Trial153 20-Jun-19
Cazador 20-Jun-19
Stoneman 20-Jun-19
Cazador 20-Jun-19
Mad_Angler 20-Jun-19
Trial153 20-Jun-19
20-Jun-19

Mad_Angler's Link
I keep hearing about a beef cut called picanha. Has anyone tried to get this cut from venison? I do all my own butchering and it seems like a nice cut to try to find.

20-Jun-19
you can take it off the top of the sirloin, however on deer( whitetail or mule deer) its going to be very small and you won't be able to utilize it in the same way. I just grilled a whole caribou sirloin and even on that the top flap is small. You be better off pealing it from an elk or moose.

20-Jun-19
The fat on a deer and most wild game is about the last thing you want to eat. The fat on a Picanha is what makes the cut. Without it, its just a cut of steak.

Elk on the grill is pretty close but still lacks the fat. Also, most American grills won't give you the taste you need as everyone uses "Gas" to cook their meat. That would be sacrilegious in Brazil, Argentina, or Uruguay. Half the fun is waiting for the wood to burn down.

20-Jun-19
^^^^ That requires a full cooler and time...

20-Jun-19

Cazador's embedded Photo
Cazador's embedded Photo
Nothing but time! I want one of these in my back yard so bad!

20-Jun-19
Where exactly is it? If you use the gutless method and start with a full hindquarter, is it hard to find?

20-Jun-19
It's not hard to find. It's a small flap that sits on top of your top sirloin. The top sirloin is directly above your bottom round( outside round)

• Sitka Gear