Charlie Rehor 10-Jun-19
ryanrc 10-Jun-19
Shug 10-Jun-19
Huntcell 11-Jun-19
Dirk Diggler 11-Jun-19
carcus 11-Jun-19
10-Jun-19

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Western Canadian skull on left and Eastern Canadian skull on right.
Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Western Canadian skull on left and Eastern Canadian skull on right.
Note the difference in the back (top) of these two bear skulls. On the left is an Alberta bear skull and on the right is a Newfoundland bear skull. Not sure what conclusions to draw but they are different.

10-Jun-19
Normally IMO an eastern bear on average will have a smaller skull than a western bear of the same age. What’s odd from your pic is that they appear close to the same size but the western bear seems older best I can tell from the one photo...

10-Jun-19
Also what leads me To think ones older is that the separate pieces of bone that make up the skull on the left one appear to be gelled (arthritic) together...

10-Jun-19
I’m pretty sure the Western bear (left) is older.

I just sent the teeth off to www.deerage.com to find out the age.

10-Jun-19
Appears you shot a genetically inferior Alberta bear Charlie...but a superior Eastern bear...hmmm?

10-Jun-19
I wonder if a two skull comparison is enough data to make any conclusions.

10-Jun-19
Different species. Petition super slam org and I bet they will create a new species

10-Jun-19
Dale06: It is not.

Post up your bear skulls guys (with Province) and we’ll see what we get.

10-Jun-19
The one on the left looks to be from a much older bear.

10-Jun-19

Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
Bear on left is a 20” plus Alberta Right is a 19” plus Maine

Alberta bear was much younger than the Maine bear and almost 1/2 inch larger... I do believe western bears are on average bigger skulled... Apples to Apples

11-Jun-19
All antidotal makes for a conversation it’s about all. I heard Arizona bears are large skulled for there body size.

Southern Manitoba and northern Wisconsin skulls run big yet in the middle of those two areas Minnesota, tend to be smaller.

After thousands of comparison perhaps a definite trend can be seen and then there can be numerous subspecies delineated and we can go for the 7 sub-species black bear slam or something to that nature.

11-Jun-19
I'm with Dale on the small sample size comment and I have nowhere near the bear experience some of you do. I think the bear on the right is older and here's my reasoning. As I look at the deer skulls I have, the younger bucks orbital bones are much sharper and more pronounced. The older bucks, the orbital bones blend into the skull with little pronunciation. I dont have the benefit of seeing either bear alive, or dissecting either bear after harvest. But that's my wag from 1 pic of 2 skulls.

11-Jun-19
Our manitoba bears seem to have longer skulls in the western parts of of the province

• Sitka Gear