wild1 04-Jun-19
Shrewski 04-Jun-19
wyobullshooter 04-Jun-19
RogBow 04-Jun-19
trophyhill 04-Jun-19
coelker 05-Jun-19
huntnmuleys 05-Jun-19
30-May-19
Many here know that my wife and I are busy relocating to Lander, WY for her job. Well today I got 2 job offers 10 minutes apart. It was a rough decision, but I decided on a teaching position that will give me a "Fall Break". The break is 3 weeks. It starts the last last week of September and goes the first 2 weeks of October. Yes, a full week of archery season followed 2 weeks of rifle...

Without the break the pay was better, and the position was extremely exciting. As a result I am pretty darn excited!!!!

Looking forward to some epic WY hunting.

30-May-19
I started backpacking in the Wind River range on the Indian side in the early 90's-2005 or so, I always thought that town would "Jackson Hole" or "Park City" in terms of land/home pricing, but that hasn't really been the case. What a great place to live; glad you were both able to make it work. Best of luck with the move.

If you're looking for a non-resident to "guide", I know a guy with 8 elk points.

30-May-19
Looks like you will need to change your handle now that it’s official. Congrats on your move!

31-May-19
Hey! You magically can hunt federal wilderness lands now alone. You must have got a lot of training on woodsmen skills for them to give you that privilage. On a serious note...congrats

31-May-19
Congrats on your move. I would love to make that same move!

31-May-19
Congrats! Good to see one escape even for those of us who haven't.

31-May-19
I hunt out there all the time, I have a cousin and alot of friends in dubois!

31-May-19
I'm super jealous! I want to retire out there

31-May-19
Congratulations!

31-May-19
Congrats buddy. Sounds like an awesome opportunity.

31-May-19
Congrats! Sounds like everything is coming together for you!

Just curious.........................................do most school districts out there have a break like that for Elk Season? Lots of districts here in PA have the first day of rifle deer season off, but never heard of an extended break like that.

31-May-19
So you changing you handle to wyelker now?

31-May-19
Congrats on your jobs and good hunting.

31-May-19
Great news....congrats!

31-May-19
Rutnut - as for the fall break, I am teaching at an Alternative High School. We have a completely different schedule. In my case the school I am teaching at is different than even the district. I did not find any other districts with such a break. However, the one district I interviewed with had a once in a lifetime policy. That policy allowed an employee who drew a really hard to get tag the ability to seek Superintendent and board approval for extra days off... Basically if you proved this was an extremely rare tag opportunity you would get 10 paid days off plus 2 unpaid personal days. That was 12 days off work and since the district was a 4 day week, it meant 3 weeks of hunting.

31-May-19
Congrats to you!

31-May-19
That OIAL tag time-off policy is crazy! Never heard of such a thing!

Geez, here on the CO Front Range if they found out you were a hunter it could be a career-killer. Probation, parents protesting, all that.

"A tale of two cities.."

31-May-19
Congrats wyelker!!!

31-May-19
Great to hear of guys following their dreams.

It has worked for me....moving to Colorado during my college years and following up my first retirement with a second career and move to British Columbia. Wouldn't change a thing career or hunting wise...except maybe moving to BC sooner. Good luck in Wyoming!

31-May-19
Wow- That's pretty COOL! You made the right move IMHO- Congrats again!

31-May-19
Congrats.

It will be interesting to see if that wind wears on you.....

31-May-19
Spectacular! Congratulations Wyelker:-)

31-May-19
Congrats buddy, we'll miss you. Watch out for that Wyoming wind!

31-May-19
Yeah, and the horizontal snow. One morning I had six feet of snow stuck to the front door.

31-May-19
Good deal. Check in next January and give us an update and see if the honeymoon wore off

31-May-19
Wonder if they need any Automation Engineers in that area? Congrats on the job and the move!!

31-May-19
I am curious what your wife does. Mind sharing?

31-May-19
Kevin Paul, my wife was an RN(Med-Surg and ER). Last fall she completed her Nurse Practitioners Degree and License. She applied for a bunch of Jobs here in Colorado, but only got 1 interview. Needless to say this spring we gave up and prepared to stay in our current positions for the 2019/2020 school year. Literally the next day after that decision we got a call for the position she took. She will be the primary care provider at a state ran Wellness/Rehab Center. Basically she is the onsite medical care for people with different levels of mental handicaps. They offered her $20,000 more than what we expected and free housing for 6 months that could be up to a year.

She makes double what I make...

31-May-19
That is crazy coe….my daughter is a NP and can go just about anywhere she wants and gets offers constantly. What is going on in Colorado?

Their loss YOUR win!!!

31-May-19
Man that’s awesome. Hope all goes well. Been looking for some property up there myself. A move to Wyoming is in my 5 year plan. Keep us posted.

31-May-19
Congrats! Living the dream now brother! Maybe “cowboyelker”? :-)

31-May-19
Amazing place.. congrats on the quality of life improvement

31-May-19
I taught NROTC at Oregon State and with their late start (about 25 Sept.) it was a dream come true for an archer.

31-May-19
Congrats and best wishes and LUCK!!!

31-May-19
Congrats and hope you draw the Colorado tag you're hoping for this year. We'll know in a few days!

01-Jun-19
$20k ... and don’t forget to add the tax savings moving from CO.

Sounds like an upgrade for sure. Lander is a nice spot; a little isolated, but I’m guessing you put that fact in the “asset” column, not “liabilities”. Enjoy!

01-Jun-19
coelker, thanks for sharing. That is pretty awesome for a number of reasons! I may need your wife to call my wife and tell her how great WY is. I've been dropping hints that we need to relocate but she is a cold natured city girl. Any idea how well teachers do in WY? I can work from anywhere, but she'd need a teaching job.

04-Jun-19
Congrats! Nice town.

04-Jun-19
Awesome! Congraulations.

04-Jun-19
What a great opportunity for both of you! I wish you best, but go buy all the wind proof cold weather gear you can find this summer, because you will definitely need it!

I love WY, but I could never live in that much snow and cold! I know, I am a pussy! Especially after living in the AZ heat for 18 years... I am a definite cold Pussy!

Plan for snow, rain, wind, snow and mud... Lots and lots of mud!

04-Jun-19
Tax savings are not insignificant. Congrats.

04-Jun-19
Tax savings aren’t significant? I guess if you consider several thousand dollars per year insignificant.

Please spread that word. Maybe so many from the northern front range will quit moving to Cheyenne!

04-Jun-19
wyo, -

I think he wrote "....are not insignificant." (which I read to mean "significant")

04-Jun-19
If it’s “once in a lifetime” what’s the plan for next year? Hunt the weekends?

04-Jun-19
wild 1, you are correct. I certainly misread that one. My apologies Dale!

04-Jun-19
Enjoy it while you can.

04-Jun-19
Congrats on moving where you want to be!

05-Jun-19
Thanks all... It is tuning out to be a good move.

As for this fall, I am waiting to see my draws. I am thinking I used up both my deer and my elk points. Just need to confirm my results.

05-Jun-19
Welcome!!!

• Sitka Gear