wildwilderness 30-May-19
Turk 30-May-19
Jaquomo 30-May-19
Turk 30-May-19
APauls 31-May-19
Franklin 31-May-19
BullSac 31-May-19
28-May-19
I have never researched moose hunting before so I’m starting from scratch. I’d like to find a cow moose hunt, preferably DIY where I can drive to. My goal is to bring back all the meat I can, don’t care about antlers at all so I figured that a cow moose hunt might be a lot cheaper. Any thoughts or suggestions? I have no moose points anywhere.

Thanks, Keven

28-May-19

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Colorado cow and calf
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Colorado cow and calf
There are currently 15 states that allow moose hunting . Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Maine, Minnesota, Montana, New Hampshire, New York, No Dakota, Utah, Vermont, Washington. Wisconsin, Michigan and Wyoming. Areas, Alaska, western Yukon, NW British Columbia.

I would expect the VAST majority of States have no OTC tag but all limited draw so plan ahead as it may take years to draw, even a cow tag. my best, Paul

28-May-19
Wisconsin does NOT allow moose hunting.

Michigan and Minnesota also do not have hunts scheduled .

Of course if your a tribal member in Minnesota there will be hunts for you

28-May-19
There are a few units in CO that non residents draw cow tags with 0 points nearly every year. GMU 7 for example, 2 non res drew in 2018 with 0 weighted points and 0 points.

28-May-19
the only otc state is AK

28-May-19
i'm in for unit 7 this year got my fingers crossed!!!!

28-May-19
Are you not allowed to bring meat back from Canada? I would think Ontario would be a good place.

28-May-19
I brought my meat back from newfoundland

28-May-19
No moose hunting yet in NY but they just passed legislation allowing it but the fish and game said they are not ready yet until more studies are done. Sounds like the tax hungry dems jumped the gun on that one.

28-May-19
Ontario would be the closest Canada drive from WV. Appreciate all the responses so far. I looked up the draw odds for WY and wow is it an eye opener! I see moose every year during elk season in the Snowys.

28-May-19

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
Lots of cow moose in North Park Colorado - just start calling and they come out of the trees - thats what I do

28-May-19
bullsac, it depends on what you call "cheap". If you just want meat as you stated, Moose may not be the most cost effective choice. In Colorado for example, the licensing fees will run you about 2350.00 total as a NR. By comparison, that's 4 to 5 times the cost of a cow elk license. Just saying there could be other options if meat is truly all you want.

28-May-19
I do pretty well on elk meat usually, just trying to diversify what’s in the deep freezer. I’ve never hunted moose, and the cost of a quality bull hunt is pretty shocking. Cheap to me for a cow moose tag / gas / etc would be about $2500 total. I’d rather go strike out on my own than pay someone to lead me around.

28-May-19
Idaho, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Maine are all possible for DIY. You still have to draw the license. Maine is by far the cheapest, but the hardest to draw. But with most people (NR) holding out for a bull license in all those states, there's less demand on the cow tags.

28-May-19
That’s what I’m hoping for: way less of a demand for cow tag, might be able to research my way into some heavy coolers for a 1/4 of a bull price. Many thanks!

28-May-19
If you draw unit 7-8 in CO, I'll hook you up. I hate those damned things, want to get more killed around my place!

28-May-19
ND is residents only. Once in a lifetime tag.

29-May-19
You could use Jaq for bait!

30-May-19
You are a bit late for this years draws, but I would definitely put in WY, and CO for a NR cow moose permit. Actually, you could still buy a point for WY moose this year and increase your odds next year for the draw. You have til the end of summer to buy the WY point.

Look up the draw odds and find a unit that NR were able to draw with 0-1 points and you could get lucky next year. If you make a plan for specific areas you should draw one in the next few years.

30-May-19
Hey Jaquomo,

Does that include the big bull that you’ve been watching for years unable to draw the tag??

30-May-19
That giant bull is probably dead. Havent seen him for a couple years. I put a guy from Alaska on him two years ago and he missed him twice in a 30 minute period. The fellow had killed quite a few moose, sheep, etc.. with a bow but this monster Shiras rattled him pretty bad. Haven't seen him since but a rifle hunter killed a whopper in the same general area last year so likely him.

30-May-19
I knew that it had been a while. Im sure that you will find another good one if you can ever get your tag...... good luck!

31-May-19
Lol Midwest and I were thinking the same thing. I'd just cast Jaq out there and troll him around a-ways like one of the them coyote dogs.

31-May-19
Bullsac….even with guidance they still don`t get it....lol

31-May-19
I appreciate all the PM’s I’ve received. 5 years ago I entertained this same thought, but never pursued it.... Lesson: Buy those points!

• Sitka Gear