Elite 1 28-Jun-19
Brotsky 28-Jun-19
carcus 28-Jun-19
Hancock West 28-Jun-19
carcus 28-Jun-19
Bowfreak 28-Jun-19
carcus 28-Jun-19
18-Jun-19
I see the bear success thread... but for the hunter, (kinda like deer hunting) what are the bears, especially in Canada doing last few weeks? Is the rut started/starting? Lots of movement? Lil or none? Thanks....

18-Jun-19
I've hunted in early, mid and late May in Saskatchewan and New Brunswick alternatively since 02.

Having said that, I think the last week of May first week in June is the start of the rut.

The giants seem to get extremely active searching for hot shows the last 2 weeks of June.

I'd be curious what everyone else thinks.

18-Jun-19
Thank you for input. I’m looking forward to others as well.

21-Jun-19
Alright bowsiters dont be holding out. Anxious to hear those expert opinions myself.

21-Jun-19
A novice here, but I was in Canada the last week of May and my guide told me the rut was just beginning.

22-Jun-19
I hunted Ontario the first week of June(2-8) and the last 3 days seemed to best for the large boars. 2 were taken that hadn't been seen on trail cams at all, so they were moving.

24-Jun-19
First day in New Brunswick... son and I .... he said he counted 16? Including 3 cubs.

Sows are in season and bears on the move.

Beautiful day to be in Gods creation. Passed a nice bear in hopes of bigger one in area. Maybe tomorrow but sows are in heat seems.

26-Jun-19
Monday we seen 16 bear my son counted Tuesday nothing, wind swirling a lot Tonight seen 6-8 bears and I did harvest a big boar .... left him in woods and will post pics tomorrow.... here in New Brunswick where I’m hunting bears are definitely still rutting.... we watched the boar I shot tonight chase off several other boars ... and then the sow led him 10 to ten yards from me.... his mistake.

Seen sow that had been bred tonight already as well but the one which brought in the boar I shot still had a perfect coat and no rub marks from breeding.... For what it’s worth! God bless America

28-Jun-19
When you say bears in Canada that's a huge area from East to West, North to South but for us in NW Alberta the season ends June 15th. The breeding seems to begin as early as May 15 and goes till the end of the season and beyond. I would say the peak breeding, roaming part is June 1-15 but it's not necessarily the best hunting time, sometimes hunting a heavily feeding boar before mid May is easier, less frustrating than waiting for a roaming boar to show back up on your bait. But then some old giant boars will never show daylight pictures till June so they are virtually impossible to kill before then. Also when the snow came off and then how much rain and heat we get are factors in how the activity is going to be. In the end we kill just as many big bears from May 1 through June 15 so just hunt when you can.

28-Jun-19
They are gobbling fawns like candy right about now.

28-Jun-19
6/26/19 I shot my boar... he green scored a strong 21”+

That evening as I said previously there was a sow who had already been bred her side toward tore up really bad, but there was another sow who was not bread yet. If it would not of been for her I would not have shot the bear I did.

He ran off several other boars And over in the bush which we could not see in to...it literally sounded like someone taking a quad runner and breaking trees. I have never heard so much commotion, growling and breaking of trees in my life in the bush. After everything calm down the boar I shot Came out with the sow and she led him to 10 yards from me. The interesting thing was after we skint my boar, he had cut marks and bite marks all over him from the fighting, I never seen the boar he was fighting with but We compared the puncture wounds from the canines bite marks to the boars teeth that I shot which was 21 inches and the bear that bit my 21 inch bear had an easy 5/8” bigger bite mark.... big bear for sure head wise.

28-Jun-19
I think the skin would stretch before the canines break through causing a larger looking bite, your bear was likely bigger, could've been a sow biting him

28-Jun-19
I shot a 20 13/16 on June 12th he came into the bait following a sow. Walked right by bait not a bite he sat 100 yds off bait and just watched her eat. Then she went the opposite way and he came right back thur granted at him and he stopped for the shot. The rut Is definitely worth hunting. If you can find a big bore on bait early can be good to he will make it his own.

28-Jun-19
+1 carcus, agreed. A bigger bear likely would have been the victor in the battle and came in with the sow. Either way it sounds like an awesome experience! Congrats on your giant bear! Lets see those pics!

28-Jun-19
Ive killed almost all my big bears in May, usually May 20-31

28-Jun-19
Carcus & Mike do you worry about "green up"? and when is it in your area? We'll be hunting May 19-24th 2020 in the bottom of the northern third of Alberta. I think its 4-5hours north of Edmonton. Moon visability should be less that 15% the whole time if that helps any with daytime movement.

28-Jun-19
I worry about loosing bears to whatever is coming up, only because it sucks when i drive 5 hours to hunt and the bait is dead, i love to finish up before green up!

28-Jun-19
How do you keep your area baited when you are 5 hrs away? Do you have a friend that is more local or are you able to put out enough bait to last a week or so?

28-Jun-19
I have 5 drums at my sight, generally it will last 5-7 days

• Sitka Gear