Huntcell 30-May-19
IdyllwildArcher 30-May-19
sticksender 30-May-19
Capra 30-May-19
IdyllwildArcher 30-May-19
NvaGvUp 02-Jun-19
Trial153 02-Jun-19
30-May-19
Idaho's sheep draw stats are posted, see links below. Interesting that no CBHS permits were issued to NR's.....I've never seen that happen. I'm wondering if there was any error in the vendor's execution of the draw? Reason for the question is because for RMBHS, 9 NR licenses were issued with a total quota of 80. A 10% NR ceiling would be 8 licenses. The CBHS total allocation was 17 permits this year, so NR should have at least gotten 1 permit.

I believe in the past, when the IDFG was doing the draw themselves, they pooled RMBHS and CBHS quotas, issuing NR's 2 or 3 permits for CBHS, which reduced the ceiling for RMBHS that could otherwise be allowed. If this was the case, maybe they filled the CBHS limit first, followed by the RMBHS. Looking at 2019, the total sheep quota was 80 + 17 = 97. Meaning 9 total sheep permits could go to NR. But the licenses being all rockies seems to exceed the species ceiling for NR. In any case I didn't apply for CBHS, but if I had, I'd want to know for sure I had a chance to draw, especially considering that the non-refundable cost to apply this year was $280.25 for a NR.

California Bighorn Sheep Draw Stats

Rocky Bighorn Sheep Stats

30-May-19
The way Idaho does their draw there are no guaranteed licenses for NR as I understand it, only a maximum number possible. Highly unlikely the draw would fall that way where no NR tags were pulled but it is a possibility I guess. Interesting draw stats!

30-May-19
Correct, it's a ceiling, not an allocation. But they allowed 9 RMBHS permits to go to NR whereas it seems only 8 should have been allowed.

30-May-19
Rub your tummy pat you head and click your heels.

It’s Idaho for god sakes

Just send your money.

Or is it pat your tummy and rub your head.

Never mind send more money.

30-May-19
I put in for CADBHS. That’s certainly part of why no NRs drew...

The way I understood Idaho, from their website, is that the sheep draws aren’t separate, but rather together and whoever gets picked, gets picked, till the NRs have met their quota of 10% of the tags, whether that be 11 and all RMBHS tags, or a bunch of CADBHS tags mixed in.

Odds state that there should be some CADBHS tags taken by NRs every year. I’m surprised there weren’t any, but it’s theoretically possible, so...

30-May-19
Yeah Ike that is possible, even if it seems unlikely to happen. I still wonder if the vendor may be running it a little differently. Oh and nice work on putting your name in this year and ruining it for all ;-)

30-May-19
I gave ALOT of thought to this prior to the draw. For the last 5 years, I have applied for CBHS because I was looking for the best odds possible period.

My thought can be summarized as: Due to the way Idaho's drawing works a nonresident may as well put in for a better unit because your odds of drawing are governed more so by the group rather than the specific unit.

Until Idaho separates out CBHS from RMBHS a nonresident may as well just put in for the permit they would most want.

As far as vendor running it.......... Who knows, I wonder if they remove my name from the hat every year so I'm probably biased.

30-May-19
The unit 11 tag is going to get scooped up very quickly every year. Yes, it's true that if you choose one tag over another as a NR, that it doesn't change your % chance of drawing "a tag" very much, but your odds of drawing certain tags in ID are many many multiple times better than 11 and several other tags for that matter. And besides 11, I don't see it as worth it to get a "better" tag when I would be absolutely thrilled with any of the southern unit tag - they're damn good tags and I'd be thrilled to hunt a CBHS in the desert.

02-Jun-19
I only apply for sheep in Idaho if I already have an elk hunt planned and booked.

I refuse to pay for a license in order to apply for a tag with impossible draw odds.

02-Jun-19
Wow, I agree with Kyle. Doesn’t happen often but in this case he nailed it. With the NR cap you very well maybe be drawing dead, all for 200 non refundable.

• Sitka Gear