Whip 27-May-19
Thornton 27-May-19
RIT 27-May-19
sureshot 27-May-19
drycreek 27-May-19
Missouribreaks 29-May-19
APauls 30-May-19
27-May-19
I'm about to apply Gly to a couple of food plots in order to get them ready for an August planting.

My question is should I mow them first before I apply the GLY or should I leave the grasses and leaves so they can soak it up.

The weeds and grass are about a foot high.

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

27-May-19
Trouble with high grass is it can shield some of the smaller weeds. Good thing about high grass is you get a good kill of the grass.

Ideally you would mow, wait a week or so for the grass to leaf up so you're not just spraying stems and then spray.

27-May-19
I've always been told that you will get a better kill if you spray before you mow. Supposedly, the plants get defensive when they are mowed and are more resistant to the chemicals. I've found that to be true. I would spray now and then mow in a week or so.

27-May-19
It'll die a lot faster if you mow first.

27-May-19
Best to mow and wait 7-10 days and then spray. I mowed mine ten days ago and am about to spray this week. Then I’ll hit it again at least one more time to make sure we have a good kill on it.

27-May-19
Well that was not consistent

27-May-19
Either way will work, but my guess is that either way will also require a follow up treatment. To tall to get 100% kill and even if you did there will be stuff that sprouts before August. I'd also mix 24D with the gly for a better kill on broadleaf weeds.

27-May-19
Doesn't matter what you do, the weeds that are dormant in the soil will sprout in a few weeks after you kill off what's already growing.

27-May-19
I think you are way to early for prep on an August plot. I’d keep it mowed and spray closer to your planting date.

27-May-19
Mow and as soon as the grass begins to grow again in a week or two spray. You want weeds in a quick growth stage so they take up the chemicals.

27-May-19

drycreek's embedded Photo
drycreek's embedded Photo
What RIT said. Too early to kill it, wait until a couple weeks before you're ready to plant, hit it hard and you'll be good.

I just planted peas Friday in a plot that I burned down about ten days ago. Everything was dead and I have peas already up.

29-May-19
Let the seeds germinate after tilling, then burn it down again before you plant.

30-May-19
I've always heard not to mow and spray directly after. Which lines up with what most say here. One thing I know for sure, is if you can spray on a warm day, and better yet in the midst of a few warm days that stuff will croak fast. Love it when you spray in a heat wave. It's like it dies before your eyes. Although I guess heat wave up here may be regular down there.

• Sitka Gear