APauls 11-Jun-19
master guide 11-Jun-19
PoudreCanyon 11-Jun-19
Shawn 11-Jun-19
t-roy 11-Jun-19
Junior 11-Jun-19
09-Jun-19

SteveB's Link
Nope, not for me unless I was starving. Link attached.

09-Jun-19
Steve Rinella killed, cooked, and ate a coyote on a Meat Eater episode. He said it was edible, but nothing great. Reminds me of the Crocodile Dundee line: "It tastes like s##t, but it'll keep you alive."

09-Jun-19
I ate coyote meat loaf at a wild game feed once. Not my favorite.

09-Jun-19
I was always brought up to eat what I killed. So, I pulled the lions out of a coyote I shot. Marinated them, grilled them up, tried them. We called the pizza guy for dinner that night.

09-Jun-19
It probably ranks right up there with possum innards.

Granny Clampett always said “possum innards is jest as good warmed up”!

09-Jun-19
I’ve tried it def not my favorite ...but I’m sure we’ve all eat worse from McDs ..

09-Jun-19

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo

09-Jun-19
LOL @ midwest! No way, man!

09-Jun-19
Id rather starve.

09-Jun-19
Awesome way to getting parasite's...yuck

09-Jun-19
And I thought undercooked muskrat was bad when I was a teenager on a survival camp out weekend !!

09-Jun-19
I cooked a coyote loin one time from a coyote I had killed that didn't stink when I skinned it out. It actually wasn't half bad. I fried it just like I would a deer loin. Deer loin is better. The coyote was better than the grey fox loin I tried the same year. ;)

09-Jun-19
It makes decent jerky

09-Jun-19
We tried mountain lion once and while 50/50 of our group liked it, I didn't like it. Nasty! Not even trying coyote or any other meat eater.

09-Jun-19
Nah

09-Jun-19

WV Mountaineer's Link
https://youtu.be/747_rz-qE4w

This is the same guy. Judge for yourself his level of..... judgement. :^)

Not knocking anyone who has tried it. I'd eat it before starving. However, I'm not currently starving so, the 'yotes won't be gracing my plate for now.

10-Jun-19
I don't know how many people die each year from Coyote meat or touching coyote blood but its always around a dozen. Coyote Blood and meat have a parasite called Hidaded. Which causes a Hidaded cyst in the human stomach. Here is the good part, its 100% terminal no known cure. All federal trappers go through special training for this.

10-Jun-19
master guide your initials should be MG for "mangina". Go pound some Khale and scrape the hillary '16 bumper sticker off of your busted subaru.

11-Jun-19
Seriously coyotes and wolves are nothing to mess with, and yes they can carry those cysts that master guide is talking about.. many of the elk in the west are infected also from picking up wolf or coyote crap while grazing.. all they really have to do is smell it.. I picked up what I believe is to be the mange from one of the many coyotes I handled this winter or the one wolf I trapped.. I wear rubber gloves but I guess it didn't matter as ive had it since January..so eating a coyote? I think its a bad idea.. they are also known to carry the plague76 percent of coyotes tested in Madison county montana had it 15 years ago! Im wondering if I will ever skin another but this mange isn't worth it.. A trip to a high priced dermatologist and one doctor and im still fighting it! Im going for a complete physical soon and yes they are going to test me for those cysts.. I will keep everyone posted, pray for me!

11-Jun-19
No one in his right mind would stoop to eating coyote... Why even consider such a thing? Isn't there enough good filet mignon in the same range as coyotes live it? I mean, coyotes live in cattle country fer cryin out loud. In deer and elk country. This ain't the orient, there are still logical choices to be made. What the hey? Just plain stupid...and I also was taught to 'shoot only what I will eat'. But I make a serious exception when it comes to 'yotes. Crikey, eat a coyote...fools learn the hard way.

11-Jun-19
I watched about a third of that video. The guy is a nut job. His 'as a communion with nature' comment is as out there as thedude's comment is to Master Guide. Just plain idiotic.

11-Jun-19
Coyote no but mountain lion is excellent. Kind of like eating some beaver!! Shawn

11-Jun-19
Coyote no but mountain lion is excellent. Kind of like eating some beaver!! Shawn

11-Jun-19
Thank you masterguide and snareman. I trap coyotes and had no idea there were any kind of health concerns. I've always worn rubber gloves when handling them but that was mostly because I didn't want to transfer the scent to my other traps. I'll be a lot more careful from now on.

11-Jun-19
"Hidaded cyst in the human stomach. Here is the good part, its 100% terminal no known cure."

It definitely sounds like something you wouldn't want to mess with. But 100% terminal, no know cure sounds like a pretty massive exaggeration.

A quick google search of hydatid disease revealed this-

Extremely rare

Fewer than 1,000 US cases per year

Treatable by a medical professional

Requires a medical diagnosis

Lab tests or imaging always required

Spreads through contaminated food or water

Medium-term: resolves within months

Echinococcosis is spread by contact with animal feces contaminated with tapeworm eggs. Sources include contaminated food, water, and animal fur.

Cysts containing tapeworm larvae may grow in the body for years before symptoms appear. When cysts become large, they may cause nausea, weakness, coughing, and belly or chest pain.

Treatment may include surgery, removal of fluid from the cysts, and medication.

Still, I am with most of you. I wouldn't eat it unless it was a pure survival situation.

11-Jun-19
I carved a nice piece of meat off the hind of a healthy coyote I'd just shot. I smelled it and thought it stunk, but took it home and put it in the fridge anyway. Two days later I took it out and still thought it had a slight stink on it. I figured it was just my subconscious smelling that kinda putrid odour coyotes have. So a few spices and into the pan it goes. Well two minutes in and the stink is getting intense! Experiment over and right into the garbage.

I've eaten a lot of different animals and I'm not squeamish even a bit, but I think I'd rather eat curried cat shit than coyote!

11-Jun-19
I'd go vegan first.

11-Jun-19
To the mountain man, your comment about my massive exaggeration, its not mine. I was told this info by U.S.D.A. doctors at a safety training meeting on blood Diseases in predators. And to the Dude, ya completely lost me, Khale, Hillary, a Subaru ? I am talking about Blood Diseases in coyotes.

11-Jun-19
Have you guys all smelled a dead coyote? I have. No thanks.

11-Jun-19
I bet it taste worst than Beaver and Beaver is pretty bad. I used to go to a game dinner every year for about 15 years, one guy always bought pulled beaver(like pulled pork) it was terrible!! I only eat one kind of beaver anymore and that normally taste pretty good. Shawn

11-Jun-19
Pulled beaver is getting pretty hard to come by these days. Most of it is shaved anymore.

11-Jun-19
Amen

• Sitka Gear