EmbryOklahoma 19-Jun-19
Medley12 19-Jun-19
Grey Ghost 19-Jun-19
Scar Finga 19-Jun-19
Scar Finga 19-Jun-19
Scar Finga 19-Jun-19
BC 19-Jun-19
18-Jun-19
I haven't owned a new Mathews bow in about 12 years or so. I felt they went way down hill after the Switchback, I still think that may have been one of their best bows they ever built!

I have shot a whole lot of the newer Mathews, Bowtechs etc. and was never that impressed! I went to Hoyt and that is what I have shot since probably 2008 or so... and I loved my Hoyts!

That is until yesterday, when I went down and shot the new Traverse. What an amazing bow!!! I also shot all the new Bowtechs, and I must say that in my opinion the Traverse absolutely blows them away, same for the new Hoyts as well. IMHO, their is no comparison!

The Traverse may be the smoothest and quietest bow I have ever shot! It is a little heavy, and I think the draw takes a little getting used to, but man it is so dead in the hand and absolutely quiet! You almost don't even feel the bow fire, at least that is my impression. I have shot less than 20 arrows through it and I am dead on out to 40 yards! I bought the stone color, I really like it and it goes very nicely with black accessories! I will post a few pictures when I get the chance, but I just wanted to share my experience with it.

Oh... It is a 29" RH. 60-70lbs and has the 85% LO. I am shooting it at 64lbs right now, but I plan on increasing that to around 66 or 67lbs. I am shooting a 450 grain arrow and I have not chrono graphed it yet... but I plan to.

Good Luck and God Bless!

Scar

18-Jun-19
Congrats on your new bow Scar! Not much in this life is more exciting than finding a new bow you like and that likes you back!

18-Jun-19
I went to go buy a Bowtech Realm the other day and they talked me into shooting the Mathews Vertix. I walked out with the Vertix. It was just so much quieter and smoother. I never owned a Mathews before and was a longtime Bowtech guy. Not anymore. Best bow I have ever shot.

18-Jun-19
KS,

Did you shoot the traverse? I think it is even smoother and quieter! I am absolutely amazed! But I do agree, Mathews is the shiznit again!

18-Jun-19
Maybe it's time to upgrade from my Switchback!

18-Jun-19
JC,

It's way better than the Switchback! And I absolutely loved that bow, I still curse the day I sold it!!!!

18-Jun-19
I have owned the traverse for about 4 months now. I was not crazy about the Triax but the Traverse was dead in the hand at the shot, very quiet and plenty quick. I will say it is a bit heavy but 5 or 6 ounces means little to me. Shawn

18-Jun-19
Kept my Switchback, sold Switchback XT to buy Triax now I wish I had waited for the Traverse... oh well the life of the archer.

18-Jun-19
As popular as it is to trash a Mathews, the truth is they are the pinnacle that all others are measured against. For a reason.

18-Jun-19
I did not shoot the Traverse. I shoot a heavy arrow so the Vertix was dead in the hand. Quiet and comfortable. Just like I like my women...lol. Best bow I’ve ever shot by far. Hard to believe the Traverse could beat it but...

18-Jun-19
KS,

I understand completely... About the bow... not the Women:) Glad you like it, best of luck brother!

18-Jun-19
What’s axle to axle on the traverse?

19-Jun-19
I've been a Mathews shooter for years but, this year, I went to my local shop fairly well determined to get a bow from a different manufacturer. Just wanted to see if I was missing out on anything... I walked out with a Vertix. It's not a "brand thing." If anything, looking to switch brands, the name was a detriment this time. But I'd have been a fool to purchase another bow after I shot the Vertix. I did not test a "bad bow" in the lot but the Vertix was head and shoulders above the rest. 2nd place was crowded but first place was obvious.

19-Jun-19
Dale the Traverse is 33" ATA, and the Vertix is 30" ATA.

19-Jun-19
I went to my local shop last night and shot the Triax, Traverse, Vertix, Elite Ritual and Bowtech Realm SR6. I went in thinking this would be the time I tried a Mathews bow again (had a Creed and HATED it) Well I ended up not being able to pass up the Bowtech. The draw cycle sealed the deal for me, plus slightly better performance than the Mathews and a little lighter. Once I get all my accessories on there the little bit of hand shock should be taken care of. The only thing the Mathews bows had over the bowtech was the much better grip, but I can rig that to my liking.

19-Jun-19
Have fun with it! I shot the Traverse, Triax, Vertix and some other Mathews I can't remember right now before I bought the Vertix.

