crowny 02-Jun-19
crowny 02-Jun-19
wildan 02-Jun-19
crowny 02-Jun-19
Junior 02-Jun-19
crowny 13-Jun-19
lewis 14-Jun-19
31-May-19
can anyone give me some ideas on how to space the seeds and the rows? Im thinking 4 inches on the seeds and 15 inches on the rows.

31-May-19
Mine are spaced 2 inches apart on 30 inch rows. Even with wider spacing the plants will spread to cover gaps. It’s best if you can get consistent spacing. With 15 inch rows the beans will canopy quicker. That will help with weed control and moisture conservation

31-May-19
On small 1/4 to 1 acre plots we broadcast on worked soil and then drag or cullipack. We spread 60lbs per acre on early plots (first weeks of may) and increase up to 80/90lbs on later (june)....this works good on first tilled ground to keep weeds down...we have also drilled 7" rows that also have advantages or 15" rows for canopy...worst thing here is jiggers...you get grass you will have jiggers and deer get them just like we do and will avoid the plot

31-May-19
Inquire as to the bean variety. Some grow tall, some are more bush type, this makes a difference on spacing. GL.

31-May-19
Not totally understanding your inquiry. Are you wanting to know how to go about planting them in rows? Are you planting by hand, a planter, or broadcaster? If broadcasting, I’d say junior’s rate would be about right. I’d try to get them covered somehow about 1”-2” deep as well, if possible. Not sure about the jiggers, though. They must be like chiggers, only smaller maybe? ;-)

01-Jun-19
t-roy, I'm planting them with a single row planter, walk behind, little more than half acre. my seed plate says 3.6 inches seed spacing and I'm figuring 15 inch rows. not worried about deer over browsing, I live in the true upstate NY in the Adirondacks. I do have plenty of deer but not to the point of devouring all the crop before it matures. I have an acre of nice clover they like.

01-Jun-19
At that spacing you are around 120,000 seeds per acre....you should be good to go if you plant no wider than 15"..if we plant later june 15th id bump it to 150,000.... Yes, its chiggers ;) Habitat for Wildlife is right on variety, especially if you want to maximize bean yield. If your just looking for early season browse variety isnt as important. Your just wanting a good even stand that will canopy as fast as possible so you dont spend a ton of money on herbicide. Assuming you planting RR?

01-Jun-19
The beans are forage soybeans and not RR, the field I'm planting is pretty weed free. did well last year with cowpeas in it.

01-Jun-19
Forage beans? Broadcast and be done with it.

01-Jun-19

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
How big of a plot are you doing? Are you talking about using something like this, crowny??!!! If so, my hat’s off to You! I’m with Frank, on just broadcasting and be done with it, especially if they’re just forage beans. I’d just seed them a tad heavy to ensure good coverage and canopy.

01-Jun-19
I would be shocked if deer don’t devour before beans reach 6”. I think you will find that to be the case for a 1/2 acre with even moderate density of deer. Fencing is generally the only option for soybeans.

Mike

01-Jun-19
t'roy yes that's what I use, its a lot of work but I have harvested a big buck the last three years planting my plots with it. I am not to sure about the broadcasting, never did it that way with the peas and corn. as for mike-TN I planted beans couple years ago at 30 inches apart and the deer didn't really hit them till they turned yellow, harvested a big nine outta the plot. there is lots of other readily available food for them during the summer.

02-Jun-19
Good deal. That seems almost direct opposite of my experience where they hit them hard in July and Aug once I take the fence down. I usually let them get waist high before removing the fence. The deer will strip every leaf and pod in 4-5 weeks. And the field is surrounded by clover so there is plenty of other food. This is eagle seed beans. In regards to planting I will till, broadcast and drag or use a woods planter seeder. Either has worked great

02-Jun-19
Mike,

Your clover by July/August is not nearly as palatable as in the Spring and Fall, at least that has been my experience.

If there are other crops close by, I have had smaller bean plots, 2-3 acres, do fine. You are right in that they hit them hard, but enough beans make it that the deer keep coming back and so when I broadcast rye grain in over the beans as they begin to yellow, the deer have been "trained" if you will that the field produces food.

It doesn't work every where, but maybe something worth considering.

02-Jun-19
Habitat for Wildlife, I will definitely try the grain when the beans yellow as well as mixing in some turnips. I plant 1/2 acre of autumn buffet in august and they really hit it hard after the first frost. I may try to broadcast the beans, I have about 25-30 lbs. of them but I'm a little nervous about not covering them enough to germinate.

02-Jun-19
Thanks for all the info everyone. if this works out good this year I will buy real world RR soybeans next year. some of my friends plant the forage soybeans from blue seal and have good luck, not many places to buy stuff like that around here without the high cost of shipping from online purchases.

02-Jun-19
We stopped planting soybeans;the deer eat them as fast as they come up.Local farmers lost 80% of hundreds of acres.Walk behind planter is a waste of time(I have one),that is a garden tool not a food plot tool.

02-Jun-19

Habitat for Wildlife's embedded Photo
Habitat for Wildlife's embedded Photo
crowny,

These were planted 16 days ago. Broadcasted, covered by ATV pulling a 8'X4' drag harrow, timed right before some good rains.

Good luck!

02-Jun-19
Habitat for Wildlife, I am going to try the broadcast, my buddy has a drag I can borrow to go over them after. How much did you fertilize? thanks again.

02-Jun-19
This is slightly more than .75 acres and I broadcasted 500 lbs of triple 13 before tilling.

Best bet is to get a soil test.

02-Jun-19
Chicken manure isn't practical with the amount of equipment involved. Either way, it sure will grow a bean! If you pile it in a field, they will come back and eat the dirt long after the pile is gone!

13-Jun-19
Habitat for Wildlife, I did a little experiment, I did half the field in 15 inch rows then broadcasted the rest and dragged that part to see what does better, lots of rain here so I had to get it done, another few days of rain on its way.

14-Jun-19
Keep us posted crowny. Thanks.

14-Jun-19
Wow 500 lbs is a lot of fertilizer I use 150 lbs triple 13 super rainbow and it works great. I also get a soil test and that is what it recommends. Good luck Lewis

14-Jun-19
Lewis,

An awful lot I agree. Let's see if the beans keep up with the grazing. The potassium and phosphorus will remain in the soil so it will be there when I plant the rye clover mix into the beans this Fall.

• Sitka Gear