sticksender 05-Jun-19
Brotsky 05-Jun-19
Ambush 05-Jun-19
Brotsky 05-Jun-19
smarba 05-Jun-19
Shrewski 05-Jun-19
05-Jun-19

Kevin Dill's Link

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190605005073/en/Garmin%E2%80%99s-flagship-handheld-navigator-meets-global-communication

GPSMAP 66i. $600. Up for discussion.

(apology: link doesn't work. Use copy/paste to access website)

05-Jun-19
Kinda neat. Wtbs I have a first generation thingee and it didn't work so well when caught in a whiteout lol thank God I had an old fashion compass on me still makes me lmao thinking about that hunt

05-Jun-19
Been waiting for that one since Garmin bought them out. Nice.

05-Jun-19
No touch screen?!

05-Jun-19
That's a nice upgrade. But I wonder how long it will be before someone figures out how to integrate an emergency locator /satellite communications device with a regular phone. Now that would be cool!

05-Jun-19
Hey Whip: That's going to happen, and I predict it will be about the time you, Shrewski and I are getting our second knee replacements done. Ha!

05-Jun-19
I can’t get the address to open. Does it have a keyboard or will it Bluetooth to a phone for the keyboard?

05-Jun-19

Kevin Dill's Link
The link in my first post above does NOT work. I'll repost it again here, or use the address below.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190605005073/en/Garmin%E2%80%99s-flagship-handheld-navigator-meets-global-communication

05-Jun-19
Ha! That will be just my luck Kevin. But those new knees seem to work pretty well. Hope we can still get to some far out places with them.

05-Jun-19
There's such a huge opening for real innovation in this market. I'll consider upgrading when they offer the same functionality in a stand-alone device about the size of a smartphone, with a full-size touch screen.

05-Jun-19
Maybe this is a dumb question, well, probably is a dumb question, but what does this get me that my mini/phone combo doesn't get me now? Just a stand alone device? I like the OnX maps on my phone combined with the communication I get through the mini. Would you use this as a total replacement for your phone?

05-Jun-19
Brotsky, no advantage if you already have the Mini or other Inreach device. Except a larger screen.

Too bad they don’t have an on-screen keyboard, still have to Bluetooth to your cell for efficiency. That will likely be the next rollout.

But, if you are looking for a new gps for the back country, this would be a logical choice. Cell phone with GAIA maps and this unit would give you all the navigation/ communication features you may need and they are backups for each other.

But still carry a decent compass.

05-Jun-19
Kind of what I was thinking Rod. I carry a compass and another GPS unit as a backup to it all. I guess I could get rid of that with this set-up but I'll carry the extra few ounces and save the $600 for now. I don't know why they can't make an all in unit that looks/acts like a smartphone with a touch screen and all of these features. Should be able to get that done for $700, hell they could partner with Samsung or someone to get it done, all the tech is readily available.

05-Jun-19
Agree Brotsky. If I didn't have anything, this unit would be on my list.

But I already have the DeLorme Inreach plus a Garmin Oregon 600. Nothing I see with this new unit makes me want to "upgrade". Touch screen may have been useful to avoid the cumbersome typing on the Inreach (I know I could pair it with my phone, but typically don't bring phone with me and certainly don't wan to rely on my phone) but even that wouldn't have been enough to make me "upgrade".

05-Jun-19
I’ll never go to the “stand alone” phone for everything. I was in the middle of Kodiak Island and my phone, for NO reason stopped working. I’ll pay the penalty for some backup on the GPS end at least.

• Sitka Gear