WI Shedhead 14-Jun-19
cnelk 14-Jun-19
COHOYTHUNTER 14-Jun-19
Adventurewriter 14-Jun-19
bloody acorns 22-Jul-19
COHOYTHUNTER 01-Aug-19
cnelk 01-Aug-19
06-Jun-19
Hey guys, new to the site and I just drew my area 49 Archery tag here in Colorado and not looking for spots or anything at all, I'm willing to put in the work as I know there is some nice bulls pulled out every year. I'm a college kid who is limited to mostly weekends to hunt, but I have a whole summer to scout. I saw somewhere that a local said majority of the elk are on the fairplay side and the herd took a hit on the leadville/buena vista area. can anyone point me some tips on hunting high country elk above timberline. all the elk hunting I have done is western slope pine and aspen hunting. any advice is appriciated, Thanks!

06-Jun-19
My buddy and I drew 49 and have heard the same thing.

06-Jun-19
Hunted 49 8 years ago so my intel. may not help but i hunted north of leadville wear the highway forks hunted about 3 miles up the left fork. was in elk most days and arrowed an ok 5x5 had alot of fun. good luck. J.C.

06-Jun-19
^^^^^ Damn it that was my spot I was gonna hunt.

Now I’m gonna have to make one of those posts asking where to go but not honey holes

06-Jun-19
Go hunt Weston Pass.. you'll be all alone up there... ;)

14-Jun-19
Last time I was there, there were people all over... I even ran into cnelk... ;^)

14-Jun-19
I'm just wondering who DIDN'T draw 49 this year!

Ok, my .02 worth - go about a mile up No Name creek from the Hunter's Junction trailhead. When you come to a fork in the trail, take it. It'll lead right into the other hidden basin on the back side. Great spot!

14-Jun-19
Having all summer to scout, I'd take advantage of that. Looks like you won't get much advice here. 49 comes up alot on the forums. My opinion is it is overrated......

14-Jun-19
Word on the street is that the big burn from last year is not open yet and may or may not be open during archery.... Just something to think about.

14-Jun-19
The burn was full of elk last year and no one could get at them. Forced people into a lot of normally Iightly hunted areas. Go where the people are not and places that are hard to get too. U will find elk

14-Jun-19

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
Jahvada is correct. The fire closure is still in effect with no info about when it will open

14-Jun-19
thought it was supposed to open up in Feb...hmm. Well if it is still closed in Sept, every elk in the unit will be in there....lol.

14-Jun-19
49 is certainly overrated.. it for sure isn't a 6 pt unit or whatever it takes to draw these days.. hell, I remember when you could draw it every other year.. that was until some hunting magazine wrote about how it was a "sleeper unit in Colorado".. lol.. fake news does it again

14-Jun-19
My suggestion is hit the unit in August and look for S12 sheep hunters. They will be able to give you the last intel on where the elk are at.

14-Jun-19
What is the reason the fire area is still closed?? That seems odd to me but maybe i'm missing something

14-Jun-19
Yeah, I hunted 49 in 2007 and again in 2010. I had a great hunt in '07 and a tough hunt in '10. I discovered 49 on my own through my own research with no tips or pointers from anyone. It was a good unit to hunt when you had 2 points or so. Then Eastman's and Huntin' Fool wrote articles about it and that was the beginning of the ridiculous point creep. I now have 6 CO points and not sure if I'll burn them next year in 49 or not. If I do, it will most likely be the last time I hunt 49 in my lifetime. I agree that it certainly is not a 6-point unit. I've had equally good if not better hunts in OTC units...

14-Jun-19
We won't hunt it again. the juice isn't worth the squeeze. better units around for fewer points. Decent unit but not worth 5 or 6 points.

14-Jun-19
Deadfall timber was a big problem last fall. Was unsafe for the public. Timber falling everywhere

14-Jun-19
Somebody please tell me a better unit to use 6 PPs.

Anyone?

14-Jun-19
Cnelk. Not sure I could name a better 6pt unit.. but I could certainly name better 2 or 3 point units that I can hunt twice as often as 49.. but I will not name those publicly or in the world wide web otherwise those will become 6 point units too.

14-Jun-19
Use to live in 49 hunted it three times scouted lots...local knowledge ...but five years ago was my last and lots can change..it is a BIT better than most OTC's if you see a 270 plus bull and have a chance you better shoot and be happy ......as 95 percent of the bulls are in this class..

22-Jul-19
Bulls were in the burn just had to walk to get to them - walked in was in elk every day - hunt the edge of the burn and you will find them- I sent you a pm Jboone - being NR I wont be back for years - hunting OTC in 47 this year

01-Aug-19
Well.... it looks like good news for all you 49ers. Buddy of mine was up jeepin the other day... looks like that burn area is open.. should be some good stuff with all this moisture

01-Aug-19
Sweet! I know where I’m going! :>}

• Sitka Gear