Beav 21-Jun-19
jdee 21-Jun-19
LKH 21-Jun-19
cnelk 21-Jun-19
jdee 21-Jun-19
Irishman 21-Jun-19
WV Mountaineer 21-Jun-19
19-Jun-19
Did you call the Montana State Police? That's where I'd turn it in if I found it and there was no identification on it.

19-Jun-19
Damn, that sucks big time Scoot, really hope the good karma fairy comes through and you recover it. You and I are pretty similarly sized, if you need to borrow anything in the meantime while you resupply you know how to get a hold of me, be happy to help.

19-Jun-19
So sorry guys. I got some Extra stuff that I can send. And we didn’t get a bear!! Next time

19-Jun-19
Dang that's bad news sorry to hear. If you need anything let me know be glad to help! Hope your stuff gets returned asap.

19-Jun-19
Ah, crap, that sucks!

19-Jun-19
Man Scoot, That sucks!! I hope you recover it!! As stated above, I can help out if you need to use any stuff before you can replace it!!

19-Jun-19
I hit a large dark blue cooler on a dark road. Cooler had fallen off a trailer or out of the back of truck or off the top of a vehicle. Did a lot of damage as it lodged under my SUV and prevented me from steering. If I ever find "D. Roberts" then have a bone to pick. Is dangerous for anyone on the road when someone in front of them inadequately secures items.

19-Jun-19
Sorry to hear that Scoot. I hope that by some miracle of fate, you get the stuff back.

19-Jun-19
Someone is always gonna have something negative to say Scoot......it amazes me. Not gonna be much help in MS, but I sure hope you get your stuff back!!!

19-Jun-19
Call your insurance agent and see if you can put in a claim under your homeowners policy. Worth the call.

20-Jun-19
So sorry to hear Scoot.

Stuff happens. Don't fault the guy that ratchet-strapped down his gear but it somehow came loose.

A friend of mine left his backpack on his trailer tongue and drove home. It held his Swaro scope, binos, rangefinder and other paraphernalia. All engraved with his name, number and ID. He retraced his route and didn't find it. Never turned up. But then again it was NM so not surprising given our riffraff.

Let me know how I can help...I hear it was time for new gear anyway. Good plan as a way to sell the idea to your wife ;o)

20-Jun-19
If you have homeowners insurance, there is a good chance you are covered. Next question is if you lost enough to be worth turning in a claim. Consider your deductible first, and that only your gear can be claimed as your partner’s gear is not covered by your policy, and if there is a large enough loss value (replacement cost of the gear) over the deductable then you might consider turning in a claim. I wouldn’t recommend it unless your looking at a few grand or more. It’s not worth “nickel and diming” insurance co’s with small claims. I’ve worked in the claims business, on the property owners side of the fence for nearly 40 years, fighting insurance companies and making sure they treat property loss victims fairly. PM me if you need any advice. (BTW, your buddy’s gear could also be covered, so don’t misunderstand what I wrote above, but it would have to be based on a claim he makes with his HO carrier)

20-Jun-19
The "buddy" is his son Ryan, so all the same home. But I echo that by the time you pay deductible and evaluate the possibility of raised rates or even being dropped by your carrier often an insurance claim doesn't make sense.

20-Jun-19
The other issue on insurance Scoot, is the "peril". If you have "Special Perils" on contents, probably not an issue, but normal "Broad" form perils and I don't think having them fly out the back of your truck would be covered. And I agree with Chris, if the value is not substantial, I wouldn't go that route anyway. Good luck!

20-Jun-19
OUCH!!!! That has to hurt Scoot....that is some high quality gear. You only hope is some hippy find it and thinks "what the hell are these funny looking clothes". If a sportsman of low character finds he will think he hit the lottery.

Not sure if this is possible but one time I found a tool box that fell out of some guys truck. When I looked at the tools when I got home I knew the guy was making a living with them....all top shelf Snap On wrenches etc. I went back and put up a sign and finally got a call. After a few questions I knew they were his. Might work on someone's conscience if you have someone in the area to help you out.

20-Jun-19

ND String Puller's embedded Photo
ND String Puller's embedded Photo
Scoot Are these your Miendl’s ? I just picked them up in the ditch along the interstate. I had to wrestle a homeless man for them! I Kid, I Kid ! Seriously though sorry you lost your stuff. You have my luck, my wife says I’d lose my a$$ if it wasn’t attached. Hope you guys can get it back.

20-Jun-19
Believe it or not your insurance company may help. Shawn

20-Jun-19
Bummer Scoot, hope something goes your way on this!

21-Jun-19
Hate to hear it man! Stuff like that happens...there are honest people out there, hopefully you get a call that makes your day real soon!

