Ambush 28-Jun-19
HUNT MAN 28-Jun-19
Scott/IL 28-Jun-19
orionsbrother 30-Jun-19
Tobpitbull 30-Jun-19
Ambush 30-Jun-19
Treeline 30-Jun-19
27-Jun-19
Some threads and comments got me wondering. Would you go on a one in a lifetime “hunt” if you were not the tag holder? Not with family or close friends, but an opportunity that just came up.

Maybe you will never go on your own sheep, goat or caribou hunt, but would still like to experience it. What if someone said, just get yourself, your pack, sleeping bag and boots here (BC in my case) and off we go. Would you?

27-Jun-19
Hell yes

27-Jun-19
Yes. If there are memories to be made, I’d try my hardest to be there.

27-Jun-19
If you have plenty of spare time, by all means, go. For me, time is just too valuable. With family and work obligations, I barely have enough time to get in all my own hunts, as it is.

Now if it was a close friend or family member asking, that's a totally different story.

27-Jun-19
Yea if your not obligated to do other things. I got family and work. So generally if I’m not the one hunting then I want to be with my family.

27-Jun-19
Yes.

27-Jun-19
For family or a friend absolutely and have many times. Likely not for a stranger based upon the limited time I have to enjoy my pursuits. I would prefer to make those memories with my family and friends.

27-Jun-19
Family and friends....absolutely. A relative stranger....doubtful.

27-Jun-19
Yes if schedule allowed.

27-Jun-19
Like others have said, if a family or friend, I would try to be there.

27-Jun-19
Going with a stranger- Isn't that what Guides/Outfitters do?

27-Jun-19
Yes I have, and will probably be doing it again this year.

Matt

27-Jun-19
I would if the hunting partner was the right person. Even an elk hunt.

27-Jun-19

Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo
Some people like to share their misery.

27-Jun-19
Besthunt I ever did,one day and a beautiful ram. Don’t hesitate

27-Jun-19
I seem to do this at least once a year. I get the same joy in a lot of instances standing over someone’s shoulder as I do dropping the string myself. If I have the ability to help someone and my freezer isn’t empty then I’ll save the tag money and still get to “hunt”.

27-Jun-19
Without a doubt . Would not be the first time or the last. Why you need a partner . I like to hike and glass and pack. Just need whisky:) Hunt

27-Jun-19
I've "helped out" on a few sheep hunts in CO and BC. Fun, no pressure and you don't have to pack a bow or rangefinder. You might even get to help pack some meat out and get a steak in return! One in CO was a total stranger until after we spent some time together, the others were with friends. Worth doing if you have the time and like the area/animal being hunted.

27-Jun-19
I would do this with a friend in a heartbeat!

27-Jun-19
Total stranger? Maybe not.

Fellow bowsiter, count me in!

27-Jun-19
Some of the most enjoyable hunts Iv ever been on I didn’t hold a tag just enjoying the hunt for the hunt BUT I wouldn’t give up my own hunt to do it when Iv gone before it was always before my seasons or after

27-Jun-19
I helped a friend get a moose last year and another get his elk on a late season hunt. Both were great fun.

27-Jun-19
Close Friend or family Mayyyyybe..

Clearly many of you guys don't have 3 kids under the age of 15, work FT and travel for it, coach football, baseball and basketball for your kids and try to go fishing once per year. I really don't know how anyone could justify the time, expense, time away from work and obligations to go watch someone else shoot something. Baffling. Or is everyone on this site retired and bored? But good for you if you can do it!

27-Jun-19
I’m referring to a situation that your likely never to be in. Not sitting in a double stand twenty miles down the road with someone you don’t know, on a hunt you can do every year.

Let’s say Nick, or even someone likeable, put out an invite to join him on an AK muskox hunt. You’ve never seen a muskox or where they live and probably never will. A ten day, adventure vacation!

27-Jun-19
Nick invited me to go grizz hunting, but said I had to rub myself down in bacon grease and honey. It sounded like a truly once in a lifetime adventure.

27-Jun-19
Ike, he was having you do that for him not for the bears!

27-Jun-19
I'd make an exception if invited to tag-along on a Tiger PAC hunt in SE Asia.....

