air leak 30-May-19
midwest 30-May-19
t-roy 30-May-19
midwest 30-May-19
Shiras42 30-May-19
APauls 30-May-19
Droptine 30-May-19
29-May-19
I am seriously thinking of using a rock climbing harness this coming season. For anyone that uses one, how do you like it, advantages, pros and cons, etc.?

I checked YouTube, not many videos regarding using it while hunting.

Thanks in advance.

29-May-19
I'll be using one this year for the first time. I bought the Black Diamond Bod. I'll be adding tubular webbing for a lineman's rope attachment.

Other sites to check out regarding RC harnesses for hunting....DIY Sportsman, The Hunting Beast, Saddle Hunter.

29-May-19
I have one as well, it's also a black diamond, and I really like it!

29-May-19
They are so much better to use, I use a petzl, you couldn't give me a harness made for hunting, I have 3, a muddy, and 2 HSS vests, I hate them, even to the point of using of not using them and using my old waist strap safety belt! https://www.petzl.com/CA/en/Sport/Harnesses/TOUR

29-May-19
I have been using one for years, I never liked the point of attachment at my back. I use climbing webbing for my lanyard, rope from ground to stand and a prussick knot to stay connected till I'm back on the ground. I also us a Black Diamond. Do a search on here, there is a lot of discussion on this subject. Good luck this season.

29-May-19
Probably 6 years for me, I would never go back to a regular harness.. Using a BD vario speed harness and it's been perfect for going over my layers.

29-May-19
I use a Black Diamond. I'd never go back. It is simple to put on and take off at the base of the tree. The lanyard has never yet been in the way while trying to draw. Simple, comfortable, effective, and cheap.

29-May-19
I also only use a rock climbing harness and have not found any disadvantages (except maybe peeing depending on what clothes I'm wearing). Make sure you know what attachment points can support weight and what cannot. Gear loops on the side do NOT support weight but linesman's rope attachments can be added as midwest mentioned.

29-May-19
Black Diamond Alpine Bod here as well. I'll never go back to a full harness.

29-May-19
I’ve been using one for the past few years and love it (Petzl Pandion) Like Carcus mentioned, the full bodied harnesses were such a PIA, that I ended up not using one. The RC harness is a breeze to put on. The attachment point in the front is totally a non issue to me. I have a second harness set up specifically for hanging stands as well.

I’m surprised that you can’t find more YouTube stuff on them. Midwest mentioned a couple of very good ones. An ascender is another item that is very handy. Check out a Ropeman 1

29-May-19
I've seen videos as well, and there are a number of old threads about this on bowsite. Common consensus I'd say is about 80% of guys that try it love it and don't got back to standard harness. I for one can not be bothered to use a regular harness. Hate em. Even spent money on them thinking if I get a nice one I'll use it. Nope. I'm better at using the RC harness though.

29-May-19
Switched to a black diamond last year and have no plans to go back to a standard harness.

29-May-19
Ive tried using a harness exclusively but find a saddle to be far more comfortable

29-May-19
I switched to a Black Diamond last year as well, after years and years of using just a standard belt with rope. I can't stand the fully body harnesses either, and refuse to use them.

I have less issues now than I did with the belt, because with a couple short movements, I can extend the tether and turn a complete 360 if I need to.

29-May-19
Yup live the rc harness. As mentioned above peeing is the only drawback

29-May-19
Most RC has a loop in the back you could connect to while you pee if up a tree.

29-May-19
How do you guys connect to the loop on the harness? Do you use just a ring and a rope or do you use some type of shock absorbing lanyard?

29-May-19
Carabiner.

29-May-19
My tether is a Beal Dyna Clip. I've used a daisy chain but the dyna clip is safer.

Girth hitch the dyna clip to harness

Caribiner on other end of dyna clip to life line on tree

29-May-19
To pee, I usually just untuck the end out of my sock and let it hang over the edge of the stand. No problem.

:-)

30-May-19
Thanks guys. Not a fan of my harness.

I would do a search on here, if I could find exactly how to do it..

30-May-19
air leak, Just google "rock climbing harness bowsite".

30-May-19
What kind of socks are you using, Nick? I’d be concerned with chafing if using wool 8>}

30-May-19
Pretty well calloused due to years of abuse, Troy.

30-May-19
When I first tried one I was sure that the attachment point being in the front would be an issue, especially since I shoot a longbow. Zero issues! More comfortable, easier to put on, easy to attach. Would be interesting to hear from someone that has fallen while wearing. Better yet and updated test from Pat jumping out of a tree with one. Wonder if his nuts have ever recovered from the first test?

30-May-19
Biggest problem I have with RC harnesses is when it gets really cold. The front loop allows too much air under your outer jacket. And when it's really cold here, it's erally cold, and the tiniest of draft will cut an hour off your sit time.

30-May-19
I also use a black diamond, been for about 6 years now. Absolutely love it and don’t ever plan on going back to a “hunting” harness. No disadvantages I can see. I strap it to my climber and put it on before climbing up very easy and minimal

• Sitka Gear