WV Mountaineer 09-Jun-19
trophyhill 09-Jun-19
WapitiBob 09-Jun-19
JTV 09-Jun-19
WV Mountaineer 09-Jun-19
ohiohunter 09-Jun-19
ELKMAN 10-Jun-19
02-Jun-19
Your peep isn't rotating much if at all, you're currently shooting lights out, but your 4 year old string/cables are showing signs of wear and you have a date in the elkwoods in September

02-Jun-19
Do you have a backup string now? Do you plan to shoot in prep for the upcoming season? Pull these off and paper clip the ends together without untwisting it. Obvious answer is yes.

02-Jun-19
Yes. Better now then In august

02-Jun-19
The only thing stopping shards of carbon from piercing your eyes and cutting through your wrist and forearms is the integrity of the rigging on your bow. When you start to question if that rigging is going to be OK or not..........................you have already made the decision that you need to fix it before you can take a worry free shot again.

The elk is the least of your issues at this point

02-Jun-19
Probably not. If the cables were rubbing but that's a different issue, if all is good I might re serve just because it takes 5 minutes.

02-Jun-19
Uh yeah you have plenty of time to tune it up.

02-Jun-19
Yes U, I've been shooting daily and will continue at least 4-5 times a week. The lead time is about 10 days out for a string.

Guess I'll get it ordered and use this one for a backup if necessary. I hadn't shot it since January and picked it up over a month ago and haven't had to adjust anything.

02-Jun-19
do it now

02-Jun-19
4 years old is on the long end, probably good to have a new set on there.

02-Jun-19
I replace mine every 2 years, no matter their condition. My bow has to be 100% reliable. Bowhunting is hard enough as it is.

02-Jun-19
I’d for sure change it now and get the new strings stretched in and stable.

02-Jun-19
Agree do it now!! Why chance it when you can work the bugs long before Sept. Shawn

02-Jun-19
I change all of it every two years. Went three years once & had the string break between the D-Loop at full draw... Think about that one.... Don't gamble with it....

02-Jun-19
I bought a new bow in 2006, peep never rotated n string never stretched in 6 years. same with the next bow, different brand. Current bow so far is doing the same.

Have to remember that the strings are made for bows shooting 70-80lbs, so if you are shooting 50-60lbs and you wax them like you are supposed to they will last a long long time with out issues. Now if you are shooting a 5gpp arrow the strings will not last as long as if you are shooting a 10+gpp arrow, now matter the poundage of the bow

02-Jun-19
I also change my strings/cables every 2yrs, whether they look like they need it or not.

02-Jun-19
Just had the same thoughts.....and I replaced everything this week. Now I have peace of mind and I have all summer to shoot it for Sept Elk. :)

02-Jun-19
Yep

02-Jun-19
Absolutely, just replaced some prime strings and they seem to be stretching like crazy. But I’ll surely have all kinks worked out by sept.

03-Jun-19
It takes all of a day to get a compound shooting. Your sights don't change. Time isn't even a question. I'd do it a week out if I was worried. (and have)

03-Jun-19
Do it now. I made the mistake of trying to get through last year with my strings and cables but by time season rolled around it looked even worse. I ended up changing them the 1st week of elk season. Got my bow shooting great after a few outings and ended up shooting a bull 2 weeks later.

03-Jun-19
Get new strings, shoot it peepless for a good 100-200 shots, then install the peep. I've never had string replacements set me back much as far as getting things back in tune is concerned.

09-Jun-19
Welp? String/cable ordered. My bow tech told me

"I'm not gonna tell you it won't make it thru the season, but I'd put one on sooner than later. How old is this string? 4,5 years old?"

09-Jun-19
You did the right thing

09-Jun-19
Thanks guys, thanks Justin.

It would be great if this 2009 D350 will last another 10 years :)

09-Jun-19
No reason it won’t. I’m shooting a 10 year old Hoyt with the factory strings on it.

09-Jun-19
This is year 3 on the main bow for my Mercury strings/cables from Twisted X ... next spring will be new ones ... I may change all on the back up bow in a month, they are 4 yrs old now ...

09-Jun-19
To each their own. But, a $100 is cheap insurance for 3 months of hunting.

I've twice held a compound bow in my hand, during hunting season after the string or cables broke, because I was too frugal to change the cables and string. Once on opening morning while going in before first light. Once on the second day of November while taking a "check it shot" before loading my bow up for two full weeks of rut bowhunting. I lost three days of vacation hunting getting them replaced on the rut hunt. And, a morning of hunting the first day episode. Never again due to not changing questionable strings or cables.

On a bright note, the first day mishap, I found a guy in a close by town that had a shop in his basement in a small town not far away. Knocked on his door at 8 AM, his wife answered, called him, he left the woods and came and built me a string. I was back in the tree by 1 and killed a deer by 2. The Lord Blessed me with that fella.

09-Jun-19
Piece of mind is priceless

10-Jun-19
Honestly depends on who you get the new set from, and who you have to install/replicate what you have now. If you have a good builder, and you do your own work I would say: Why not? Otherwise it can get complicated for sure.

• Sitka Gear