Bou'bound 31-May-19
wheels 31-May-19
Franklin 31-May-19
Kevin Paul 31-May-19
Scooter 31-May-19
WapitiBob 31-May-19
Ermine 01-Jun-19
31-May-19
I just watched a video where someone said that bulls close their eyes when they bugle. Any truth to this???

31-May-19

smarba's embedded Photo
smarba's embedded Photo
I say...no

I suspect either you misunderstood or the video meant to state that they close their eyes when they rake branches/trees.

BTW this was just one of a bazillion photos that turned up online when searching for "bugling elk". Besides, if they closed their eyes when they bugled that would make for a bunch of weird looking taxidermy LOL

31-May-19

Kevin Paul's Link
No sir, didn't misunderstand. Here's the clip. Skip to 7:30.

31-May-19
Interesting! I'm sure they can close their eyes on occasion as they bugle the same as they can close their eyes raking a tree/brush. Nothing iron clad there for sure, they can just as easily have their eyes open & close during any event.

I've had bulls bugling aggressively & repeatedly as they came thundering through the timber right at me, no way their eyes were closed the entire time & still dodging the tight dark timber growth.

ElkNut/Paul

31-May-19
ElkNut x1. I can't think of anything that you can say an elk will do 100% of the time. That includes catching a nose full of human.

31-May-19
I wish! It might make that last few yards a little easier to close!

31-May-19
They may sometimes but definitely not most of the time.

31-May-19
Only when the cow they called in looks really ugly.

31-May-19
They do rake trees with their eyes closed, I’ve gotten real close to a few that were raking in plain sight. Make sure you stop when they do.

31-May-19
They do when they sneeze....lol

31-May-19
Think I'll take the opinion here rather than YT...

31-May-19
I think if the cow they are bugling at is a 10, they keep them open.....Anything less and they close them.....??

31-May-19
I have never seen a bull close his eyes when taking a tree.

01-Jun-19
I’ve seen them keep their eyes open when they bugle. And I have also seen them keep Their eyes open when raking trees

• Sitka Gear