27-Jun-19
I seem to do this at least once a year. I get the same joy in a lot of instances standing over someone’s shoulder as I do dropping the string myself. If I have the ability to help someone and my freezer isn’t empty then I’ll save the tag money and still get to “hunt”.

27-Jun-19
I do have to admit I have been the lucky recipient of friends helping me out on a couple great tags I have drawn. Their help was greatly appreciated and made the hunt that much more memorable.

27-Jun-19
Don’t they call that backpacking :^). On a serious note, I’ve climbed some 14r’s and got a huge thrill just watching goats and sheep and no one had a weapon. Also watching sheep and tahr in the Himalayas and no weapon along.

27-Jun-19
I always figured if I made it to retirement in good shape, I’d lend myself out to support role(s) for folks - just to log the experiences. As long as my freezer is full, there aren’t many critters I HAVE to kill. There are many I’d like to hunt, however. Over and over.:)

27-Jun-19
Definitely, if I only had the time.

27-Jun-19
I went with a friend elk hunting like that once . He had years and years worth of points in play and I could not leave him partnerless. I missed a week of work but glad I went .

27-Jun-19
Have helped a lot of people for a lot of different hunts over the years - deer, elk, sheep, goats, antelope, etc. Mostly the local critters.

I have not gone on an “Over the Top” kind of hunt like musk ox, stone sheep, Alaska-Yukon moose, yet...

Have a couple of standing invitations for Mexico Desert Sheep but haven’t been able to make the time with work, my own hunts and the wife.

Might have to run up with Ambush if his other pack mule is giving out;-)

27-Jun-19
Come on up Tavis. It’s not my pack mule that’s giving out, he’s half my age, strong and willing. It’s me!!

27-Jun-19
With good friends or family? You bet! Most likely going to be doing it this September with Native Okie on his Colorado elk tag he drew. I think it would be a blast tagging along, burning the lungs, camping, helping call and just being out there with a good friend. If we get to dice one up and pack it off of the mountain, even better! Maybe next year I'll go and hunt.

27-Jun-19
Like Kurt I have helped many people out on Sheep hunts here in Colorado. It is fun when you do not have the pressure on yourself. Might be up for doing more of this after I retire, but currently with work and limited vacation it is more of a weekend thing for me.

Mostly though I really want my bow in my hand and a tag in my pocket.

27-Jun-19
Another thought I just had, many guys on here that I’d go on a hunt with without thinking twice Nick absolutely being one of them just for the simple fact I know I’d learn more from them on one hunt than I’d learn on 10 hunts on my own.

27-Jun-19
This year may be tough, Ambush. However, I have had a couple of conversations with a headhunter for a new mining project up north of you a bit. Will see if that one pops! Might even be this fall...

27-Jun-19
Keep in mind you need six months to establish residency. Draws have to be in early June and mountain hunting starts August 1st.

27-Jun-19
I would love to but I have so many other responsibilities in life that I have to save my time off for my hunts and my family. That said, I do try to help others as much as time permits, but an extended trip to watch someone else shoot something? I'd have to pass. If I'm going to spend a good chunk of time for someone else it has to be for my wife and kids. At this point in my life, I couldn't justify it. When my kids are grown, and I'm retired I would be much more inclined to do so. All that said, I have spent a lot of my time trying to help others shoot an elk, taking them with me and providing the means/logistics as well as "guiding" them. I'm still hunting but with a focus on helping them fill their tag. Like Tavis, the local stuff is what I can do for others.

27-Jun-19
Met a guy in S32 years ago, he was glassing for sheep and I stopped and chatted with him. He was rifle hunting, and wasn't having much luck. I ended up camping with him for a few days. Left, came back, a few days later and hiked into a spot and shot a beauty. Total stranger.

Will be doing the same with my nephew (little different) next year in BC for bears. He's a resident, and he's my last hope for actually hunting BC on an accompanied hunt in the near future.

I must admit I like hunting on my own time with a bow, but prefer spending time without a tag with rifle hunters. Less time invested normally.

