Dan Mallia 01-Jun-19
26-May-19

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
a recent snow storm changed the landscape and made for cooler temps
a recent snow storm changed the landscape and made for cooler temps
I arrived in Nebraska on Thursday afternoon in time for an afternoon hunt. This time I would take my Double Bull T-2 blind and a single hen decoy, attached with a motion string back to the blind. The previous hunt I had tried multi decoys but without good results. Off I went for the mile and a quarter hike in and would set up in the same location as before.

26-May-19
Keep it coming Paul.

26-May-19

I placed the hen decoy 15 yards from the t-2 blind and ran the motion sting back to the blind. The string was attached around the neck to create a slight bobbing action.
I placed the hen decoy 15 yards from the t-2 blind and ran the motion sting back to the blind. The string was attached around the neck to create a slight bobbing action.
as before I hen called every 15 minutes but it was not until 6:30 did these two hens show up and later came within 10 yards of the decoy. No tom in tow!
as before I hen called every 15 minutes but it was not until 6:30 did these two hens show up and later came within 10 yards of the decoy. No tom in tow!
it was almost dark when I hear one weak gobble from high on this hill. Only the Big Horned sheep ;in the area could make that climb so unless he came down he was out of "range".
it was almost dark when I hear one weak gobble from high on this hill. Only the Big Horned sheep ;in the area could make that climb so unless he came down he was out of "range".

26-May-19
There was no doubt in my mind that the mating period was reaching an end or maybe had ended. Hiking back to the truck, I figured I would just hike up into a different part of the canyon and see if their were other toms around. Last time, I had only heard two toms and I knew where one of them was. As before, 4 am comes early. but I was climbing up into the canyon just before first light. The wind was heavy and the temps were cool for this time of year. Some snow patches still lingered.

26-May-19

tom was WAY over there, high up and heading away
tom was WAY over there, high up and heading away
moving away solo
moving away solo
heading somewhere but maybe nowhere. only he knew but hens were not on his mind and if so, just a distant memory.
heading somewhere but maybe nowhere. only he knew but hens were not on his mind and if so, just a distant memory.
The sun took its time coming up but later it's warmth brightened up my attitude and maybe the turkey's also. I cackled on the box call and received one gobble from the tom, the afternoon before. Again he was in a position I can not get to and when he flew down I had no idea where he had gone. Time to look for the other tom.

Later along the rim, I cackles again and received a return gobble way off in the distance and on the other side of the canyon. I spotted him high up and moving away. Moving away to nowhere.

26-May-19

Later these three mule deer were worth a photo
Later these three mule deer were worth a photo
I looked for more action while hiking farther along the rim but only saw these three hens feeding. No other tom sighted or heard.

26-May-19

Around noon I took a cat nap in the sun and as you guys know, those are some of the best naps one can have. Feeling refreshed, a drink of water and a Cliff Bar, I headed back, crossing over two deep ravines, and two pastures back to the blind.

I did have another day to hunt but weighted the odds of having a close encounter with a tom that afternoon or the next day. I head back to the truck, headed to town for a chocolate milkshake and cheese burger.

The decision was made, go home and come back another day, (next season), and maybe the ALMOST will turn into a DONE DEAL!

Now is the time to get ready for trout fishing in the high mountains of Colorado.

Thanks for following along. my best, Paul

26-May-19
Paul, thanks for taking us along. I always enjoy reading about your hunts. Good luck fishing this summer. I'll be out doing some myself. Time to time some rubber-legged stimulators.

26-May-19
Thanks for the last turkey hunt recap, Paul and good luck with the trout. Maybe I'll see you in July.

26-May-19
Any hunt you enjoy is a good one Paul and I get the feeling you enjoy them all! Thanks for sharing and good luck chasing trout in the high country!

26-May-19
Time spent in country like that was not wasted time! Turkey or no turkey. Thanks for the pictures!

26-May-19
I would rather read Paul's unsuccessful hunts than others that include a kill. You have a way with words and just the right amount of pictures.have fun fishing

28-May-19
Good effort Paul and thanks for sharing your adventures!

28-May-19
Congratulations on another well earned season of lessons and experiences.

28-May-19
Fastflight x2. Paul I thought I was the only one who craved a chocolate milkshake after a hunt or fish! Nice pictures!

29-May-19
As always it's a pleasure to follow along with your stories Paul. FM

29-May-19
Thanks guys. Cleaned out the truck and returned the blind and decoys to the space over the garage. I keep glancing at the fishing stuff on the other wall but have a few things to do before Tricia and I head for California to visit for a few days. Speaking of California, I recently read a report that 45% of those in California want to leave that state. If Colorado keeps changing in a negative way, we might be in the same boat but the where does one go? My thoughts of the next archery elk season keeps me here.

my best, Paul

01-Jun-19
Almost........

A story all turkey hunters can relate to!

Thanks for sharing.

• Sitka Gear