lewis 07-Jun-19
APauls 07-Jun-19
Beav 07-Jun-19
Boreal 07-Jun-19
Genesis 07-Jun-19
lewis 07-Jun-19
JayZ 10-Jun-19
06-Jun-19
Lots of men went into the beaches today.some never made it,damn hard day in history.many life's lost in this invasion.men were ready for whatever faced them.my great grandma had six sons in the battle.don't know where they were,but all six came home.one was a bombider and one night couldn't find a job,several kids,ended it on the basement stairs.these guys carried some horrendous memerories from the war.dad wasn't there till the marines fighting on Okinawa.

06-Jun-19
I watched a great documentary on D-Day on Netflix last night. Made me think that could never happen today. All those 18-20 year old millennials would be busy taking selfies and posting to Instagram as the landing craft doors opened.

06-Jun-19
When the landing crafts made it to shore,the door dropped,the soldiers was sitting ducks.lots drowned cause landing crafts couldn't get close .these millennium bun wearing wierd ass frieks don't have a clue.

06-Jun-19
Right on...Not a clue!

07-Jun-19
Right on...Not a clue!

07-Jun-19
I was glad to see this thread on here. My uncle was there and never talked about it much until years later. It seemed like it was just too hard for him. The real life things that he told me were very close to what was depicted in the movie "Saving Private Ryan." Let's not forget what those guys did for us...........Bob

07-Jun-19
"Their Name Liveth For Evermore"

07-Jun-19
Jaq, I’ve always agreed with much of what you post here but when it comes to this one, you’re dead wrong. I’m serving with a strong fleet of bad ass guys that only want the best for this country and each of them would lay down their life for yours.

Maybe think a bit before you post when it comes to our Volunteer Force.

Thanks

07-Jun-19
Box call, you’re a fool as well. The heck are you thinking saying that about the volunteers that protect your current way of life?

07-Jun-19
Please remember all that gave the ultimate sacrifice on that day, and every day for our freedom, for heroes never die until they are forgotten. God Bless America!!!

07-Jun-19
Nick - I don’t believe that they were attacking our volunteer forces. I think that they were directing their disdain at the millennial civilians that would be pulled in by a draft.

Thank you for your service brother.

07-Jun-19
I had a great-uncle that was a captain in the Screaming Eagles. One of the first to land at Normandy. He lived to be 101.

07-Jun-19
The guys serving today are just as brave as the vets of WW2 it’s just we don’t have the same country they had back then. Seemed like it was one for all and all for one through out the entire country... none of this liberal political correctness BS .

07-Jun-19
I watched the President's speech on YouTube. It was great.

07-Jun-19
The men that stormed the beach of Normandy on D-Day were and will remain America's greatest generation. America was willing to sacrifice everything for the better of the world. Now America's Media Mob will only report on casualties instead of the sacrifices our great American soldiers go thru to make this twisted world safer. Sleep well tonight, because if it wasn't for those brave men, Europe would all be speaking German right now. God Bless America

07-Jun-19
I'm with Nick on this one 100%. There are still millions of good, willing, and able kids in this country that would heed the call every bit as strongly as those boys did back in '44. Spend some time around your local high school, especially in blue collar and rural areas. Those kids are still every bit as tough and able as the kids 75 years ago. You guys are spending too much time watching the fake news media and not spending enough time in the real world.

07-Jun-19
Nick thank you so much for your service I love you for it. One thing to remember though is that 20-25 percent of those serving in World War II were drafted and many of those were front line forces. If you had a draft today and took that same percentage and asked them to do what was done back then I believe we would not be where we are today. You need not look any further than todays work force compared to the work ethic of young men back in those days.

07-Jun-19
D-day remembrance was terrific.

Any idea how many have served in War since 2001? Three, four million?? My Dad survived Iwo Jima but lost his 18 year old (youngest) brother there. Then 5 years later he lost his (second youngest) brother in the Korean War! Heavy price!

