spike buck 07-Nov-19
spike buck 19-Nov-19
Jackson 05-Dec-19
spike buck 05-Dec-19
29-Jun-19

spike buck's embedded Photo
Granpa Paul Lavoie !891 to 1964... also worked with my Great Grandfather in trading...
Granpa Paul Lavoie !891 to 1964... also worked with my Great Grandfather in trading...
My dad and his 4 kids in Winnipeg....I'm the far right not paying attention. 6 kids altogether.
My dad and his 4 kids in Winnipeg....I'm the far right not paying attention. 6 kids altogether.
My parents... after they retired from Bear Camp
My parents... after they retired from Bear Camp
In 1883 my Great Grand dad Isaie Lavoie ( 1864 to 1937) was hired on to the Hudson's Bay Company. He travelled to the many Northern Manitoba reserves trading with the Natives. Many miles of Freight conoes. Furs was his main commodity traded during his first years with Hudson Bay. Listed under "Memorable Manitoban Archives"... many of our Lavoie Family antiques are shown in the St. Boniface Museum next to the St. Boniface Cathedral. Isaie and all the older family members are buried at the St. Boniface Cathedral near Louis Riel *** google Louis Riel

In the late nineties the Natives which he traded with called him "Doc" Lavoie. As he started bringing them the "white Mans Medicine". So called cures for ailments. He worked for the Hudson's Bay company till 1905. Then started work for another memorable Manitoban, Richard Beliveau. Beliveau Junior High was named after Richard.... the Jr High school I attended.

My Great Grand Dad and Grand Father loved and lived in the outdoors. Isaie Lavoie "Doc", travelled by freight conoe. He lived and loved the outdoors. His love of the wilderness must be in the Lavoie blood!!!

He Isaie Lavoie, was a City Councillor St. Boniface ( Winnipeg) for 8 years. Was the president of the board of trade of Manitoba and the Northwest Commercial travellers Association.

His love for the outdoors was passed on to me!!! I grew up in St. Boniface, fished and hunting with our family in Northern Manitoba until 1974. That is when we moved to Vermilion Bay Ontario to run a Tourist Resort. My dad bought the camp off a gent from Ohio Kenny Null, Null's Pine Acres Camp.

29-Jun-19
Cool... I really like the ancestry and their history thing...

29-Jun-19
Great piece of history, thanks for sharing

29-Jun-19
When we bought the camp, we were given a client list. Well, the first year was not easy. Most on the list were not able to travel north due to the Oil Embargo that was impacting America.

1974 was the tail end of the "Oil Embargo". Canada was not impacted with the Embargo except it affected the American Travelling habits..

Our first ever bear hunters, randomly came off the highway, looking for cabins for their large group for 3 weeks. They were a "BIG" group of bear hunters from Knoxville, N.C. and Florida. Gene White... Rented the whole camp. Badly needed business!!!

****************************************************************************************************************************************

Gene White, used just Plott Hounds for his running of the bears. He had a dog solely as a "Strike Dog". Would perch the hound, Clyde, on a mounted rack on his front bumper. Drive roads real slow till the dog struck up a scent of a bear. It was amazing how good this Plott Hound was at picking up a scent of a bear.

After Clyde sounded off on a scent, Gene would pull out another small Plott, Springer, to see how good the scent was. Springer would tell him how fresh the scent and whether was worth the chase. If Gene liked Springers reaction, a Chase was on!! Usually Gene would take the dogs that were in the truck ( dog box), and put them on the track at this point and put Springer back in the truck. Save his strike dogs for another fresh scent.

There was no such thing as a gps collar and radios were not the best!!!

Gene White took me under his wings and taught me all I wanted to learn about bears.... I was 12 years old.

29-Jun-19
Very cool Chris - love reading this kind of stuff! Again, the stories behind the stories!

29-Jun-19
This is awesome Chris! Love hearing the history! Thanks for sharing it with us. Good for all of us to reflect now and then on how we got here!

29-Jun-19

So, back in the late sixties and early seventies, logging was going heavy all over this area. Creating huge clear cuts that was accessed by many miles of roads. Along with the clear cuts, came the huge fields of blueberries. BEAR FOOD!!! Early Seventies was over flowing with bears. Just as they are now in 2019.

Gene White, owner of White hollow Plotts, had a Bear Hunters Dream in front of him. The many roads created miles of clover growing on the aging , remote road shoulders, where Bears came out to eat Clover in the Spring. Leaving FRESH BEAR SCENT!!

