BOHNTR 01-Jun-19
92dawg 02-Jun-19
Owl 02-Jun-19
trophyhill 02-Jun-19
ElkNut1 02-Jun-19
joehunter8301 02-Jun-19
Treeline 02-Jun-19
01-Jun-19
Guys, I'm trying to get set up for elk and need opinions on arrow setup...I shoot a PSE Evolve 35 set at 65lbs and a 29.5 inch draw. I have a new set of 300 spine 5mm FMJ's that weigh 520 grains with a 125 grain head, and they seem to fly just ok....but they are so heavy that I can't get the FOC I'd like to have. I also have a half dozen Gold Tip Pro Hunters that would come in at 470 grains if I added a 50 grain insert along with a 125 grain head, and result in an FOC around 14-15%. I'd honestly prefer the latter setup but all the buzz is around better penetration with small diameter arrows...does it really make that much of a difference? Thanks in advance for your thoughts-

01-Jun-19
Exactly that ^^^

—Jim

01-Jun-19
I shot the pierce platinum from gold tip for a couple seasons and i wasnt impressed. Both bulls i shot with them the arrow snapped on impact. One bull was facing and the other broadside shoulder. I noticed something similar hitting a log at a 3d shoot. I went back to easton accs.

01-Jun-19
Don’t sweat the small stuff. If you prefer the latter, and they fly good, then shoot the latter. BTW, for someone with a 26” DL, I don’t have a whole lot of sympathy for someone concerned with penetration that has a 29 1/2” DL. ;-). You’ll be just fine.

01-Jun-19
For my entire bowhunting duration I have shot bigger diameter aluminum arrows and have never had any of these so called "penetration issues".

IMO it`s so minute I would be willing to use the term "myth". A small diameter does have it`s benefits in certain situations like wind but penetration....no.

01-Jun-19
Shoot what you feel comfortable with. Guys were killing game with no problems for decades before FOC was even a thing. Internet mental masturbation...

01-Jun-19
My experience has been that heavier arrows have better penetration... smaller diameter have less drift in the wind. Shoot in a variety of conditions, positions, and clothing so you have confidence in your ability.

01-Jun-19

Ermine's embedded Photo
Ermine's embedded Photo
I think the small diameter arrows do preform better in windy conditions. Not all hunting occurs in the wind but out here in the west, wind does occur

01-Jun-19
I would think at your draw length, a 340 spine arrow would be the ticket. I too shoot 29-1/2" draw length and shoot 340's.....

01-Jun-19
“Internet mental masturbation”.......Ha. :) That is classic, Matt!

As for the arrow diameter.....do what others have suggested.....shoot what performs well for you. Heck, my first bull was shot with a 2514 log and had no issues with performance.

02-Jun-19
Thanks gents...think I might have some FMJ Pro's up for sale soon... Trophyhill, what grain broadhead are you shooting? I shoot 340's in the Hunter XT for deer with a 100grain head. I just assumed with 175 up front I'd need to go stiffer.

02-Jun-19
I don't even weigh or calculate my arrow weight, anymore. Heretical as that sounds, it is a rather institutionalized detail, now. If I get nerdy about anything these days, it's going to be grading.

02-Jun-19
92, gotcha, I use 100 gr heads for everything.

02-Jun-19
It really doesn't matter much as hunters! Like others I've taken elk with about everything, all do their intended job.

I use the VAP small diameter shafts these days with 200 grains up front because I want to not because I need to. They're tough as hell & they supply me with the personal confidence I need.

ElkNut/Paul

02-Jun-19
Way over thinking it. You will kill with either. Shoot the one you like better. I’ve killed a few elk in the with 418 grain gold tip pro hunters with no issues

02-Jun-19
Killed plenty of elk with 425 grain regular diameter arrows. Also with the old skinny carbons, cedar, fiberglass, and tapered carbon shafts.

With 55-70# longbows...

Pretty sure whatever broadhead and arrow setup that you can get to fly well out of your bow will be more than enough for elk.

• Sitka Gear