VogieMN 29-Jun-19
txhunter58 29-Jun-19
Buglmin 29-Jun-19
Buglmin 29-Jun-19
VogieMN 29-Jun-19
Buglmin 30-Jun-19
Thunderflight 03-Jul-19
29-Jun-19
I talked with my dad about going elk hunting one more time before it's too hard for him to go, he's 77. Does anyone have recent experience with unit 77 or Fawn Gulch Outfitters? My dad knows the former owner of Fawn Gulch and has some knowledge of 77 but my dad hasn't taken any elk from there.

I've looked at draw statistics and looks like going archery or first rifle for a bull would be better. I'm disabled and he's 77 so, neither of us are built for miles of hiking. I've never been out elk hunting when they bugle, I've only gone 1st or 2nd rifle.

I'm not looking for anyones honey holes, just wanted some general opinions on if it's a good unit or people's experience with that outfitter. I didn't find any reviews for Fawn Gulch.

29-Jun-19
Sounds like you might consider a trespass, private ranch hunt. Can be had for about the price of a drop camp and the properties generally have good access with vehicles. Can always hire a packer if you kill one too far from the road.

These guys have a good reputation: http://www.coloradoprivateranches.com/

29-Jun-19
Fawn Gulch Outfitters is owned by the Ross's now. They've got some good camps in some good places. I'm not sure how they did the past few years. Elk numbers in 77/78 are very low, and we receive a lot if non resident hunters. The success rate is very low anymore. I'm not sure if they are booked or not. I know Troy has a wonderful area north of Pagosa that requires a 12 mile horseback ride and the country is very steep, but usually loaded with elk.

29-Jun-19
If you've been in 77/78 during the second rifle season, you should if heard bulls bugling. Dave, the former owner of Fawn Gulch, used to be my boss when I pounded nails. They always had good success in their middle mountain camp during the late season.

29-Jun-19
Buglmin, Dave is the guy my dad knows! Small world. Thanks for the feedback.

30-Jun-19
Yessir, has a house still on Fawn Gulch. Dave gave the outfit to his son Dusty for a while before selling out.

03-Jul-19
Im hunting 77 for 2nd rifle this year. I also drew a mule deer tag. We archery hunted the same area (which is unit 78 during archery season) in 2016.

We saw elk (almost always on private land), lots of mule deer, a bear, and some turkeys. None of us came close on getting an elk.

Two of my friends went back the next year and took nice bulls during the 3rd rifle season.

• Sitka Gear