1974 was also a year that Sammy McNabb of Erwin Tennessee showed up with his own group and pack of hounds....Blue Ticks, Walkers, Black and Tans etc. Sammy had a mixed bunch of hounds. Sammy heard we allowed hound hunting so here he came!!!

There was absolutely no one offering baited / hound... bear hunts mid 70's around here in NW Ontario. Had all to ourselves!!

29-Jun-19
Love hearing about family generations and their history back in the day. It's definitely in your blood. Thanks for sharing.

29-Jun-19
There were no limits on how many Bears a Bear hunter could tag in the 70's. Buy a tag, shoot a bear, then go buy another. Around $20.00 a bear tag... Thankfully this great bunch of guys put their own controls on their harvest as they didn't want to ruin a good thing.

Imagine a noisy pack of hounds in camp.... very noisy. We eventually kept the hounds out in the bush at an abandoned logging camp. Still had a barn for horses and a little wee cabin the loggers stayed in while working..... couldn't be handier!!!

Around 78', Sammy asked us to do some baiting before they arrived. So that they could have fresh runs right off the bat when they arrived. We did and it was the beginning of the end of Hound hunting at Pine Acres.

29-Jun-19
...anyhow, great story spike buck

29-Jun-19
LOL... I am just beginning!!

29-Jun-19
Now, even though running bears with hounds was exciting, a great work out and very ETHICAL.... we started offering bait hunt's in 1980 and haven't looked back!!! Although I truly miss the chase and listening to the hounds baying a bear... I was able to learn the networks of roads, far back territory that the bears brought us, denning sites etc all at an age of 12 - 16. I skipped school a lot during bear season!!

In the early 80's, Lands and Forest's only allowed 1 bear per season. The interest in baited bear hunts was tremendous.

With the closing of Maine's Spring bear hunt in 1982, Ontario had to do some quick, long term planning for the Ontario Bear population... good thing that they did.

1983 we saw the the introduction of the Black Bear Validation Certificate. Only Ontario Bear outfitters were allowed these. My dad, Rene, sat on the Black Bear Committee for the Northern Ontario Outfitters Association.

Anyone remember these names?? Norm Parent of Bear Crossing Guide service, Wayne of Foggy Mountain, Phill Copp's Black bear hunts. They all moved to Ontario in 1983 and 1984.

29-Jun-19
I love hearing this stuff Chris, glad u chose to share it with us!

29-Jun-19
I do remember Wayne from Foggy Mountain. Wayne Bosowicz??? (sp???) That goes back a long ways Chris!

29-Jun-19
Chuck, Wayne of Foggy Mountain was a pioneer in the Bear hunting business. He too started out running Bear dogs. Couple of years before us. He then divided his hunts between dogs and baits.

Wayne died recently, last couple of years and his best bear guide took over his business. Brandon Bishop. I actually met Brandon the year I met you at the Grand Rapids Show. Brandon had a booth at the show. Wayne had his camp on Mckay Lake, Long Lac. He left after they closed the Spring hunt in 1999. Now just in Maine.

Norm Parent was a guide out of New Hampshire back in the 70's and 80's. Tried to move to Ontario but got kicked out.

Phill Copp Sr died about 10 years ago. His son took over but haven't heard much anymore about them. He was in Dwight Ontario.

29-Jun-19
I killed my first bear at foggy mountain in 1997. Good times. Love this post

30-Jun-19

So, back when we first started Baiting for bears, Bait was hard to get. Yes there were the road killed Beaver and the odd trapper would also give us skinned ones we would hang in trees. But we needed a reliable source.

Just so happened that we had a bon fire in camp one Spring evenning, popped a lot of popcorn for all to enjoy. Had a lot left over so my dad said to try the left over popped corn for bait. I did...can't remember what I mixed it with, but the Bears loved it.

We took an old tire. wired a piece of plywood size of the hole ,on each side. One side had a hole cut into the plywood big enough for a paw. Other side just had scent holes drilled into it. Put a hole through the rubber and hung it from a tree about 3 feet off the ground. Stuffed with our mixed popcorn.

That is how popcorn was first invented for bear bait, 1979...by accident and now used for ever after by many an outfitter... I was actually popping popcorn when I started this thread. Have 750 lbs of kernels to pop for Mid July.

