Moultrie Mobile
80 days...What are you doing to prepare?
Elk
Contributors to this thread:
midwest 13-Jun-19
elkstabber 13-Jun-19
grossklw 13-Jun-19
lamb 13-Jun-19
SBH 13-Jun-19
ElkNut1 13-Jun-19
HUNT MAN 13-Jun-19
APauls 13-Jun-19
gil_wy 13-Jun-19
Teeton 13-Jun-19
Brotsky 13-Jun-19
Ambush 13-Jun-19
BGbasbhat 13-Jun-19
SoDakSooner 13-Jun-19
LINK 13-Jun-19
bow-hnt 13-Jun-19
OFFHNTN 13-Jun-19
Glunt@work 13-Jun-19
KSflatlander 13-Jun-19
Dale06 13-Jun-19
Z Barebow 13-Jun-19
Destroyer350 13-Jun-19
elkmtngear 13-Jun-19
wilbur 13-Jun-19
Deertick 13-Jun-19
Jaquomo 13-Jun-19
Z Barebow 13-Jun-19
midwest 13-Jun-19
trophyhill 13-Jun-19
Willieboat 13-Jun-19
Jaquomo 13-Jun-19
Jaquomo 13-Jun-19
Bowbender 13-Jun-19
Scrappy 13-Jun-19
YZF-88 13-Jun-19
'Ike' (Phone) 13-Jun-19
fubar racin 13-Jun-19
Ambush 13-Jun-19
Jaquomo 13-Jun-19
Bigdan 13-Jun-19
G-Man 13-Jun-19
cnelk 13-Jun-19
EmbryOklahoma 13-Jun-19
Brotsky 13-Jun-19
APauls 13-Jun-19
Bake 13-Jun-19
Brotsky 13-Jun-19
joehunter 13-Jun-19
SBH 13-Jun-19
Bowboy 13-Jun-19
maxracx 13-Jun-19
Thornton 13-Jun-19
WapitiBob 13-Jun-19
T Mac 13-Jun-19
'Ike' (Phone) 14-Jun-19
Bigdan 14-Jun-19
Jaquomo 14-Jun-19
12yards 14-Jun-19
IdyllwildArcher 14-Jun-19
midwest 14-Jun-19
yooper89 14-Jun-19
c3 14-Jun-19
Billyvanness 14-Jun-19
Scar Finga 14-Jun-19
shooter 14-Jun-19
Ermine 15-Jun-19
Jaquomo 15-Jun-19
'Ike' (Phone) 15-Jun-19
13-Jun-19
Haven't seen a prep thread in a while. Only 80 days until September....what are all you mountain hunters doing to prepare?

I swore I would not be doing any marathons this year but with some prompting from my daughters and siblings, I'm going to attempt to qualify for Boston again. My race is in Madison, WI on Aug. 31...2 weeks before I leave for my elk hunt in Wyo.

I've been running 4 days per week following a modified Hal Higdon program. 1 day of speed work consisting of hill repeats or 800 meter intervals, one day of a fast paced trail run 6 to 9 miles, then back to back long runs on the weekends. The other 3 days, I'm lifting hard but I'll probably back off the intensity when my weekly mileage starts getting close to peaking.

This kind of training will have me in prime condition come September. I'm also shooting my bow most days but I'm not anywhere near as accurate as I want to be at longer distance. I need to step up my archery practice.

Diet is pretty solid but I tend to overindulge on the weekends. Luckily, I'm burning a shit ton of calories with all my training. Still, I need to be more consistent with clean eating to perform my best.

All in all, feeling great at 60! What's everyone else doing?

13-Jun-19
Had a few setbacks in February but have been steadily ramping up my workouts since April. Now I'm doing about 3 workouts per week. Two elk tags secured and my gear is almost straight so now I can focus on GE scouting and working out.

13-Jun-19
3-4 days/week on stair-climber for 50-55 minutes with 55-70#'s in my stone glacier. Running 20ish miles/week, not the same as marathon training last summer, but I'll be ready for mid-sept.

13-Jun-19
been hiking with forty lb pack 5 to 6 days a week at about 8500 to 9000 ft, was hitting it hard at the gym . was up to 550 deadlift at 225 lb. but needed to lose some weight so i'm at 205 now going to 190. brought some tree stands into some wallows already. shooting everyday I have a 15 target 3d setup on my property. still feel young at 61

13-Jun-19
YES! Love it.

