PECO 23-May-19
Kurt 23-May-19
Rut Nut 23-May-19
huntnfish808 24-May-19
Highlife 24-May-19
Highlife 24-May-19
bowonly 24-May-19
22-May-19
I want to get a new set of trekking poles. Last year on my elk hunt my buddy had a carbon fiber pair. I should never have picked picked his up....mine felt like bricks after that!

I’ve heard the ones that fold are better than the twist type. Anyone have a good pair that’s light and is it twist or fold type? Don’t really care about price just want a quality set.

22-May-19
I have hiked well upward of five thousand miles using my Leki Super Makalus. I like them a lot but they are probably not the best out there any longer. For on-trail use, Gossamer Gear makes an amazing carbon fiber pair, I believe the lightest out there. However, friends of mine have snapped a few while off-trail in the backcountry.

I've used the Black Diamond poles as well and they have the lever-lock mechanism which is really nice. I also owned a set of Komperdell poles which broke and the manufacturer was of no assistance in regard to repair or warranty, so I'd avoid purchasing those.

I personally like the anti-shock feature. I feel that it puts a spring in my step and helps me along. Others hate it. I also prefer the ergonomic grips that are angled forward. Once you decide what features are important to you, I'd look at Leki and Black Diamond. It's worth noting that my Leki poles finally had their very first problem ever about two months ago. I've owned them for 10+ years and have really put them through hell. Leki's customer service was incredible and got me the replacement part extremely quickly and at no cost. They have a lifetime warranty and apparently they stand behind it.

22-May-19
I’d highly recommend strength over weight, particularly if you’re planning on taking them into some rugged backcountry places. I used some lightweight poles on my mountain goat hunt in 2017, and snapped them both on the first day. Folding sticks, in my experience, are even weaker. My guide gave me one of his two to use for the rest of the trip and they were aluminum. I never noticed the weight (they were definitely heavier than what I had) and they were waaay stronger. I’ve settled now on a heavier pair of Black Diamond. I’m not sure of any of the models (what I have now and what I broke), but I can definitely look it up.

22-May-19
I really like the carbon ones I got at Costco, great deal.

22-May-19
Love my Leki Corklites.

22-May-19
I have the Costco poles because I lost my black diamonds. For 30 bucks they are nice, but if you compare them to a 120 dollar pair they suck!

22-May-19
Black diamond lever locks

22-May-19
Black Diamonds, also.

22-May-19
I use the costco ones the most. Because they work and work well. Never owned a $$$$$ set. See no need in it. So, my reply might be irrelevant. But, no trekking pole maker is reinventing the wheel in my opinion. If they are light, strong, and don't slip at the feet or the joints under load, it doesn't require a cliche purchase.

22-May-19
Sierra trading post has some great deals on poles. I like the anti shock.

22-May-19
Whatever you decide, I would recommend cork handles.

22-May-19
Montem ultra-strong with cork handles. Very reasonably priced and great performance for the money.

22-May-19

Brotsky's Link

23-May-19
Cascade Mountain Tech poles are the "Costco Poles"...they are built well and a great value.

Mike

23-May-19
Black Diamonds good luck Lewis

23-May-19
The aluminum Cascade Mountain Tech poles are $23 on Amazon. Cork handles and lever locks.

The carbon's are $43 with cork handles and $36 with EVA handles.

23-May-19
I have Black Diamond Distance Carbon Z. Won't claim that they are the strongest. But I wanted something that was lightweight and folded up small to carry in the pack rather than strapped to the pack. Really only used when packing out meat.

23-May-19
"Don’t really care about price just want a quality set."

If you don't care about price then get a set of Leki Carbon Micro Vario's and call it a day. They are the best but they will cost you close to $200.

23-May-19
I like Leki, there are other great ones out there. If you have an REI nearby, go there and check out different poles and see what features you like.

23-May-19
I like the Costco carbon poles ($20 C last summer when they were on sale) better than my Aluminum Black Diamond poles ($100 US) 9 years ago. The Costco poles are lighter, have cork grips, the rubber tips have stayed on through 3 major backpack hunts last fall, and so far they haven't broken. The old Black Diamonds have a lot of miles on them, been straightened a few times, are used as cross country ski poles in the winter, etc. Tough poles for sure. Flip locks for sure, carbon optional vs aluminum, and I like long (145 cm) three piece adjustable poles as I occasionally pitch my Siltarp 2 utilizing the hiking poles. I don't like my wife's BD poles with the shock absorbing system and 125 mm height near as well, and they weigh as much as the longer BD w/o shock absorbers. Good luck!

23-May-19
WHy cork grips?

24-May-19
I called my friend and he said the pair he let me try we’re Leki. I checked the cascade mountain pair and they weigh 8oz each for the carbon fiber lever locks. Leki aluminums weigh 5.6oz but they are twist type. I live in Hawaii and we hunt pigs and wild cattle in the forests where it’s super wet and muddy. I’ve had two pairs of twist locks of different brands and they all seize up on me (i think it’s mud and water getting in there). So I really wanted to try lever locks, but man those Lekis look nice!

24-May-19
Call me old school but i use a stick ;)

24-May-19
May I add osage sapling 60"

24-May-19
Black Diamond with lever locks. Never saw a pair of twist type locks that stayed locked. My aluminum poles have bent in falls, but still remain serviceable when straightened. Always wondered how you fix carbon poles when they break? The shock absorbing poles I have seen make a clicking noise with every plant. Once I located my hunting partner in thick stuff just by listening for his anti-shock poles clicking. Maybe you could use them to call in caribou though.

• Sitka Gear