21-Jun-19
One other thing - When I travel like that and pull my trailer I use those stretchy cargo nets in addition to strapping the big stuff down. It’s saved me a couple of times, especially with stuff that’s a problem tying down. I have several, very easy to use

21-Jun-19
I hate to hear this... a lot of good gear for sure. Best of luck in the recovery, you never know.

21-Jun-19
Does anyone ever stop to ponder why insurance premiums are always getting jacked up? I know the answer, but gee wiz. Sorry the gear flew out of the truck Scoot. What kind of container was it? Any chance it didn't come open on the landing? Most people wouldn't stop for a container on the side of the interstate, but if they saw some Sitka hanging out, they sure as well might. Good luck, and don't give up hope.

21-Jun-19
"Does anyone ever stop to ponder why insurance premiums are always getting jacked up? I know the answer, but gee wiz."

Gee Wiz - Cheese Wiz - or Go Take a Wiz! You think you know the answer? If the answer is any thing other than to jack up the astronomic and outrageous profits insurance carriers make year in and year out, then you have no idea what the real answer is buddy. Looks like you are implying it might be frivolous claims? Consider two things: First of all, policies are simple contracts, and cover sudden accidental damage. So a policy is paid for, a strap suddenly breaks and a bunch of high dollar gear gets lost/damaged. If it's covered, a claim gets filed and a payment is made. So is it wrong to collect? Now consider this - 2005, The year of Hurricane Katrina and "The Year Of The Storm". Worst on record, 28 named storms in the Atlantic basin, 15 of which became hurricanes and 7 of which made landfall in the US. Three of those, Katrina, Rita and Wilma were all Cat 5 storms that hit the US. Guess what happened to the Property & Casualty carriers that year? They posted over $40 Billion in profits (that's with a B).

So please Corey, don't get me started on why premiums are getting "jacked up". Do some research first dude....

21-Jun-19
Your insurance premiums go up based on actuarial algorithms which are based on actual risk profile outcomes. So the computer knows with 99%+ accuracy what will happen with your policy based on 10’s of millions of people just like you. The companies get regulatory approval to increase policy costs within a range. If you even call your carrier and ask a question it can cause a rate increase. The algorithms see that as if something has already taken place because a majority of the time it has. That’s why people want to know what’s in their policy. So read your policy , only call your agent if he is independent from the carrier.

The filed claims payouts come out of policy reserves that insurance companies have to keep by law , which vary by state. It can also come from the uninsured pool some states require for auto. So a percentage of what you pay the insurance company cannot be touched in a year unless a claim is filed. After your policy expires the reserve is moved to the profit column. In the Katrina year the storms hit in August to Oct. so most of the large payouts didn’t take place until 90 days later. A majority of the premium year had passed so profits were high because they payouts hit the next premium year. People are still paying for Katrina in increased insurance costs mostly because so many carriers stopped doing business in Fla. Mathematically the west coast is overdue for a big earthquake. Most carriers dropped Equake coverage from their standard homeowners policies in the past 10 years and it became a named peril policy. In all thing were the risk is high the reward is high. Don’t like insurance, self insure. Hint: the numbers are not in your favor.

21-Jun-19
Oh crap that sucks!! Hate to hear this! Hope that some honest person comes across it and turns it in.

21-Jun-19
About 5 years ago I lost a pair or Swarovski 10x42 EL’s and a Garmin gps couldn’t believe it, looked for weeks trying to find them , thought about how the hell did I lose them all the time. About a year later my wife was cleaning out a small room full of hunting gear and picked up one of my kids little, cheap camo hunting backpack and opened it up and there they were. I didn’t care how they got there I had them back......so there’s still hope !!

21-Jun-19
jdee, Wasn't that backpack a little small for you?

21-Jun-19
Hate to say it but...Maybe they made their way to Goodwill or some other donation place?

Not everyone has the love for Sitka and Kuiu gear

21-Jun-19
LKH that backpack was one of my kids he had put them in there and forgot about it. I would have hung him but I was so damn glad to see them again I didn’t care.

21-Jun-19
It could well just be laying in the ditch. At high speed on the interstate a container could travel a good distance before coming to rest. There is a good chance it hasn't been found yet, and when it is found there is a good chance that the people would want to return it. The question is, what would that person do to try and return it? How would the know who lost it? Maybe put a little ad in the Bozeman newspaper?

21-Jun-19
^^^^^This^^^^^. Found or not found is unknown. But, the biggest variable you can contribute to now to best your chances on getting it back, is making sure whoever found/finds it, has a way of knowing who lost it.

All the good intentions in the world means nothing if someone does not know where to begin to help others. Good luck and God Bless Scoot

• Sitka Gear