I'm doing the Mtn Tough program. On week 8 right now. Always was in the gym before but wasn't pushing as hard lately and hit a plateau. This has been great for me. Bear hunting and baiting all spring is always a good warm up too. Summer goes fast!

13-Jun-19
Working out with weights 3 days a week & Pack carrying 3 days a week. Working out well so far!

ElkNut/Paul

13-Jun-19
Packing 100-200 pounds of bear bait 3 times a week.

13-Jun-19
Packing loads of walleye fillets back to the trailer on the weekend then packing them in my tummy - but I’m not a mountain hunter ;)

13-Jun-19
After a surgery on each knee this winter/spring, I’m focused almost exclusively on quad strength. Early July I’ll be doing 8 days in the Wind Rivers flyfishing and that will kick off the intense cardio... if the knees are willing!

13-Jun-19
I ran late on getting started as I just started last week. To get started I'm hiking the mtn by my house. It's a 1000 ft vertical and 1.25 miles (trail) to the top. Didn't time myself from bottom to top when I started last week. But last time I stared this hike workout, it was I think 50 minutes from bottom to top. By the time I was leaving for my elk hunt I was down to 24 minutes from bottom to top and down 28 pounds.. So I'm hiking, will start biking and started watching what I eat about 2 weeks ago.. I bet I'm down 5 pounds already. Ed

13-Jun-19
Packing 50# up and down the ski hill every other day as many times as I can. On off days I hit the gym for core and upper body work. Will drop about 15# before go time in September. Shooting my bow every day. Love this time of year when the countdown gets into double digits!

13-Jun-19
First mountain hunt for me is goat on August 2nd. Been very busy getting my young hunting partner mentally prepared to pack most of my stuff.

After 65 you really have to hunt smarter not harder. Unless you're Paul@thefort, that is.

13-Jun-19
Coveted early AZ tag in my pocket, so... Shooting at least 20 arrows a day from 30-80 yards. In the gym 3-4 days a week and hiking with a 60#+ a few days a week.

Getting there!

13-Jun-19
Lots of bike riding. Did 155 miles this weekend, 101 on Sat and 54 on Sunday(It was a supported paid ride). Have several bike events this summer all the way up to 2 weeks before we hunt, so that will be the preponderance of my training. Will mix in some weighted hill repeats(which is my normal training thing) and try and shoot a lot. I need to do some running too but have focused a lot on the bike this spring. My glutes and quads are a lot stronger for sure....

13-Jun-19
I’m trying to eat right and lose that last 5 pounds. Other than that I’m currently doing nothing. I stressed fractured my foot training for an 8.5 mile leg of a marathon relay in February. Like an idiot I ran 2-3 times on it in March and ran the relay at the end of May. Needless to say my ankle is no better now than it was in February. I’m letting it rest but I’ll start hitting the rowing machine pretty hard in July. If my ankle doesn’t heal in time the rowing machine will have to work.

13-Jun-19
Cardio one hour on the elliptical in the morning with ankle weights and 40 lbs vest, Gym in the afternoon free weights, finish up with cardio, six days a week. shooting 3-5 times a week and competing once week at the range. then packing into the wilderness August 31st. for 17 Days! first seven days of the hunt, antlers, then if no success, ears! I need meat in the freezer! lol!

13-Jun-19
Monday - Lift chest/arms. Tuesday AM - Run 8.5 miles on treadmill with incline. Tuesday PM - Body Pump high rep low weight class for an hour. Wednesday - Lift back/shoulders. Thursday AM - 34 minutes with 50# weighted vest on stepmill. 34 minutes with 50# weighted vest on incline treadmill from 10-30 degree incline. Thursday PM - Body Pump class. Friday - Lift legs. Saturday - Body Pump class and an hour of elliptical machine. Sunday - 8-9 mile run outside.

13-Jun-19
I ate one doughnut this morning and held off on a second. This weekend I may start filling the firewood shed at the cabin.

13-Jun-19

KSflatlander's embedded Photo
KSflatlander's embedded Photo
CrossFit 3 days per week and backpacking once a month in Arkansas. Not many mountains to climb around here. I’ll go to 4 days per week CrossFit in July/August. I’m using the MyFitnessPal app to watch the calories. I’ve lost 15lbs thus far. Planning on another 15lbs before September. I’ve been shooting every evening out to 60 yds at my homemade lifesize elk target (YouTube copycat target). Also planning to do a couple 3D shoots this summer.

