growing up, I never knew anyone who bowhunted or even rifle hunted. So I guess my mentors were Fred Bear, Chuck Adams and the like. Guys that'd I'd read about in Outdoor Life or watch in outdoor shows on tv. At 14, I bought my first bow and have had many adventures since.

22-May-19
My dad and Alan Grass...That was the early 70’s and I was hooked!

22-May-19
I've had several mentors. I got a late start hunting with a bow.

Paul Medel "Elknut1" Gregg Stevens"gselkhunter" John Pierce "Mrelite" Zane "da white shoe" Bruce "beendare" Rod "Slickstalker" All great bowhunters and have got great advice from over the years

23-May-19

IQO's embedded Photo
IQO's embedded Photo
Newfoundland a few years back with a couple guys whom I admire and thank for the memories. Accomplished guys who cared more about the others in camp being successful than of their own success. Thanks Tom and Randy.

23-May-19

AZBUGLER's embedded Photo
AZBUGLER's embedded Photo
Dad taught me nearly everything I know! His hunting days are behind him now. I miss those days though! Whatever you could imagine to need was in his 100 pound pack! Lol.

23-May-19
Probably Earl and Millie Foster both gone now unfortunately. Millie was one of the top lady shooters back in the 70's & 80's. Millie really helped me when the the pro shop that sold me the used Martin Warthog in 1982 had me shooting way to light weight arrows. She put me in a much heavier arrow and took the time in her back yard to go through about a dozen broad heads to find one that would fly straight out of that early style of cam bow. Thanks B&B Archery!

24-May-19

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Dad was a fisherman and a hunter! Blessed I was!

24-May-19
My dad was always supportive and took me hunting growing up, but like others my love for archery came out of left field with no real mentor per se. I looked up to guys from articles and books, but kind of had to teach myself the ropes. Honestly, I've learned as much and become best friends with several bowsite posters over the years. Have a couple flying up for moose in a few short months! See ya soon fellas.

24-May-19
My mentor is Zack Walton. That makes Mark and Cory my Godfathers.

On a less serious note, I had a strange intro to bowhunting. My family is from MN and my dad shot archery with my grandpa and hunted (shotgun) with him, but my mom was/is an anti hunter and my dad gave up hunting for her when they married.

Instead, we fished and did a lot of scuba diving for lobster, abalone, and spear fishing (grew up in California). That was what we did growing up.

I went off to college and long story short, my dad started back to bowhunting because men get older and stop giving as much of a shit about what their wives say.

I was in college for all of my 20s, but during this time, my love of the outdoors drove me to long distance backpacking. I logged over 15 thousand miles from age 18-30, but it never seemed to be quite far enough. I never felt like I could get far enough from society.

My dad bought my little brother a bow when I was in my late 20s and he didn’t take it up and about that time, I was new to work and struggling with stress and had read by chance an article on how shooting sports like archery and pistol shooting were good for stress so I took my brother’s bow as a way to relieve stress. Within a month, I was shooting 300-400 arrows a week, pain/soreness were all that held me back initially.

It wasn’t but a couple weeks into my shooting that I went for one of my regular hikes in the woods and I came upon a doe herd. I found myself crouching, stalking, my heart pounding, something I’d never felt before. I knew right then that I could be shooting this deer. I came to understand at that moment, that I was a hunter and had always been one, I just hadn’t realized it. I walked back from that hike completely changed.

It’s been all downhill from there. A bowhunting obsession, missed animals, debauchery with Zack Walton...

My dad was certainly key in igniting the spark, but he didn’t teach me to bowhunt. Honestly, guys like Dwight Schuh and Lou Phillippe were my mentors. I learned more from them and guys like Greg Spurgeon here on Bowsite and in their writings and books than from anyone. Bob Looney, Dan Moore, Tavis Rogers, etc. That’s how I went from knowing nothing about bowhunting to killing multiple species with a bow every year.

One of the things I learned in my medical training years was that if you wanted to do something well, you paid attention to those that did it well and not to the people who just talked about doing it well. If you pay attention, there’s a bunch of guys here on Bowsite that know what they’re doing and get it done consistently and you can take what they say to the bank.

24-May-19
The first guy that got me into archery/bowhunting was a guy named Don. He was a couple years older than I was, I think he was in high school and I was in Jr. HS. We worked on a Christmas tree farm together pruning trees in the summer. It was always he that got the tree with the hornets nest in it. LOL. He convinced me to buy a Bear Polar LTD and a dozen olive green Gamegetters back in the middle 1970s and we shot all summer. That started my interest, but my obsession was fed later in the middle 1980s by a guy named Earl in the UP of MI. He convinced me I needed a release (yup he tainted me) and helped me tune my bow and my accuracy immediately became dangerous. So those were the two most influential guys in my archery life.

24-May-19
My Dad came home with a solid fiberglass bow 68 years ago. Been at ever since.

26-May-19
I too am self taught along the way--------->

Learned a lot by my mistakes.

Good luck, Robb

26-May-19
Simple equipment and and hard earned small " trophies " in the pictures. Are bow and arrow hunters mentoring with the same values today?

26-May-19
Nice tribute ground hunter

26-May-19
My Dad used to let me tag along with a bb gun in the 70's. He was the primary influence. The Reverend Stacy Groscup ( google him, He's was amazing) was who turned me on to the recurve world. He would shoot aspirins out of the air. He was a friend of my grandfathers who was like John Wayne to me. I requested him to officiate my wedding. Had to switch churches but can say my hero was presiding. He was a great man.

27-May-19
My dad started taking me to the duck blinds at age 4 and by age 10 I decided to pursue a career as a guide/outfitter. My archery mentor was one of the original bow hunters in Saskatchewan a one- eyed Irishman named Terry Graburn. He loved to shoot bows, drink in bars and get in fistfights. The first 2 he was really good at. He taught me to shoot a bow and shared his bowhunting knowledge freely which gave me a great head start to becoming a successful bow hunter.

28-May-19
Pretty much self taught and still learning. My dad was not a hunter. Learned to trap when I was young. My two uncles helped me get started but they had limited experience. Caught my first fox when I was 12. Fur check paid for my first vehicle and helped defray college expenses. My dad did take me rifle hunting when I needed an adult with me. I still remember being on stand and looking over at him smoking a cigar! We didn’t see much! Took up the bow on my own and never looked back.

28-May-19
Loving the stories!!

28-May-19
"Rob Nye" ..... you too sir are 'a legend'. You have hunted & guided many well known archers and many here could (and should) learn a lot from you! You have always had my respect Rob!

28-May-19
My Dad and Jim Pickering

• Sitka Gear