Bill Obeid 26-Jun-19
BullBuster 26-Jun-19
IdyllwildArcher 26-Jun-19
M.Pauls 26-Jun-19
woodguy65 26-Jun-19
MarkU 26-Jun-19
Curtisstkbow 27-Jun-19
22-Jun-19
Who here has taken a Wolf, Fair Chase with bow and arrow? The Pope and Young Club is in the very beginning stages of looking into adding Wolf as a species. I'm interested to know how many are out there and if the skulls are available. Thanks, Ed

22-Jun-19
The only one I know of is Nick M...

22-Jun-19
My hunting partner killed one with a longbow a few years ago. I helped him recover and skin it for a full-body mount. I know he has the skull. Medium sized female.

22-Jun-19
Is there another way to hunt a wolf other than "fair chase". There are plenty of bowhunters who have killed wolves....a lot of them during other species hunts. Not totally understanding the question. Are you asking if it`s worthwhile for P&Y to add them or just trying to see if it`s a rarity.

22-Jun-19
That`s what I was wondering....through the years I have seen bowkilled wolves come through taxidermy shops. Most are taken when they just purchased the wolf tag as a just in case "opportunity" animal. Similar to buying a bear tag on a elk hunt or wolverine tag on a caribou hunt.

22-Jun-19
Yes, right now gathering data. Although it might be rare, I suspect that there are more bow killed Wolves than Polar Bears taken annually. Thanks for any help. Ed F

22-Jun-19
I have killed one with the bow during a caribou hunt. And shot two with rifle but I didn't keep the skulls. Only the hides. They were all killed in Manitoba but nobody recognize's them here. Too bad as they are lot's of fun to hunt.

22-Jun-19
Does CITIES have "method of take" on their permits? That could be a good source if they do or if they would give access to that info.

22-Jun-19
Was walking back down a drainage in the Brooks from a sheep hunt by myself. Had a big black wolf give me a shot about 35 yards. That's a long ways for my longbow and the arrow went right under the chest. It trotted out to about 80 yards and sat down to watch me.

22-Jun-19
I hit one last month while bear hunting up at Eagle Eye,drew bood and tracked for 4 hrs ,blood dwindled to nothing and we eventually called it off .. What a feeling though to draw back on such an elusive animal. It would be nice to see them recognized for what they are and not all the negatives.

22-Jun-19
Thier was one killed in the first WI wolf hunt about 7 or 8 years ago

22-Jun-19
Franklin

I have never seen a CITIES permit with method of take. I think that has something to due to the fact that there are CITIES for both Fauna and Flora

22-Jun-19
I missed at 61 yards. I had a 65 yard pin and made a slight adjustment and just missed. I couldn’t get closer ... it was a cross river shot. BUT, in hindsight I should have retreated 4 yards. It kept me up at night for years. It’s bothering me as I type. You just don’t get many chances like that .

But , boy! The memories! Hunting sure is fun even when we aren’t successful!

22-Jun-19
I remember a guy on Bowsite killing one in WY the first year the season opened. A beautiful black wolf.

22-Jun-19
I’ve missed 3, all in about a year period in BC, two incidental to black bear hunting and one to stone sheep. One jumped the string and the other two were overshot. Been hunting wolf country now for going on the 10th year. Difficult species for sure. I do some calling in the winter and haven’t called one in yet.

22-Jun-19
I got one in Alaska

22-Jun-19
The skull is being cleaned right now so I will have it back in a few weeks.

22-Jun-19
I arrowed one last August, in Ak. Was in a blind beside a salmon stream waiting for a grizzly. Two wolf came by on opposite bank. One stopped at 30 yards. Hit right behind the shoulder. It ran 20 yards and was done. Saved hide and skull.

22-Jun-19
I have a friend that shot one in Ont.

22-Jun-19

SS75's embedded Photo
SS75's embedded Photo
I killed this one in Alberta back in ‘04. My wife hates the mount, says it reminds her of someone’s dog, I told her it’s probably the my lifetime achievement as a bow hunter, she still doesn’t care, Lol!!

