ki-ke 19-Jun-19
Grey Ghost 19-Jun-19
Treeline 19-Jun-19
nmarchr 19-Jun-19
Spiral Horn 19-Jun-19
DL 21-Jun-19
t-roy 21-Jun-19
08-Jun-19
I know what I "prefer" but have 2 opportunities this year! 1 of each! I've never kilt a September Muley! Never hunted mule deer in September! Until this year if I live long enough God willing!

So I guess what I'm asking to see, are some pics of both velvet and stripped mulies? Let's see em!

08-Jun-19
Kill ‘em when you can. Have a bunch of velvet deer and a few hard horned. Kind of like women, variety is good!

08-Jun-19
I personally like the hard antelered look. I especially like that it is usually accompanied by that smooth grayish cold season hide. For some reason, the velvet and summer cape always makes me feel like the deer isn't "done" yet.

08-Jun-19
I love velvet but agree that the grey coat is a lot prettier than the red summer coat.

08-Jun-19
It seems to me to be one of those east/west things (Hoyt vs. Matthews).

Western archery guys generally seem to understand that velvet deer doesn't require an explanation as to whether it was an archery kill.

From what I have gleaned from this site, for most eastern guys killing a velvet deer is akin to having sex with your sister. And depending on how far south and east you are from, maybe even worse (I kid, I kid).

08-Jun-19
I want one big velvet buck, as that's what I grew up dreaming about and I want to kill all 5 species in velvet.

But no question to me, the later season capes are far prettier than the transition summer coats.

08-Jun-19
I love the look of early season Mule deer with their summer capes and velvet antlers

08-Jun-19

BullBuster's embedded Photo
BullBuster's embedded Photo
Not Uge but I like his fuzzy rack.

08-Jun-19

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Matt is right on. In the East a velvet buck is a poached Buck. Personally the more I hunt the West I’m coming around to the velvet even though this one on the right is synthetic. The one on the left was in velvet but I stripped and stained hard horned.

08-Jun-19
Hey Charlie....so I'm assuming that is not the original cape on the hard horned buck?

08-Jun-19

Bake's embedded Photo
Bake's embedded Photo
I really like the velvet and summer cape look. Although I do need a hard horned now. My taxidermist hated the patchy summer cape. He didn’t wanna let that cape out of his shop. But I like it

08-Jun-19

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
For me velvet screams bowhunting but they have eluded me for 7+ years. I tried to kill this 3x3 in velvet but ended up getting him much later in the season. He looks great on the wall but really want a velvet buck.

08-Jun-19
I’m hunting the plains this year but in the next couple years I’d love to Arrow a velvet muley. Struck out last year. Moving to a recurve this year so don’t plan to be picky.

08-Jun-19
Whatever I'm hunting at the time... Ed F

08-Jun-19
Not that crazy about caribou in velvet, but muleys look pretty neat. They get some unique markings on their foreheads sometimes as well. Looks like a phoenix to me. (Kind of like the markings on Bullbuster’s buck)

08-Jun-19
Hard or soft horned doesn’t matter as long as they’re big horned :-)

08-Jun-19
Much prefer the fuzz.

08-Jun-19

Twinetickler's embedded Photo
Twinetickler's embedded Photo
Hope to find this buck this August with a short gray cape and good velvet. Don't come any prettier than that imo.

08-Jun-19
If it’s still in velvet, it’s not ready yet.

08-Jun-19
Really, really want a red coated, pencil necked, fuzzy horned muley!

08-Jun-19
Errorhead:

Not true, actually. It really depends what stage of velvet the antlers are in when taken. Many are dried and completely done growing.

09-Jun-19

tradi-doerr's embedded Photo
tradi-doerr's embedded Photo
Gotta love them velvet bucks, but I'll take either as I just like mulies! Here is pic of the one I took last year opening day 8/25/18. He had just started to thin up a bit getting ready to strip off the velvet.

09-Jun-19
Love em both! I supposed I’d lean hard horned but I got a thing for velvet too!