13-Jun-19
I have a lower elevation elk hunt in Sept. have not bow hunted them in 20 years, I’m 68. Like usual, I’m on a tread mill 4-5 days a week for 45 minutes. Lift weights couple days a week.

13-Jun-19

Z Barebow's embedded Photo
Z Barebow's embedded Photo
Running, spinning, stairmaster year around. Weight/lower leg training starting last week. Threw on the weighted pack for the first time yesterday. (60+ lbs) and walked the local flood dike. Last week was maiden voyage of the year with tire drag. Shoot 15-30 arrows 5+ days a week.

Also started throwing these in whenever I get a chance. https://trailrunnermag.com/training/3-minute-mountain-legs.html

13-Jun-19
I either try to hike the trails by my house or in the mountains with a little weight in my pack. Also climbing Longs Peak on July 26th.

13-Jun-19
Year Round, 4 Days per week: 30 minutes on steep grade Treadmill with 30 pound pack, 200 pushups, 200 crunches, 200 tricep lifts.

Shooting 50+ arrows every evening, 6 to 7 days per week, in the Spring and Summer months.

13-Jun-19
I'm basically a pussy, over weight, soft, TKR on my left, bad hip on the right.

Still try to get to the gym but not much hope. I'll figure something out.

13-Jun-19
Cross Fit 3-4x weekly here, along with an additional day of resistance training, and weekend hikes and rides. Nutrition has been better, and could be worse. Alcohol only in moderation these days. Overall -- I feel pretty damn fit and ready for the hills.

13-Jun-19
I'm dating three new, very attractive women. Now it's the vetting process to find out which one will best tolerate my hunting problem from September through mid-January. So far one is inching into the lead, and she also likes to rifle hunt, hike with a pack, and drink microbrews. Tomorrow night at my cabin we'll test out her cardio, but I have a feeling she's in better shape than me right now...

13-Jun-19
Lou- I am married for 25+ years. Why do you think I get my cardio from spinning, running and stairmaster year around? LOL! Looks like the rut is starting early in CO.

13-Jun-19
Lou, be careful to not over train!

13-Jun-19
Working out 4-5 times a week, cardio and weights, and shooting my bow alot. Fixin to start getting the real deal scouting with full pack

13-Jun-19
Drinking lots of beer ;)

13-Jun-19
OurTime is working for me.. I made sure my profile includes tasteful photos of me fishing, hiking with my dog, and standing on a mountain with my bow and wearing a pack, looking both rugged and sensitive, lol! Getting hit on by multiple women in my area every day.

But one woman ripped me apart for bowhunting, how cruel it is, how sadistic I must be. She is from Boulder...

13-Jun-19
One woman I met is absolutely stunning, like, "movie star" gorgeous, loves shooting her recurve at targets, hiking, biking, etc., has no interest in hunting but thinks it's cool that I do. Beats trolling at bars. It's like selective shopping! .

13-Jun-19
"It's like selective shopping! "

2 Day delivery and free returns?

13-Jun-19

13-Jun-19
Twice a week I'll hit the kettle bells. Alternate days run, mountain bike twice a week and a weighted hike once a week with 50lbs. Really not spending as much time as I should though.

13-Jun-19

'Ike' (Phone)'s embedded Photo
Working out 3 days a week, if not 4...Other days are this! Shooting and some type of cardio...

13-Jun-19
30 minutes pack training and 30 minutes lifting on work days and full on gym rat on off days couple hours lifting in the morning and a couple hours under a pack in the evening.

13-Jun-19
Lou, I'll bet the only pic you have on your dating profile is your infamous "hip" x-ray! Little wonder you get so much attention.

13-Jun-19
Ambush, I just suggest that they Google me to make sure I'm not a criminal or something, and I've jiggered the metadata so the Xray is the first thing that comes up. ;-)

13-Jun-19

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
Laying around like a slug trying to heal up So I can walk the older I get the slower healing is taking place my first hunt is Nevada antelope aug 1st

13-Jun-19
Wearing a knee brace and going for an MRI tomorrow.

