Sitka Gear
Sleeve Lake Outfitters 2
Bears
Contributors to this thread:
28-May-19

Habitat for Wildlife's embedded Photo
From the left, my guide Cyril, Anita, Dave. Anita and Dave are Evan's parents. I did not get Evan in the picture.
From the left, my guide Cyril, Anita, Dave. Anita and Dave are Evan's parents. I did not get Evan in the picture.
Wanted to make sure a Bowsite sponsor receives the accolades they so much deserve. Evan and the crew at SLO are outstanding, not just as outfitters but as individuals as well!

They do not need this thread as word of mouth is keeping them busy with 100% opportunity. Last year, four of us that went up together all took bears, 3 on the first sit. All four had opportunity, but one held out for a B&C, his daughter shot a P&Y.

I went back alone this year as Stan is going to them this Fall for a combination bear and waterfowl hunt. Brian and daughter want to go again, possibly next year when I go back.

28-May-19

First bear in, I could still here Cyril's quad leaving as this one came in!
First bear in, I could still here Cyril's quad leaving as this one came in!
This year was more of the same hunting-wise. Evan let me start a day early, Sunday afternoon. Him and Cyril picked out a hot spot. As a good bear outfitter should do, they monitored all bait stations and only put their hunters on active ones.

Baits consisted of meat, grain, cooking oil, marshmellows, popcorn and other treats. Cyril told me I would see multiple bears. I did, at least 8 different ones, possibly 9 but wasn't sure if one was a repeat.

28-May-19

Cyril was adding to the bait while I got into a 15', very comfortable double ladder stand. Cyril goes up each stand before allowing the hunter to do so to make sure it is still secure and quiet. I had to tell him to get his shotgun because I caught glimpses of a bear moving in the spruces less than 50 yards away.

28-May-19

I turned the camera off as he got ready to come up, mainly because I thought I might have to throw it at him and didn't want that captured.
I turned the camera off as he got ready to come up, mainly because I thought I might have to throw it at him and didn't want that captured.
This stand location was an hour from their awesome camp. And it was at least a 20-30 minute ride in on the quad through some thick stuff. I joked with Cyril that there would not be any bears back there because they would not be able to find the place.

It was a zoo all afternoon. This nice boar came out, twice, knew I was in stand. Started to come up and wolfed at me. Glad he decided otherwise, I did not know if my old wrestling moves would keep me alive, and the thoughts of a fat man rolling around with a bear just didn't seem funny at the time.

28-May-19
For about an hour I had a bear behind me breaking branches and wolfing at me. I never experienced that before.

The boar above was back for a second time. Cyril showed me the pictures of multiple bear using this bait. He pointed out the largest had a very light colored muzzle., But there were three definite shooters in there. He told me to be patient. I have earned a reputation for shooting small bears, but only because I want a smaller target to give them a chance;-)

This boar was at the bait. He already ran off a smaller bear. All of a sudden he started to move away from the bait, and out of the corner of my right eye I saw a light colored muzzle coming in from behind me. Instantly I decide it was the big one!

28-May-19
I grabbed my bow off of the hanger, and turned while sitting down and coming to full draw simultaneously. The bear stopped broadside at 15 yards. It was taller than the boar.

Once I decide to shoot I become 100% fixated on nothing but putting the pin where it needs to be, holding steady, releasing and follow through.

At the shot the bear huffed, spun 180 degrees and started running. But, with each bound I saw blood blowing out. She made it 35-40 yards max, and rolled head over feet and came to a stop. I could see her. She did not move but bawled, rather screamed almost like a human, several loud times, shouting volume actually, and it was over.

28-May-19

I texted Evan and let him know. Honestly, I was shaking almost uncontrollably from adrenaline. I have shot a lot of deer with bow, and some nice ones, but never experienced that strong of a rush!!

I don't know if it was from seeing so many bear, having it work out so perfectly, or just because I am getting soft as I age? I realized the seriousness of taking the life of such an awesome animal, yet the full experience rushed over my body like nothing I ever experienced with hunting. It's hard to describe the competing emotions of remorse and intense satisfaction.

I thanked the Lord, and remained seated until Cyril arrived. I think he was ecstatic with the short trail. We took some pictures and headed back to camp.

My reputation remains intact. This was not the big bear in there, but bigger by far than either of my first two bears. I am very pleased, the bear has some character with a couple of facial scars.

28-May-19
Congrats nice bear.

28-May-19
The facilities from sleeping accommodations, to food, to the practice archery range are first rate! These folks are interested in their client's goals and dreams. They are there for you, there are no egos getting in the way. These are such down to earth folks! I am not a hugger, but all three of the people pictured received a hug. After two years, I can't wait to go back and hunt with these friends!

I want to encourage any one who has a desire to take a hunting trip to Canada, but may be a little hesitant. Whether you are new to bear hunting, or going for that special trophy, SLO is an outstanding choice. Please PM if you want more information.

Evan, Cyril, Dave and Anita, thank you again, and until next year be well and prosperous!

A little side note, Dave and Cyril are best childhood friends who look very similar. They debate frequently who is better looking and which is the better guide. I have been guided by Cyril both times, and am two for two. And they are both equally ugly;-)

Just kidding men, you are my people;-)

28-May-19
Alexis,

I know Evan is your nephew, and Anita is your sister. Class and talent obviously run in the family sir. I have long wanted to hunt with you because of your awesome threads. But, I am a loyal guy. SLO is everything you said they would be.

Thank you, and I hope to meet you one day. God bless.

28-May-19
Way to go Frank !!! Congrats !!!

28-May-19
Thank you Chris.

28-May-19
That’s a rough looking crew u hung out with.

29-May-19
Thanks for the kind words Frank it’s Always a pleasure having you in camp, we’re already looking forward to next season!

29-May-19
Thank u Frank we will meet for sure here or in paradise.

01-Jun-19
Nice bear Habitat - congrats!

01-Jun-19
Thank you Chuck. Hope you are having fun up there.

• Sitka Gear