30-Jun-19

Truck Bait....license plate dated 1967.
Truck Bait....license plate dated 1967.
Started baiting this site in our early baiting days. Truck was left in the middle of the old logging road when it died. Many a bear have been taken off this bait site.

The most recent Bear shot from this site was from Courtney Collins, taken June 2019. A pope and Young contender for sure. Her dad is a official Pope And Young scorer and green scored it for us. Here is her bear... amazing how the Bears just seem to be getting bigger from this site!!!

30-Jun-19

30-Jun-19
Great post Chris....stay at it!!

30-Jun-19
Great reading.

30-Jun-19
Thanks for taking the time to share Chris. Good luck to ya and all your hunters this fall.

30-Jun-19
This is so neat. My first if 36 bear hunts was with Chris and is dad rene in the fall of 1987

30-Jun-19
Fantastic thread, spike buck.

30-Jun-19
Chris - besides Maine, did Wayne also run a small camp around Nipigon, Ontario as well for a while? It would have been a long time ago. Maybe late 70’s or early to mid 80’s? It seems that when we were up there hunting at one time, we ran into a couple of his guys. I might be wrong.

30-Jun-19
Thanks for sharing your history, I enjoy that kind of stuff

30-Jun-19
Excellent post with a lot of great history!

Thank you for sharing!!

30-Jun-19
Love the history. Hopefully more is to come.

30-Jun-19
Chuck, Wayne hunted the Nipigon Area. But was based out of Long Lac Ontario, Mckay Lake. But never came to Ontario until after they closed Maine"s Spring season.

I am going from decade to decade. LOTS more to post.

30-Jun-19
I was lucky to have experienced the hunting of bears in the 70's and 80's. In the early 80's, no matter how and where you set out a bait, it got hit. Bear population was booming at this time.

Success in the early 80's actually made me look good but in reality, I still had much to learn. Such as, okay, I have a bait hit but where and how to place the hunter. I do not remember how many BOWHUNTERS we had then. Bowhunters at that time supplied their own treestands. Rifle hunters hunted from the ground or supplied own stand.

Hunters supplies own stands then, which created a problem at first. When showed the active bait site, they had to hang their stands. Created extra scent, noise etc. Bait would go dormant for a day or so.

Bowhunters were new to me in the early 80's.... what I know now in 2019, was learned first hand by the hunters we had in camp in the early years.

What I went through as growing pains in the early years, many outfitters in Ontario are going through right now. In 2019, we have a high Bear population in our favour, like I did in the early 80's, making getting bears easy. Many have no idea right now how to prepare for a Bowhunter.

In 1984 there was 1846 bears harvested in just the Northwest Region of Ontario. Lands and Forests had no idea of whether this was too high or not high enough. I have more data for the later years I'll post later.

30-Jun-19

Brian Phelps....aka Screwball.... 2017 picture....
Brian Phelps....aka Screwball.... 2017 picture....
So, I'll talk about 83' and then move on.

We hired Gene White...the man who taught me so much about bears. We had a lawyer do the paper work for his work permit. He brought his 2 best bear dogs with him, Springer and Clyde. He thought they would be good for tracking of the wounded bears. They were!!!

You don't know how hard it was to get a Bear hound hunter to switch to baiting bears. But he worked hard to get results.

One memeory was of an older, repeat hunter who hit his bear but it ran off. Gene and I went out the next morning with Clyde to get on the wounded bears blood trail. The bait had been hit since the hunter wounded his bear so Gene told me to keep Clyde on the leash. I did and was a big mistake.

Found the trail and Clyde did his job. When he crawled under a dead fall I had to follow. No matter how low I had to go. Just as we got close to the bear, Clyde again went under a log, with me following. Just as I was getting back on my feet, Clyde saw the bear and jumped at it. I was slammed to the ground, losing my breath. I had the leash wrapped around my wrist so he started to drag me as he chased after the hit bear. Finally pulled Clyde back to me, wasn't easy and unhooked him. Chased began and only went for about 30 yards.

Gene ran up to me and we ran into the commotion of the bear / dog fight. Was extremely thick. The bear was dispatched quickly.... Was VERY EXCITING for a young Bear Guide!!!

Problem with using hounds to track hit bears is most times the Bear dog wants to chase the many live bears in the vicinity of the bait.

Older hunter, who just tagged his bear, said was the most EXCITING hunt of his life!!! Gene worked for us till end of 83' spring season.