13-Jun-19

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
There’s a time to train for elk season and a time to fish.

Fish are biting now.

13-Jun-19
Drinking lots of whiskey, smoking grass, eating pizza, burgers and Mexican food on the reg... basically lying around becoming a slug. I'll be ready.

13-Jun-19
Rick, outside of the grass smoking you pretty much laid out my elk shape plan. Pear is a shape isn't it?

13-Jun-19
Holy Hanna Dan that looks rough. Good luck with the healing brother.

13-Jun-19
Sitting behind a desk 9+ hours a day. Eating cold Reese's peanut butter cups with my daughter. Never skipping dessert. Chain-chewing Skoal and smoking cigars when I can get ahold of them. Drinking Diet Dr. Pepper like a fish.

Running a few days a week, and just started walking with a weighted pack.

13-Jun-19
I'm not gonna lie bloodtrail, I look more like Greek Yogurt with my shirt off than a Greek god!

13-Jun-19
Eating salad everyday. Paying for my sinful eating this past winter. Sucks!

13-Jun-19
Geez Dan. That looks painful.

13-Jun-19
Doing my normal running and weights. I've also been fishing a lot.

I think Lou is fishing for somelse.:)

13-Jun-19
I drew a Wyoming tag this year and promptly found out I torn my labrum in my left shoulder and 3 tendons over the Winter. Surgery April 10th to rebuild everything. 8 weeks later in follow up my Dr tells me my shoulder is frozen and I don't have the range of motion I should. We take aggressive measures and undergo a shoulder manipulation procedure under sedation. With physical therapy 3 days a weeks I am hoping I can shoot my bow by Aug 1st. In the mean time I am hiking the local ski hill every day to build the legs and lungs. God willing I WILL be ready for Sept 1st!!!!

13-Jun-19
I work 7 days a week and have no time for this business of "training". I do just fine every fall in the mountains.

13-Jun-19
Down 20# and just ate a donut. Right on schedule.

13-Jun-19
CrossFit 5 days a week 25 lbs lighter since mid April and looking forward to experiencing my first elk hunt with my buddy Chuck.

14-Jun-19

Bob, that’s my plan...Lol

14-Jun-19

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
Looking Better one more trip to see Doctor and i'm off to the cabin

14-Jun-19
Danny, those almost look good enough to eat! So glad you're on the road to recovery....

14-Jun-19
Have had a tough spring running. Kept straining my left calf muscle. Would give it a couple weeks rest and run again and pain again. Finally had a good run w/o pain after a 3 week layoff. So hopefully the rest of the summer will go well. Replaced running with elliptical or incline walking on the treadmill and the usual strength training. I'm not hunting the mountains this year, but want to be able to put plenty of miles on with my whitetail run and gun setup. Got to stay in shape to be able to still climb trees a bunch of times in the fall.

14-Jun-19
Foot looks great Bigdan. Good color. You’ve got some peeling to do, but you’ll be on your feet this Sept.

14-Jun-19
Geezus, Bigdan....looks a heck of a lot better than that first pic!

14-Jun-19
Jaq, didn't peg you as a foot guy.

14-Jun-19

c3's embedded Photo
c3's embedded Photo
Have cams and salt at two of my spots already and have been shooting the bow a few times a week. Also trying to go explore new places at least once a week that no human would be dumb enough to even contemplate. Today I succeeded beyond my wildest imagination at this spot :)

14-Jun-19
Lou I just LOL’d while sitting on crapper...then I saw big Dan’s toes and puckered. This thread screwed up my afternoon throne visit. Heal up fast Dan! Lou don’t wear it out

14-Jun-19
Like I have said to more people than I can count... Never ask a question that you don't really want the answer to! It's been a very rough 2 months!!!! I can only hope it gets better! Yet, I am still blessed every day and thankful to Christ for his blessings, as they are plentiful, and I have no reason to complain:)

Best of luck and God Bless, I hope you all have a blessed and wonderful season!

14-Jun-19
Lou, you're my hero! Someday I want to grow up to be just like you!

15-Jun-19

Ermine's embedded Photo
Ermine's embedded Photo
Been shooting a lot.

15-Jun-19
Ermine, are you wearing those new Kuiu suction cup boots? Your core must be freakin' awesome to hold you up like that. Ninja!

15-Jun-19
Lol...

• Sitka Gear