22-Jun-19

SS75's embedded Photo
SS75's embedded Photo

22-Jun-19
Awesome mount 5575. A wolf is the only animal that I will ever mount. From now on, everything gets European mounts. Been that way for a while. If I ever kill a wolf though its going full body mount

22-Jun-19
Not yet but hope to go after it hard, with even more incentive once it’s official that we’re accepting entries.

22-Jun-19
I’ve been lucky enough to get one and know a handful of others that have as well.

22-Jun-19
Scott that's a nice mount. Congrats brother was happy for you, seeing that and then got a knot of disgust in my stomach at the same time because I screwed my chance up, but awesome trophy bud.

23-Jun-19

Tonybear61's Link
Head about this one earlier this summer.

Head is about 1/2 the length of a current wolf body.

23-Jun-19
In our "Big Game Records of British Columbia", latest edition published in 2017 there are 3 archery wolves out of the 447 total entries that include pickups, minimum score of 16".

The Russian wolf head Tonybear references above does not seem any larger than today's Canadian wolves as the skull lengths run around 11" to 12" on the majority of the record book wolves here in BC. The rolled up tape in the photo shows an approximate 30 cm long head, hide and meat on which is 12". 12" isn't half the length of a large wolf which probably runs 5' to 7' long. I doubt the story author on the old Russian wolf did much research on wolf sizes before publishing the article.

23-Jun-19
I shot one in 1978 with a recurve while bear hunting in the fall here in Manitoba.

23-Jun-19
I know that Eddie Claypool has done it. I'm hoping for WY this September.

23-Jun-19
SteveH on here has done with his trad gear.

23-Jun-19
I know a guy in Montana who shot one and he was actively hunting them at the time.

23-Jun-19
Noska has at least one.....surprised?

24-Jun-19
I've never hunted wolf, but I'm glad to hear P&Y is considering adding them. Now if they'll just add javelina!

25-Jun-19
Wonder what the minimum score would be and how would it be determined?

25-Jun-19
I vote 1/16 larger than Nick's. Can I get a second.

25-Jun-19
It needs to be different than bears. Maybe add in the dewclaw length(s) and distance between upper canines. Let's have some fun here.

25-Jun-19
It's called a baculum and yes they do.

25-Jun-19
That would be par for the course weekender!

25-Jun-19
Only problem with canine measurement is now the old males with broken, ground down teeth score less.

25-Jun-19
I wasn't questioning the how with regards to measuring, it would be same as any other skull. I was just curious what they'd use to determine a minimum score for entry. Is there enough data out there on wolf skulls to come up with a realistic minimum?

25-Jun-19
Every bow killed wolf should make P&Y...no score necessary

25-Jun-19
Nick, I suspect Rick Behrent from northern BC along with some of the other British Columbia Measurers that are also Boone & Crockett and Pope & Young measurers could give Ed some valid advice on minimum score for a mature male. And maybe what a very large female would score. As far as I know the transplants to WY all or mostly came from B.C., the Yellowhead region specifically so the ones hunted in the lower 48 would be the same subspecies as far as I know.

What did your wolf score? Male or female? Estimated age based on body and teeth? Does anyone in Alaska score score their wolves? Any records on Alaskan skull size?

25-Jun-19
Nick seems be consistently at least 1/16" short.

25-Jun-19
Kurt, I'll put some calipers on it this evening and report back. It was a male, good sized body I thought compared to many of the trapped wolves I've seen in my buddies shop throughout the winter. No records in Alaska that I am aware of but that doesn't mean they don't exist, would be real interesting to find out.

Good one Jason!

25-Jun-19
Is there a link to the BC Record Books? I believe my Dad has 2 wolves that are in the top 10 (or at least they were). Gun kills though.

25-Jun-19
Haha!

Thx C!

25-Jun-19

Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo
British Columbia Big Game Records. Minimum score is 16” and the current record is 18 8/16”. Measured same as bear.

25-Jun-19

Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo
Double post. I guess if a picture is worth a thousand words, here's two thousand's worth.

25-Jun-19
I believe my Dad's are both 17's or 18's- does anyone have access to it? First name Hank (or Harris)

25-Jun-19
Xbow, don't see any Hanks or Harris's listed.

