Owl 20-Jun-19
Gregnjbh 20-Jun-19
Korey Wolfe 21-Jun-19
Ambush 21-Jun-19
Korey Wolfe 14-Aug-19
Ambush 14-Aug-19
Treeline 14-Aug-19
19-Jun-19
So what is a more common shot, straight up or straight down while goat hunting? Any advice on a practice routine for steep angles common in archery goat hunting? My hunt starts in exactly 2 months from today.

Korey Wolfe

19-Jun-19
Is better to shoot from above than below. A goat on a ledge is hard to see from below as get closer to the ledge. You might approach from the side as well, though, if goats are not on a ledge but in a meadow eating or bedded. Were you able to speak with any prior tag holders for your hunt?

19-Jun-19
More likely to get a downhill shot due to terrain from my experience.

Climb up on your garage roof, or any elevated platform, to practice. An angle-compensating range finder is also a handy tool to have on a goat hunt.

Matt

19-Jun-19
As stated more likely to shoot downhill. Similar to tree stand except more awkward footing and no security of being tethered. I find it easier than steep uphill shots were I feel like I will roll downhill afterwards. I use a spot with cliffs and shoot off of them before most Mountain hunts including deer where they likely bed under rim rocks.

19-Jun-19
You will never shoot Straight up or down. It is impossible and even if you could you wouldn’t since he goat would fall a long long way and be destroyed if not lost all together.

I do think you will get more shots at a downWARD angle since it is more likely you will be above them and in bow range than below them in bow range. If you don’t take an angle compensating rangefinder it would be a massive mistake.

19-Jun-19
It depends on the goats and where you are hunting them. I'd practice all angles. As dumb as it sounds, Goats and Sheep prefer to escape up. If you come from below them, many times you can close within bow range even if they see you so your shot will be up, or cross slope.

19-Jun-19
I would say the people who’ve said you’re much more likely to have a downward angle shot than an upward angle shot have it right. My experience was that most stalks were from above coming down on a goat. But I’d also say be prepared for anything. The shot on my goat was more or less flat at 16 yards.

19-Jun-19
Practice all the angles and you’ll be ready for whatever opportunity presents itself.

19-Jun-19
Practice close shots.

Many times you can get very close. Shot my last one from above at about 15 yards.

Hope to be that close on my goat this year as I will be doing it with a selfbow.

19-Jun-19
I've taken two goats with my bow. One was downhill the other was same level. Usually you'll be shooting downhill or above from cliffs or benches.

19-Jun-19

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
Be sure and take a safety net.

19-Jun-19
If you are in WI, get a farmer to let you shoot off his silo for the downhill part of your steep angle practice. For uphill, hang an 18-1 Rhinehart on a pulley suspended on the silo and shoot up at it. Or take a trip to some of the western 3-D shoots in CO, UT, MT, ID, UT, WA etc for some real practice in the mountains.

I've arrowed a couple goats. One was from above and one from below as Caz described. Good luck!

20-Jun-19
I've drawn 2 Mnt. Goat tags over the years and the Colo was dang near straight down and the Utah was moderate up the mountain.

I spend many hunts helping out other tag holders here on the Willard Peak unit and I think those have been about 50/50 up or down shots...….

Good luck, Robb

20-Jun-19
Practicing for a lion hunt, I had a bear 3D target on a pulley in a tree. Something like that would easily take care of 1/2 the equation. For steep downward angles, I used to have a ladder stand in the back yard with a target pulled in close to the radius of the ladder.

20-Jun-19

20-Jun-19
Two goat hunts- both shots were steep downhill. 1 at 20yds other about 35- just practice shooting at such angles. Good luck

21-Jun-19
My archery hunt with Babine starts August 19th and I'm thankful for all the ideas. I'll probably climb up on our grain bins and place a target up there. While I'm up there, I'll shoot at a target I leave on the ground. I'm sure I will have other opportunities to practice steep angles, maybe I could take a few shots from one of the old fire towers; they are above the treetops!

21-Jun-19
Your shot will most likely be across and then either up or down. Shooting from an elevated position, or at one, is good and necessary practice. Your best practice will be on actual slopes that will replicate foot positioning and body twist. It will also teach you how important the level on your sight is!!!

Climbing up and down from your bins will help condition you for the hunt. Wear your pack while you climb and shoot.

I live in northern BC and have hunted the area numerous times. It's a good area with good goats and about as goat bowhunter "friendly" as you may find.

14-Aug-19
Anybody have a gear list for goats that they wouldn’t mind posting here or PMing me? I’ve been absolutely swamped with work and remodeling the house we just bought...and moving into the unfinished house...lol, it’s been crazy. It’s been busy, but I’ve found time to do some training, but I’m sure not enough. I need to get everything packed so I don’t have to worry so much about it. I leave on Sunday.

14-Aug-19
A few pair of good fitting leather gloves to keep most of the devil's club out of your skin. Rain gear with rain pants that zip up the legs so you can get them on and off easy over your boots. Thermarest Z-lite folding pad to use as a chair, glassing pad and under your mattress as protection and warmth. Bug head net can be a very handy item and weighs nothing. You may have heat, bugs and snow all in the same hunt. Almost for sure some rain. Crocs for camp and get your boots off as soon as your done for the day. Handy for crawling out to pee or lounging before breakfast too.

14-Aug-19
Ambush’s list doesn’t sound like it’s for where I’m going! 13K in Colorado will be a bit different experience!

I’d like to bring an oxygen bottle, but that probably won’t make the list.

Probably going to be cold when I go...

Trying to figure out horses to get in there but it sounds like there have been some big slides that the horses can’t get past. Will have to see how that shakes out

• Sitka Gear