Hunt98 26-May-19
WV Mountaineer 26-May-19
IQO 26-May-19
Inshart 26-May-19
wifishkiller 26-May-19
Bou'bound 26-May-19
Thornton 26-May-19
24-May-19
Just wondering if it's legal to take a rifle with to shoot coyotes out of your elk camp? If it is, do any of you take a rifle "just in case"?

Every year we hear them, I've had one opportunity with my bow - I took the shot at 50 yards as he was walking and just clipped the tail.

24-May-19
In Vermont we are not allowed to carry a firearm while bow hunting. Our early bear and small game seasons are on at the same time. If you chose to take a coyote I don't see and ethical problem unless you have any other elk hunters nearby.

24-May-19
I have always left camp with the weapon I am hunting with. If it is elk season I have my bow in hand. Just seems if I am hunting elk that is all I concentrate on and spend all my time doing with the weapon I choose for that season.

24-May-19
Depends on your state laws and how much you want to booger up your hunt area.

24-May-19
Legal in AZ. Lots of people do. I wouldn’t want to shoot a rifle in my elk spot but to each their own.

24-May-19
If your elk hunting CO. The law reads something to the effect of your not allowed to have rifle larger than .23 caliber during a open big game season west of I-25. Unless you have a big game rifle tag during that season. So if you want to coyote hunt during that period your rifle would have to meet that restriction. Have not read that in while but I think I am close.

24-May-19

JohnMC's Link
Here it is:

YOU CAN HUNT COYOTES without a small-game or furbearer license during big- game seasons if you have an unfilled big-game license for the same season and unit. You must use the same method of take for coyotes as your big-game li- cense allows. Once the big-game license has been filled, hunters must purchase a small-game or furbearer license to continue hunting coyotes, and if using a rifle, it must be .23 caliber or smaller. If you’re not hunting big game, a small- game or furbearer license is required to hunt coyotes.

CALIBER RESTRICTION It is illegal to hunt game birds, small-game animals or furbearers with a centerfire rifle larger than .23 caliber in regular rifle deer and elk seasons west of I-25, unless you have an unfilled deer or elk license for the season you are hunting. A small-game license is required.

Page 3 and 5 on link.

Other state I am sure laws are different. But seems all the out of staters show up here ;)

25-May-19
Nope, I’m not that worried about them. There’s a time and a place for killing dogs and elk season ain’t it.

25-May-19
Yes it is. No I don’t. I’m there to kill an elk. Coyotes are just a distraction.

25-May-19
Justin beat me to it. When I’m hunting elk, I don’t even know what a coyote is.

25-May-19
why would you impact your elk chances even 0.001% to kill a coyote. let the thing live and go get an elk in elk season.

25-May-19
why would you impact your elk chances even 0.001% to kill a coyote. let the thing live and go get an elk in elk season.

25-May-19
Sure wouldn't want to risk spooking an Elk just to bag a yote. Not logical.

25-May-19
I’ll echo the others. If it’s been a slow day and one happens to walk by within bow range, I might fling an arrow. A firearm? Not a chance.

26-May-19
Since CO forced me to buy a small game license for a NR elk preference point, I guess I would be legal to shoot a yote. The question is, Is it legal to shoot 1,079 miles a cross three states?

26-May-19
If I had a gun and a tote come by, I’m shooting. Gun shots don’t scare game off. I’ve sighted in numerous rifles and watched deer on the range. Maybe they are used to it. I don’t know. But, I hear from a lot of western guys the reason elk aren’t as sharp as white tails is their lack of exposure to humans. So, I’d lean on the outta sight, outta mind analogy.

26-May-19
I usually have some traps with me. Put a few sets out first chance you get. It doesn't take too long to do and checking is as simple as walking by or glassing them. Traps work 24hrs a day for you without taking from your hunting time and sets out gives you something else to anticipate.

26-May-19
I'm talking about WY. I was watching a youtube video and a hunter mentioned he wished he had brought a rifle with him to take a lion that crossed the trail in front of him. I think he said they were in ID.

Up until this, I had never even thought about it. As others have said, we are there to hunt elk not coyotes, although I wouldn't pass up a chance to take one with my bow.

Just wondering what others thought. Thanks.

26-May-19
I almost always have a .17 in the truck. I don't really rock it during elk season but sometimes you just need to call a yote in.

26-May-19
What model .17 you running?

26-May-19

Thornton's embedded Photo
Thornton's embedded Photo
I usually carry a "quiet" rifle or carbine. The chances of seeing a coyote in camp is slim to none but there's always grouse. This is my KelTec .22 mag with supressor. Super quiet with subsonic ammo but the semi auto doesn't cycle with subs

• Sitka Gear