TreeWalker 29-May-19
Dollar 29-May-19
DonVathome 29-May-19
Brokenarrow129 03-Jun-19
DonVathome 26-Jun-19
Buhbuh73 27-Jun-19
itshot 29-Jun-19
29-May-19
Buddy and I drew this hunt, anyone have any intel they are willing to share?

29-May-19
Awesome tag, don’t really have any intel but you will have an outstanding hunt!!!! We going through a little bit of a drought so that should concentrate the Gators to the bigger waters.

29-May-19
Thanks!

29-May-19
Have you hunted Florida with public land permits previously? There are time of day restrictions. You will have a hard time seeing lots of gators unless are out on the water able to cover a lot of area in a few hours. Much of the habitat is shallow depth so the airboats can be helpful for navigating the water. The arrow or bolt tips are specialized and work great. No bait allowed on hooks. Oh, bugs swarm the lights after dusk and remain to dawn and beyond. Hundreds of bugs per cubic foot near the lights. Big bugs. Little bugs. Bugs that bite. Bugs that smell. They crawl in your ears, onto you eyes, down your shirt. I got some gator liquid on my shoes and even bleach would not remove the odor. Was a very memorable adventure filling the two permits and you should have a memorable hunt as well though once was enough for me. I will stick with turkeys and 4-legged land critters from now on.

29-May-19
Sounds fun

29-May-19
Yes I have hunted DIY once and guided twice. I was lucky and bugs where not bad where I hunted before. Here they are supposed to be BAD. And snakes. Good stuff.

29-May-19
With your prior experience, should be mostly how determined you are to pass a lot of 8'-10' gaters to find great grand daddy. I do recall a couple of moments as could see 100s of sets of red and orange eyes reflecting back to the boat that if the airboat sank leaving me floating then would be interesting as I swam and waded to the dock on a moonlit night.

29-May-19
STA 5 is a water retention pond probably a mile square and not very deep.It does have a perimeter ditch around it.Its generally a no motor zone I don't know if they allow motors during gator season but I wouldn't think so.Lots of gators but very smart and deal with humans all duck season(waterfowl area).You will need a jon boat or canoe if you can but wading is possible. It does have a elevated retention burm all the way around. Good luck be very very very patient

29-May-19
Thanks!

03-Jun-19
I avoid the STA's. They don't allow motors and boats on trailers. They do allow a boat that fits in the back of a truck, so size of boat is limited. Most of the gators are snagged from the bank of the levees, and then the hunter gets in the powerless boat to get close enough for harpoon shot. Expect a lot of trucks on the levees driving around looking for gators and FWC game wardens driving around looking for violations. Very frustrating hunt IMO.

If you don't mind getting in the water and staying away from the levees, you'll have a better chance of getting close, but that's not for everyone.

26-Jun-19
Thanks! Our boat is on a trailer - but light - but 14' going to be tough....

27-Jun-19
Good luck on your hunt I just moved to Florida and a gator hunt is definitely a dream hunt for me I want to take one with my recurve

29-Jun-19

itshot's Link
good luck, just don't ever forget no matter how slow they seem in the water,, they are predators... gotta eat

• Sitka Gear