This is only the 4th bow I've owned in 22 years of bowhunting, but it's definitely the best I've had :) I've got about 400 shots on it. Just did a fine tune the other day, and will now get serious about getting her dialed in.

19-Jun-19
I was a pure Mathews shooter from about 2006-2015. I decided I wanted to be contrarian and picked up an Elite in 2016. That lasted a year, before I went back to a Halon 32 in 2017. Fact of the matter is as much as they get dumped on, I can't argue with the fact that Mathews just feels better to me. I'm still shooting the Halons and based on this thread I better stay away from the archery store!

19-Jun-19
Correction...I bought the Vertix not the Triax. What guy has been buying and shooting bows for 35 years...buys a new bow and can't remember the model name? An idiot I guess. Sorry, guys. It still is an awesome bow.

(I edited my previous posts to correct).

19-Jun-19
I won a Mathews Drenalin in a raffle. The whole time I owned it I felt like I had entered the world of archery snobbery. I just always thought that Mathews owners held their nose a little higher than everyone else. I know that is totally ridiculous and the owner of the company is a total class act and devout guy. I used it on an elk hunt and then sold it. It was a great bow. I shot it well, it was light, and had a nice draw cycle. IMO a perfect mountain bow. I think Mathews bows now are a great bow, I just don't like the physical weight of them. Before you call me a wimp, I have bad arthritis in my shoulders and the physical weight of the bow is absolutely an important consideration for me. Otherwise I'd be interested, especially in the Traverse.

19-Jun-19
I have a friend that owns a bowshop and I often shoot what is new. I never really get excited by any of the new bows. I have been a loyal Prime guy and still not ready for a divorce from my Prime. That being said, I shot the Vertix and needless to say if my Prime was stolen, etc., I would replace it with a Vertix. It's a really, really nice bow. I'm not ready to shelf the Prime but the Vertix is the only bow in 3 years to make me consider it.

19-Jun-19
I haven't bought one in a lot longer than that......they lost me with the short ata trend. I would be more than slightly interested in a new one if they made like something around 40" again.

19-Jun-19
12 yards I agree about the weight issue.

Why make em so heavy? Light is good.

19-Jun-19
The weight doesn’t bother me since the balance is perfect.

19-Jun-19
Agree about the Switchback, still have my 2005 Switchback with still shoots great!!! also have a NoCam HTR which draws smooth and shoots well and is easy on my old shoulders. Congrats on the new bow!!!

19-Jun-19
I regret trading my switchback about 7 years ago. I really like my nocam. Don’t anticipate buying another for years.

19-Jun-19
I agree with SA. Not a fan of bows under 38"-40". It's hard to find one over 37" now unless it's a target bow. I'm currently shooting an Elite Victory and like it a lot.....even with the cam lean....

19-Jun-19
I'm jealous, and feel a bit antiquated.

I'm still hunting with my Drenalin, and I occasionally break out my ol' Conquest target bow.

That said, I like shooting my Black Widow recurve better than anything. I'm actually thinking about hunting with it this year.

Matt

19-Jun-19
If you like the Traverse you should try the Obsession FXL.....oh my lord!!

19-Jun-19
Here I am trying to find the right arrow combo for my 45 lb osage selfbow. :)

19-Jun-19
Do it Grey Ghost. If you never have, there’s nothing better. And there’s no better bow than the Black Widow!

19-Jun-19
Thanks Medley12,

I hunted elk with it several years ago, and had a bad experience...20 yard chip shot that I managed to yank, hitting the bull in the shoulder bone. Never found him. I know crap happens, but it kinda soured me on the recurve for a while.

I started shooting it again this spring to rehab 5 broken ribs, and I rediscovered how much fun traditional equipment is. I killed my first wild turkey with it in April.

Sorry for the hijack. I'm looking forward to the pics of the OP's new Matthews.

Matt

19-Jun-19
No hijack at all! I love to read all the stories and different opinions!! This was not a debate free post:/

19-Jun-19

Scar Finga's embedded Photo
Sorry for only one picture, the phone pictures don't do it justice!
Scar Finga's embedded Photo
Sorry for only one picture, the phone pictures don't do it justice!

19-Jun-19
BTW, I have tons of respect for the guys that dedicate themselves to the traditional archery arts! It takes a ton of practice and dedication! I truly wish I had the time! I dabble a lot, but I am no where close to being able to hunt with one!

19-Jun-19
I’v been a Mathews guy since the MQ1 but I have to admit the Hoyt RX3 looks good. With shoulder issues I like the light carbon riser. I’ll stick with my Z7 but next bow will probably be a carbon model. Good info, good thread.

• Sitka Gear