Another great memory is of a hunter I met in 1983 from Wisconsin. They camped in one of our sites. LOL, snowed almost everyday he was here hunting. Was cold too!!! Brian Phelps AKA Screwball still comes up to either hunt and fish. Was also my best man at my wedding in 1989.

30-Jun-19
Chris - it was so long ago I don’t remember if we came across Wayne or some of his hunters. We were moose hunting at the time at a very remote camp north of Lake Nipigon. Could it have been that Wayne had a small moose operation at that time? At any rate Wayne was definitely one of the “names” of early bowhunting for bears.

Reminds me of watching the old VHS bear hunting videos that Bob McQuire (sp???) made. Good ol’ day’s!

I just love this thread Chris. Keep it going! So much good history here!

30-Jun-19
Bob Mcguire, Still have his book, Ibow. LOL, read all the stuff on bear hunting I could find. Hunting at Pine Acres Spring and Fall since I and my brother did not connect right away. If we hunted spring and didn't get one, Rene would let us come back in the fall, (no charge)always camped so we didn't use up cabins. LOL Hit a bait box or 2, missed a couple, wounded a couple, always bow hunted those days, still do. Finally got one on Check Station road baits. The 80's in Pine Acres were great times, a little wild but great.

30-Jun-19
That’s funny. I still have his book as well. I remember his first bear hunting videos. I’d pick one up on a Friday night along with a pizza on my way home from work on a Friday night and my wife and I along with our kids would watch. Gosh those were the days. Such good & simple times. Life was good.

Thanks again for starting this thread Chris. For many of us it brings us back to our early days in Ontario. Such good times!

30-Jun-19
I actually have a bunch of Mcguire's old cassette tapes. But nothing to play them on.

30-Jun-19
Ibow in those days we ran a group home for juvenile delinquents 8 , 12-18 year olds lived with us. We rented a VCR and 4-5 videos a night. Pizza popcorn and hunting videos. At Pine Acres Rene and Joyce lived in a trailer home the same spot Chris and Lottie are at in camp now. They added on a little store for supplies. Had a laundry room, have skunk story about at spot some time. LOL Can still hear Rene Holler "Chrriiss" across camp" . Ah the days.

30-Jun-19
That group home full of delinquents came in handy for getting bears out of the bush.

30-Jun-19
I remember a sentence that Bob McGuire once said..... " You know that road killed ground hog in the bucket is ready when the neighbor comes a knocking".

30-Jun-19

Guide...Joe Tanner
Guide...Joe Tanner
Getting bears out of the bush in the early years was all by manpower. Atv's were not available to us until 1983. That's when I bought a 185 Suzuki 3 Wheeler. First 4 wheeler I bought was in 1984. Was one of the best purchases I ever made!!

!985 I built a walk in cooler and freezer. Meat cutting area, band saws and all. Cooler ran for us from 1985 till 2017. Got our moneys worth out of it. Hope the new one last as long.

!987 was one of the best Spring Bear hunts we had in the 80's. Was an early Spring so things got greened early, like around May 5th.

After the 87' Spring hunt there was rumors of "BIG" change's about to happen for 1989. BEAR MANAGEMENT AREAS!!!

****************************************************************************************************************************************

Had a Bear hunting buddy that started hunting at our camp in 85. Dale from Indiana. Came up for a few weeks in 1987. Had a time of his life. Great young hunter enjoyed life to the fullest.

Just before he went back to College, August 87', he went to a party at a lake shore cabin on Lake Wawassee Indiana. Dove off the end of dock. Apparently in shallow water. Broke his neck and has been on a ventilator from August 1987 to Early June 2019. Had a will to live for 32 years. Rest in Peace Dale!!!

01-Jul-19
Great stuff guys!

01-Jul-19
After the Fall 1988 hunt, Ontario MNR called all outfitters together to selected community Halls. A hall for each district. In the hall was about 10 tables with maps laid out. Outfitters knew what areas they wanted but the omnr were the deciding factors as to who gets what.

I wanted 8 Bear Management Areas. So I had to work out the boundaries with 8 or more other outfitters. This was going on all over Ontario. I got what I wanted. Just had to do finishing touches with the borders.

I received 8 BMA's in 1989 and 1 more later in years. I was more than happy!!

1989, Ontario's Bear hunting changed for the good.

