Michael 02-Jul-19
SBH 02-Jul-19
IdyllwildArcher 02-Jul-19
Dollar 02-Jul-19
BULELK1 03-Jul-19
Norseman 03-Jul-19
GhostBird 03-Jul-19
21-May-19
Anyone draw 67,68,69,Wyoming will most likely be by myself I've hunted it before good tag just get to be careful because of the bears

02-Jul-19
I would NOT hunt it alone! I have hunted that area for 15 years. My father for 30 years. The last 5 years in a row I have encountered Grizzly Bear in close (30 yards or less) encounters. Others in my hunting group through the years have had multiple encounters. in 2017 I was attacked by a large Sow. If my father was not with me it would have been horrible situation. I was lucky and didn't get tore up too bad but that was because my partner was with me and scared it off as she was just starting to really tear into me.

https://county10.com/wisconsin-hunter-survives-grizzly-attack-near-dubois/

Not trying to scare you away... I'm just saying it is not an area to hunt alone in. It's not a matter of "if" you run into Grizzly anymore there, it's "when". Be Prepared and have a your head on a swivel and if you get an elk, be prepared to get that elk out as fast as possible.

02-Jul-19
DH, sent you a pm.

02-Jul-19

RowdyBuck's Link

02-Jul-19
WOW!!!! Very scary. Glad you had a positive outcome. We all need to remember we are visitors in their world. Be aware and be safe this Fall.

02-Jul-19
I remember reading about your bear attack back when it happened. Glad you made it. I had a big boar walk by at about 50 yards in 2017 up near Dubois just minding his own business but it made me think I sure wouldn’t want that big bear charging at me.

02-Jul-19
When I shot my bull in that area two years ago Ike and I carried it out in one load apiece. There was no way I was going to go back anywhere near the carcass.

Off course I call in a bull to 60 yards the next day and Ike is 3 drainages away.

02-Jul-19
Scoot maybe will ship some Grizzlies to ND. :)

02-Jul-19
I love that area besides the griz, one year I seen 5 griz in 5 days. Friend lives there and I think he said in the month of September he counted 27

02-Jul-19
It's not just an area with a lot of Grizz. The grizz there are very aggressive. I've kept an unofficial count and the area has had about 1 attack per year over the past 6-8 years and two have resulted in fatalities.

We actually saw a lot more grizz in 56 and 59 in one hunting season than in 67 and 68 in 3 hunting seasons, but the Cody area doesn't have nearly the amount of attacks that Dubois does.

02-Jul-19
I heard one time they often transplanted problem bears here from out of the parks. Any truth to that? Could account for why they are so much more aggressive per Ike’s post above.

02-Jul-19
The one fatality was a contractor for forest service I heard was a greenie, wasnt carrying spray or side arm. I was told when they found him they carried him out in a 5 gal bucket

02-Jul-19
He was just one of the fatalities. There was another one 2 or 3 years prior to the contractor.

Regarding transplants, I heard that Pine Dale was taking all their bears to the Kissinger Lakes area, but I don't know if it was true or not. I also heard that the park was moving problem bears to the area. Could just be urban legend. I never heard it from someone who's job it was to know that.

Western 67 and much of 83 offer some of the best areas that have roads that a truck could get a bear a few miles from a home and still be outside the wilderness where road travel is not permitted.

02-Jul-19
Need to do what we do here in Florida.All problem gators are taken out of the environment for good.NO more relocating problem gators.I'm not sure if it was because of a law suit or the chance of a suit.But Florida decided that the risk of a suit was to great if there was even the slightest chance of an attack by a relocated gator. Here after a couple of fatal attacks the state gave more tags for the next year or two also. Now who wants to volunteer?

02-Jul-19
John, there are a lot of bear around that why there are 39 tags leftover for you and me try to get in.

02-Jul-19
Dollar....the difference is nobody cares about reptiles. Grizz are loveable, warm and fuzzy creatures.

02-Jul-19
Hunted it Last year and the Bear sign was THICK! Was fortunate enough to steer clear of any encounters but definitely gives you a heightened sense of things.

02-Jul-19

02-Jul-19
Is the elk hunting that good that it’s worth it? Call me a wuss but sure sounds like high odds for an encounter. We have a couple spots like that south of Bozeman and someone gets bit in each of them every year. Elk numbers are decent in one and terrible in the other but people numbers are way down in both for obvious reasons. Is it the same situation there? Bears are keeping people out of some decent hunting?

02-Jul-19
It's really more about the hunter numbers. 67-69 can be hunted with a General Tag starting Sept 15 and can be hunted all Oct with a General tag. But a lot of the other General units that don't have Grizz get hit harder because people don't want to hunt with the Grizz. There's still plenty of hunters though, especially after the 15th.

02-Jul-19
Bowfreak I know but they still cry and moan and protest some every year on the public land hunts for gators.It was funny when a couple people were killed a few years ago how the public cried for the state to do something.

03-Jul-19
Ya beat me to it Iddy----->

It surprises me that with 125 Type 9 tags offered that there are only 39 leftovers with it being OTC for the Gen tag for Ressy's and any Gen non-rressy tag holder.

Toss in the hunter numbers for bow deer in September (128 ~~ Region E, Non-Ressy/OTC Ressy's)

It certainly makes sense to have more encounters with Grizzz, with so many more hunters in the field.

Good luck, Robb

03-Jul-19
Did the south side recover from the fire years ago? Haven’t been back since 2009

03-Jul-19
Does WY tag problem bears when relocating? I know CO puts an ear tag on problem bears when relocating. During a CO elk hunt years ago my buddy was bluff charged three times by a large bear in thick scrub oaks. This bear had tags in both ears, meaning he had been relocated twice. When reported, the authorities said they enforce a "three strikes your out" policy and the bear would be killed if a problem for a third time. They wanted to know the location of the bear incident and come take care of the problem bear, but my buddy did not want them running all over the private land while we were bowhunting.

• Sitka Gear