09-Jun-19
i made it a goal of mine when i was younger to harvest a whitetail, coues, muley, and both blacktails in velvet. i accomplished that goal and i am glad i did ,, now , my goal is to get each one that qualifies for P&Y.(almost there) Tom

09-Jun-19
A velvet buck just ain't ripe. It's like picking a green peach.

09-Jun-19
Not even close, Olink

09-Jun-19

StickFlicker's embedded Photo
I lucked out that this one had a great grey cape, with virtually no summer hairs left, but perfect velvet antlers.
StickFlicker's embedded Photo
I lucked out that this one had a great grey cape, with virtually no summer hairs left, but perfect velvet antlers.
For the many of you that seem to prefer winter grey capes (rather than patchy summer capes) but velvet antlers, just hold off shooting until you find one with that combination! Ha!

09-Jun-19

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo

Like this one StickFlicker?

09-Jun-19

Bowfinatic 's embedded Photo
I think having one of each is tremendous!

09-Jun-19

09-Jun-19
Velvet on a Mule deer rack is like coveting a low resolution picture of one of the most beautiful women on Earth. I never have understood the "why" of it. That stated, I trust my fellow bowhunters to treasure what they do and am commensurately happy for them when they achieve that particular goal.

09-Jun-19
I don't like velvet bucks.

10-Jun-19
Me either. I like polished antler.

10-Jun-19

Drnaln's embedded Photo
Drnaln's embedded Photo
I like to hunt them any season. Velvet bucks are easier to locate & pattern. Here is 1 in velvet & another I hunted for almost a month that stripped the day before I shot him.

10-Jun-19

Joe Holden's embedded Photo
Joe Holden's embedded Photo
Like them all. Just happened to get one in velvet big enough to justify a mount. The cape turned out awesome on this one (9/02/18). Now I'm chasing the dark antlered, deep grey, massive muley i saw last year.

10-Jun-19

KyleSS's embedded Photo
2013 Mule Deer
KyleSS's embedded Photo
2013 Mule Deer
KyleSS's embedded Photo
2014 mule deer
KyleSS's embedded Photo
2014 mule deer
KyleSS's embedded Photo
Buddies 2015 Mule Deer I guided him to
KyleSS's embedded Photo
Buddies 2015 Mule Deer I guided him to

10-Jun-19

KyleSS's embedded Photo
2016 Mule Deer
KyleSS's embedded Photo
2016 Mule Deer
KyleSS's embedded Photo
2018 Mule Deer
KyleSS's embedded Photo
2018 Mule Deer
Few more

10-Jun-19
I like 'em both!

10-Jun-19

Busta'Ribs's embedded Photo
Hmmm. Let’s see. Thin hair, fuzzy antlers that better not get bumped, hang out and lay around all day in the flower filled, sunny-warm meadows with a bunch of other dudes? Or... Hard horned, heavy hide, prime muscular condition with thick shoulders and swollen neck during the rut? Cruise around all day/night kickin ass and bangin does. These things all scream peak masculine doe-bangin ass-whooper to me. That’s what I like. But that’s just me. Now, all that said, I’ve seen a few high quality jumbo velvet mounted mulies and I want one!

10-Jun-19
I also am one of those guys who don't like velvet antlers. Dunno why.

But if you're gonna mount them that way, I think that getting them freeze dried is the way to go for the most natural look.

11-Jun-19
I hate the velvet. Hunting mulies this year and I will specifically wait to hunt until after they are stripped.

11-Jun-19
In most areas I hunt mule deer, they start migrating out as soon they strip velvet. They simply vanish and may be 20 - 30 miles away in a different unit a day or two after the velvet comes off.

11-Jun-19
Waiting for bucks to strip the velvet might not be an option in Nevada or other states with early archery seasons? I've seen bucks still packing velvet on the last day of the season. I've had the best results with having the velvet injected by a taxidermist to preserve it. I did a couple with the freeze-dry method & they didn't turn out as nice.