Many of you know I have taken Purple Heart Recipients from Iraq and Afghanistan on Bow Hunting Trips and I can tell you these are the finest young men and woman this country has and thank God we can still produce Warriors. These Warriors (certainly including the Vietnam guys) have a bond of respect for all fellow Warriors regardless of the War. War is hell and these are Brothers in arms!

07-Jun-19
Every time I think about WWII it blows me away what people went through. I literally cannot comprehend it and I hope it never happens again. I don't think remembering the atrocities of war is supposed to make us disparage today's youth.

And just remember, if you don't like the attitude of people younger than yourself, you had a hand in raising them. Each generation raises the one beneath it and we are a product of our parent's teaching until we are truly old enough to think for ourselves - which for most people isn't going to be until after they are married and gone for a couple years.

When I visit with my Oma, a survivor of WWII it is impossible not to notice the absolute thankfulness for what this country can offer. Every since she landed and her husband as well she said even in their eighties they would look at each other and say "Can you believe how lucky we have it?" She has this IMMENSE sense of gratefulness for what our country offers that she didn't have, and IMO that is what is missing most today. Gratefulness is also taught, and to see the rates of suicide amongst kids that haven't even hit real life yet, we are obviously missing all the amazing things that we have.

07-Jun-19
The problem is APuals that it isn't just a parents influence that solely dictates what a kids attitudes and beliefs and behaviors are. They always say it takes a village to raise a child and I believe that. I had a great impact from coaches, teachers, professors, and parents of friends. When you look at how liberal our colleges and university professors have become I feel this has created a lot of our problems. Just my opinion which doesn't mean much to most.

07-Jun-19
I agree with Beav on this part. I think Vietnam really split the country into what we have today. Patriotism took a big punch during that war.

07-Jun-19
My father was D Day plus 4 he was in Europe just short of 4 years.He was in the Battle of the Bulge and in the group that took Dachau.He told stories of the war most of which were on the light note but he never spoke of Dachau until he was around 87 he passed when he was 89.That generation really left this country in a much better way than they found it. Lewis

07-Jun-19
I agree Beav, my only point is we are very quick to shift blame to others. We also need to realize that almost no matter what, either by guilt or omission, we ourselves have most likely contributed. I mean that as a "collective" we, not a person individual. To say "one generation is the problem" is not true. Much like how you mention the liberal teaching in school. The people laying down the education are of one generation, while the generation soaking up the learning (aka: the problem) is doing so from the aforementioned generation.

All I'm saying is it's easy to point the finger. I didn't want to get the thread off track, and think gratefulness for what our vets went through, and what we have today is a huge missing ingredient in life.

07-Jun-19
In agreement APauls! Bless our military of today and the past!

07-Jun-19
Lewis, I'm reading this thread sitting in the waiting room at a doctors office where I just brought my father in law for a check up. He was also in the 45th infantry and was part of the force that liberated Dachau. He's been telling me stories about it for the last 10 years. My wife said that he never talked about the war while she was growing up. He wasn't at D-day. He was coming up from southern France while the D-day forces were landing. He fought throughout Europe including Anzio. Also in Northern Africa.

07-Jun-19
But,but,civilian millennials are fighting AOC’s climate change which is like gonna be WWII,what did I miss?

My dad was a man,a nose gunner on a B-24 and never said a word to me of his service.

That said......Anyone putting themselves in harms way no matter their age is a straight up Patriot and deserves our respect.My office has two American Flags flown each and every day for all the past and present warriors God Bless You All

07-Jun-19
Boreal dad told a lot of stories but Dachau was a different animal it took him a long time to even mention it.After he allowed himself to talk about it my niece actually videotaped him detailing what he saw I have never watched it he passed October 2001.I will watch this video shortly.God bless your father in law Lewis

10-Jun-19

JayZ's Link
Couple posters are conspicuously absent after starting this thread.

Check out the link. Maybe all of America's youth isn't so bad.

• Sitka Gear