27-Jun-19
I had people that wanted to go on my sheep hunt. Said yes to a friend. He was going to meet us at camp. After talking with the outfitter I decided to go a day earlier than I planned. I told my friend I was going a day early. He said he would be there the next day. When I arrived at evening my two sons were there already. The outfitter and 3 guides had been out for 4 days but hadn’t spotted any good rams. Got a call that one of the guides was headed in and spotted two good rams plus had pictures. We all met and the outfitter let me know this was the first rams they’d seen they looked good to me. He asked me what I thought? I said let’s do it in the morning. He asked what about your friend? I said this isn’t his hunt it’s mine. I’m not going to pass on rams considering these are the first ones seen. So we went. I got my ram. My friend arrived midday. When we got in I could tell he was upset that I didn’t wait. Kind of put a damper on the day. So my advice to those that want to go on hunts or invite others make sure everyone knows whose hunt it is plus some ground rules. The guides or outfitters should also be the one to say yes or no one how the hunt will go. In my case only one son could go up on the stalk that was going to involve hours. The other one stayed in the valley with another guide and outfitter to watch everything through spotting scopes.

27-Jun-19
Didn't read them all...but of course depends...somebody tells me I have the best sheep tag in Montana got the time I'm going and my guess is that stranger becomes a great friend....

28-Jun-19
I do this most every year with some tag holder on Sheep or Mnt. Goat just to experience the hunt and to be able to relax as I don't have a tag to fill.

After they harvest, I just feel of value helping out.

Good luck, Robb

28-Jun-19
Yes. Doing it with a friend in 2020. I would also go as a "spectator" with an outfitter. However, I think for the outfitter it would have to be someone they know and trust. Someone that can not only pull their own weight but be a positive contributor for the trip.

Mike

28-Jun-19
I went on a Maine moose hunt last year just to do it (and help tote moose out of the woods!)

life's too short to stay inside!

28-Jun-19
Have done it and will do it many times, but I guess for elk and such we aren't talking "once-in-a-lifetime" type hunts. I've never been greeted with such an opportunity.

I had a once in a lifetime opportunity hunt come up for me that due to family/work I couldn't make happen and it still kills me to this day. That was for myself. With those kinds of hunts generally large amounts of time and money are involved. Too many variables for me to simply say "hell yeah" or whatever. Even something as simple as who is paying, is it a fly in, etc.

For the hunts I have helped friends with, or have had friends with generally the guy with the tag has paid all hunting related expenses even food, and the other guy just got himself there. I'm so thankful for my close friends cause it wasn't even discussed and we are on the same page. Having my best friend over my shoulder when I arrowed my first branch elk was one of the best memories of my life. I drove back from my hunt area to help him shingle his roof so that he could make it out. Wouldn't regret it for a second.

28-Jun-19
Yeppers

28-Jun-19
My schedule is usually too full to pull this off to tag along for a total stranger. But I absolutely love going along on a good friends hunt and sharing in the success. I do this every year.

That said, my perspective on what a once in a lifetime hunt actually is changed drastically 4 years ago when I moved north.

28-Jun-19
TEmbry, you're now the guy who could have tag-alongs.

28-Jun-19
I like tagging along with Uncle Trevor!! See ya soon buddy ! Hunt

28-Jun-19
I had a buddy do this for me in 2017 when I drew an elk tag I had no business drawing. He called in a bull for me on day 3. Also to note, Travis Scott hiked in with his cousin and friend to find us and help us pack that bull out......despite never meeting either of us in person until he got to the top of that hill.

Last year, my friend somehow drew the same tag and I was the one doing the calling. He too killed a bull on day 3 of our hunt. I was just as amped up for that bull, as I was for mine.

30-Jun-19
Where are we going?

30-Jun-19
If I could be a help to the hunter, yes indeed... But if I was going to decrease chances of the hunt being successful because of another person to hide or to deal with scent, no...

30-Jun-19
"Where are we going?"

How's your lungs and legs? And tolerance for grizzlies?

30-Jun-19
Figure I’m still a bit below top shape but this goat hunt at 12,000’ to 14,000’ should help.

My elk hunt in Wyoming will certainly have it’s share of griz and wolves but should be a lot less physical...

• Sitka Gear