11-Jun-19
I have several deer and a caribou in velvet that were simply dried with borax rubbed on the velvet. Still look the same after almost 20 years.

11-Jun-19
My two best mulies were shot above treeline (CO) in full velvet. Both beat the velvet up before I ever got to them on their death run and roll. I stripped them and the taxidermist stained the antlers when he mounted them. They look good...better than the UT buck that the taxidermist preserved the velvet which looks a bit ratty.

11-Jun-19
They're kind of a cool novelty in the velvet but the antler is porous and the racks are usually light and you have to worry about bumping and damaging the velvet. The hard-antlered, polished bone is much cooler and lasting in my opinion. I've killed both whitetails and muleys in velvet and it's hard horn for me.

11-Jun-19
that's hilarious Matt but probably right. Oct 1 bucks don't have velvet in my state

11-Jun-19

Ermine's embedded Photo
Ermine's embedded Photo
How can some of you guys not love the red summer capes and velvet? Velvet just screams Bowhunting to me!

11-Jun-19

Rob in VT's embedded Photo

11-Jun-19

11-Jun-19
I thought I was the only one that thinks velvet is ugly. Suprised it's more like 50/50.

12-Jun-19

BULELK1's embedded Photo
I went Hard Horn, just something about that fake Velvet...
BULELK1's embedded Photo
I went Hard Horn, just something about that fake Velvet...

12-Jun-19
BULELK1, Myself and many others that have post on this threat actually have our deer mounted with the actual deer's velvet, it's preserved using Methanol. There are some great looking mounts and field picts.

12-Jun-19

iceman's embedded Photo
iceman's embedded Photo
Velvet looks good, IMO. The real stuff, I mean. Here's one of mine from a few years ago.

12-Jun-19
Yea real velvet preserved looks great! Fake velvet looks horrible

12-Jun-19

wildwilderness's embedded Photo
wildwilderness's embedded Photo
I love how a freshly killed firm velvet buck looks. I don’t like how the velvet dries out though. I wonder if there is a way to make the dried velvet look better, like when it’s full of blood. Maybe with the fake velvet they can add a latex layer like skin then put the fuzz on to make it look fuller?

13-Jun-19
"most eastern guys killing a velvet deer is akin to having sex with your sister"

This from a Cali guy who moved there for the manscaped, thong wearing roller bladers cruising the seaside walks......... : 0

13-Jun-19

ki-ke's embedded Photo
ki-ke's embedded Photo
FWIW Matt....proof that I've never been inappropriate with my sisters...lol

13-Jun-19

ki-ke's embedded Photo
ki-ke's embedded Photo
nor with yours.....

14-Jun-19
I have both and I like both

14-Jun-19
Awesome deer, Steve!

19-Jun-19

Spiral Horn's embedded Photo
Spiral Horn's embedded Photo
Velvet for sure. I have mounts with both real and artificial and the real presents so much nicer. The fake looks fake

19-Jun-19
Thanks Jared!

19-Jun-19
Ken, that deer looks like he came from the same neighborhood as mine.....great buck!

19-Jun-19

Grey Ghost's embedded Photo
Grey Ghost's embedded Photo
It doesn't really matter to me, but an early season velvet-antlered Mulie always tastes better than a rutted up hard-horned one.

Matt

19-Jun-19
For sure GG. Eatability drops rapidly as soon as the velvet comes off.

19-Jun-19
I enjoy both! I think the rut hunt is a little more fun for me, but those big velvet racks are awesome trophies too!!

19-Jun-19
Thanks Steve. Yeah, both he and his bros were kind of like “PAC-MAN” on that stuff.

Nothing like early season when multiple big bucks in velvet are running together — this guy was running with a even bigger 4 x 3. Which one to shoot was a bit of a dilemma but in the end I just couldn’t pass up a perfectly symmetrical mature 4 x 4 with good mass and eye-guards. No regrets, as both were spectacular.

21-Jun-19

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
3/4 curl velvet buck

21-Jun-19
With a double throat patch to boot!

• Sitka Gear