25-Jun-19
About 450 entries and four bow kills. Not many bow hunters in BC though.

Of course there are thousands killed that aren't enter as well.

25-Jun-19
Is there any BC record book maybe? He shot them with Babine Outiftters and they were both top 10 at one point. I remember seeing it at his house.

25-Jun-19
I shot a female with Babine that made the BC book. (in the 16's I believe) However, I was on an archery goat hunt but used the guides rifle. Does that count Ed? :)

25-Jun-19
Archery..... I think the minimum score should be possession......

25-Jun-19
Xbow, if they were not entered, they won't be in the book. Same as P&Y or B&C.

25-Jun-19
They were entered into something for sure, because they were both top 10 of whatever B.C. record book it is. I'll find out details.

25-Jun-19
“The rolled up tape in the photo shows an approximate 30 cm long head, hide and meat on which is 12". 12" isn't half the length of a large wolf which probably runs 5' to 7' long. ”

You need to either slow down your reading or speed up your comprehension there, bud!

The article clearly states “half the length of THE BODY”. As in chest-to-rump, as opposed to nose-to-tail.

Context matters.

25-Jun-19
GF, do you just scour the internet for things you can be a dink about? And, no, it doesn’t change anything in this discussion.

25-Jun-19
12" isn't half the length of a large wolf body either! Just saying!!!!

25-Jun-19
"GF, do you just scour the internet for things you can be a dink about?"

Yes.

26-Jun-19
Careful boys..... He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named still moves in the shadows.... waiting to strike thee down as was done before in the Lost Forums of the Hidden Snowflake....

Where the 'ell did I put that wand.....

26-Jun-19

BullBuster's embedded Photo
Should go SCI number 7 if I can ever find a scorer. 40 yd spot and stalk shot on a moose kill in BC. Shot 1 the year before at 11 yds. Frontal shot after predator calling in pack.

26-Jun-19

XbowfromNY's Link
Talked to Dad. 17" and 17 10/16". They were in Guide Outfitters Association Mountain Hunter Record Book. Looks like they stopped updating this in 2013.

26-Jun-19

Bill Obeid's embedded Photo
Bill Obeid's embedded Photo
A long time ago I was waiting for my bush plane to pick me up. A herd of caribou came through so picked up my camera and started taking pictures.

One thing led to another and I left my 12 gauge on the tundra as I belly crawled for some closer pictures.

All of a sudden I saw this wolf in my viewfinder. My movement caught his eye and he started toward me. I started snapping away. All he could see was the camera and I guess he thought he had an easy meal. When he filled my viewfinder I got a little nervous and looked up over the camera and that startled him. He started to circle me and I just kept snapping pictures .... and I was getting a warning bell from the camera....................( low light )

Circled till he got downwind ... then he tucked his tail and took off. That’s when I looked for my shotgun.... but by the time I got back to where I left it lay , he was out of range. Rookie mistake! I’ve never left my protection out of reach since.

26-Jun-19
I "almost got a shot" in AK..hahahaha

Crazy accomplishment!

Congrats to those that have made it happen!

Mark

26-Jun-19
Honestly Mark, I think you’re being a little harsh.

All I was doing was sharing a pretty cool picture and experience.... My intention posting had nothing to do with almost getting a shot.

26-Jun-19

Buddy shot this in Idaho calling elk.

26-Jun-19
Whoa

26-Jun-19
Gotta love the wolf frontal. I hear it’s just as effective on elk ;)

Bullbuster, can I hang with you a while??

26-Jun-19
Now that's a cool pic!

26-Jun-19
Where's Steve H? He killed one with a longbow, not on a bait. Bryce Lambley also got one with a longbow.

27-Jun-19

Curtisstkbow's embedded Photo
Curtisstkbow's embedded Photo
I shot one in Ak Brooks range a couple years ago. We were just starting out in the morning to hunt sheep we turned around and saw two wolves trotting up the drainage. I ran back to where I thought I might intercept them. When the first one trotted over the top of the hill, I took a guess at the range and let an arrow fly. I later ranged it at 38 yards.

• Sitka Gear