mattandersen 08-Jul-19
great white 08-Jul-19
mattandersen 09-Jul-19
mattandersen 16-Jul-19
mattandersen 16-Jul-19
mattandersen 16-Jul-19
mattandersen 16-Jul-19
21-Jun-19
silly question I can't seem to find the answer to online..I'm going to plant a variety of things in my backyard food plot. One of them is sunflowers. I have a 10lb bag of them. Do I have to plant them one seed at a time? A few per "hole"? I know I need to space them as they will hopefully grow large and tall but that will take all day to plant them one seed at a time. I don't have any special machines or tools. Any help would be appreciated.

21-Jun-19
I planted a three acre field one year. They did very well from simply tilling, broadcasting, and dragging.

21-Jun-19
I had good results doing it just like Robear. GL.

21-Jun-19
We planted about 1-1/2 acres of sunflowers this year with a grain drill.This will be our third year and there is a learning curve. Sunflowers don't like to be crowded;so if you broad-cast go light and space them out and cultipack or roll in. Weed control is a must and a pre-emergent is recommended;we use Prowl.Cannot use a round-up type of weed control after plants are up.

21-Jun-19
Thanks guys! I will prepare a weed free seed bed, fertilize/lime etc and try broadcasting lightly. Otherwise I'll be planting one at a time for months haha

21-Jun-19

Catscratch's embedded Photo
Catscratch's embedded Photo
Sunflowers are super easy! These were grown by spraying gly, broadcasting seed, then mowing the dead vegetation down over the seed. Zero dirt work or planters were used. I don't even have a spreader that handles sunflower seed so I just take a bucket of seed and walk along throwing it by hand. Or even better is to give a couple of kids buckets of seed and tell them to have a seed fight... just have to stay in bounds. If you've never grown sunflowers you may end up disappointed if you don't protect them. Deer absolutely love to eat them and getting a stand to mature can be difficult.

21-Jun-19
I broadcasted mine with my three point spreader, no agitator.

21-Jun-19
Very easy I have an acre of peredovik sunflowers just disked the ground sowed them my atv spreader and lightly disked them in 25 lbs does an acre good luck.they take about 100 days to mature Lewis

21-Jun-19
awesome to hear! I was getting frustrated for nothing lol I am planting a variety of crops so I hope the variety will keep the deer from devastating any one crop but understand they love sunflowers. Along with them I'm planting mean bean crush which is cowpeas, lablab and soybeans, a large tract of beets and greens, clover and winter rye. A deer smorgasbord!

21-Jun-19
I like your mix of plants! Even if the deer do eat them down they won't be wasted... there is good protein and nutrition in sunflowers and they will be eating them during antler and milk production months.

21-Jun-19
I am also surrounded by dairy farms with mostly corn, alfalfa/hay and some beans so I'm hoping they don't deplete all my crops!

21-Jun-19
Matt,

I mixed mine with beans and they did great.

25-Jun-19
So I sprayed my acre future food plot with 41% glyphosate with the appropriate ratio of glyo/water and even added a surfactant. I actually went a little heavy on the glyo..I did this Saturday, it was a sunny dry day. Sunday and Monday were as well. I went to see it yesterday and it seemed as lush and green as it was before I sprayed it!? I read it can take 7-10 days to kill but figured it would've started to wither and yellow!? It is only grass/lawn that I'm trying to kill off. Should I be worried?

25-Jun-19
Gly is definitely slow to take effect. Don't worry. 3 days is too soon. Right now that green stuff is protecting your seeds from birds. The seed will take hold after a rain and the Gly will be killing that stuff dead (brown/withered but maybe not fallen over) in the next few days.

25-Jun-19
You can sometimes have issues with a plant not taking up glyphosate if sprayed on a hot dry day in the middle of the day. I doubt that happened in your case, but it is possible. If nothing is happening in another two days, I would re-apply. In addition, more mature plants/weeds tend to take a bit more time to really brown up.

25-Jun-19
I’ve sprayed some different stuff around the house twice now in the last couple months and each time I remember looking at it three or so days after I sprayed and thought that it didn’t take. Then 4 to 5 days later, the stuff was completely zapped. Give it a couple more days matt. Go snuggle with that baby boy of yours, the gly will do it’s thing

25-Jun-19
Glyphosate can take up to 2 weeks to really see its effects on certain plants. I wouldn’t get in too big of a hurry to reapply it just yet, Matt.

26-Jun-19
Ok thanks for the reassurance guys, I haven't done anything except for apply the sauce so far..wanted to till it this wknd assuming the grass was yellow and wilted. The PH read 7-7.5 in all the corners of the plot on a cheapo PH reader. If that is the case should I still lime? I snuggle with that boy every chance I get!

26-Jun-19
Those pH meters are worthless in my experience.

26-Jun-19
Planted sunflowers with cowpeas and lablab. Broadcast the peas and lablab then broadcasted the sunflowers with a hand spreader. Worked great.

26-Jun-19
Ya I'm not too confident in the handheld PH meter...my neighbor is a farmer and our land touches..he's got corn planted right next to my land. He said it's usually 5-7. I'll lime and fertilize anyways. Thanks guys!

26-Jun-19
Sunflowers will attract plenty of game, can't go wrong if you ask me.

26-Jun-19
I used to buy ag sunflowers and spent s lot of money. Now I go buy a huge bag for $15 at Orschlens and the grow great. I just broadcast them after discing

28-Jun-19
How's them weeds looking Matt?

01-Jul-19

mattandersen's DeerBuilder embedded Photo

Some dead/yellow and a few strips I must have missed..I can see why guys add dye to their mix! haha I sprayed again this wknd and started tilling where it was dead. I broke the rear axle on my quad so I'm gonna have to wait to till the rest until I get that fixed. I hope to have seeds in by mid month. I'll post pics as I get moving.

01-Jul-19

08-Jul-19

Were getting there..I have my son and my time is very limited so I get done what I can when I can. Hoping to have seeds in the ground this upcoming wknd

08-Jul-19

little bit more to till...

08-Jul-19

This is a pano pic from an iphone and Boone ran through so he looks kind of funny

08-Jul-19
Great results! Keep us posted.

08-Jul-19
I also live in Ohio And cant get sunflowers to knee high always devoured

09-Jul-19
Ya I'm hoping to get a few to grow tall but am aware they may not make it...with the variety I'm planting and all the surrounding corn and beans I'm hoping a few grow tall! I'm not really prepared for a fence so we'll see what happens and at least I'll be providing nutrition for them and get them coming round!

16-Jul-19

seeds are in! Just need some rain!

16-Jul-19

16-Jul-19

16-Jul-19