Bear hunting Data for 1989 shows that the number of Non Resident bear hunters in just one WMU, went from 800 bear hunters in 87' to 220 bear hunters. The resident hunt stayed the same at about 30. The data shows there was no change in this one particular WMU till 2013. 2013 was when the data ended.

One major factor in the lack of hunters was there was the beginning of a recession and Gulf War. Also many hunters had to readjust their bear hunting activities according to their new boundaries. Along with the cancellation of the Spring hunt.

Ontario's healthy Bear population was again on the rise.

01-Jul-19
1996 was the beginning of the end of Ontario's Spring Bear Hunt. Bear Alliance sprung up and had bill boards all over the major Cities of Ontario. One main funder of the Anti Bear Hunting movement was the Shad Foundation. The Harris government, Ontario's Progressive Conservative's, were up for reelection in 1999!!!

01-Jul-19
I love this! Thanks for sharing

01-Jul-19

Data from OMNRF....bear hunter numbers.
Data from OMNRF....bear hunter numbers.
Notice the flat line when they closed the Spring hunt in 1999.

Most outfitters drastically cut down on their numbers of hunters, after the cancellation of the Spring hunt, as they were not wanting to put up with the summer heat during baiting season (August). Or they didn't want to combine hunters with their fishermen. Or just didn't want to do the Fall hunt period. BIGGGG MISTAKE on their part!! I'll explain later.

OMNRF suggests no more than 40% females to be taken. Only 20% of which should be adult females.

Pine Acres hunts bears out of 4 different WMU's. WMU #8 is one of the areas we hunt out of.

Ask questions on the data on the graph if you like!!

01-Jul-19
Interesting and informational thread Chris!!! Thanks for sharing!

01-Jul-19
So, the Minister Of Natural Resources, Snobelen, sent a letter to one of my guides early summer1998. It stated that Spring bear hunting was the best time to hunt bears for a number of reasons, which he listed. He also stated that there was no plan to close the Spring hunt. This same letter was sent to many outfitters across Ontario. Then 5 months later they closed the Spring hunt across Ontario!!!

Many Outfitters were in Chicago attending a show when the Northern Ontario Tourist Outfitters Association's Executive director announced the closing on January 15th. Many outfitters left the show 3 days early after the announcement.

The Executive Director of NOTO apparently was told by the minister of the decision well in advance, but decided to not tell the members of NOTO. The Executive director of NOTO a year or so later started working in the Ministry of Tourism and just recently retired from his cushy Government appointed job....traitor!!

There was also another, high profile Bear / Canoe Outffiter ( Eco Tourism Outfitter), that the Shad Foundation ( Robert Shad) sent his employees to for paid ECO vacations. He infiltrated this outfitter's business. This same outfitter phoned me and asked me and many other bear outfitters to "stop" the fight for the reinstatement of the hunt. I said NO!! We all said no...

I didn't find out about the cancelling of the Spring hunt until I heard it on the local news...

I won't dwell on the closing of the Spring hunt....

01-Jul-19
Ok you don't dwell on it I will. For a person who was just starting out as the owner of Pine Acres after buying the operation from his Dad and Mom, this was devastating news. I will never forget that phone call from my friend not knowing what he was going to do. You see Chris and Lottie had just purchased the camp from his parents and the spring season of which a large part of the camp income came from was gone. The camping industry was changing and Pine Acres was not a fishing camp. We talked a lot during these times and Chris and Lottie started to make adjustments. The BMA's and the fishing camps not wanting to run bear hunts during fishing season all played into this. The Fall hunts, bear quality, and bear hunting in general was about to become very good for someone like Chris. Also at this time the deer population started to increase and eventually the wolf hunting. Chris made adjustments, grew, made very strategic business decisions and has what Lottie and Chris have now. A thriving business or two.

02-Jul-19
Now to 1999, our first year without a Spring hunt. The Ontario Government announced they were going to pay each outfitter $250.00 for each Spring hunter he had in 1998. They also announced the changing of the Fall hunt dates from Sept 1 to August 15th but had to put the change up for an EBR, Enviromental Bill of Rights.

I took the compensation and put new windows in 2 cabins, painted and started to build a fence all the way around the camp.

I booked hunters for the early Fall bear season (August 15 start) expecting an announcement as early as possible. LOL... they didn't officially announce the early start till August 1rst. 2 weeks before the hunt. At this point I was ready for anything!!!

I had always had a Fall hunt right from the early years so I felt confident on success. Most other outfitters quit bear hunting . Many got mad at me for continuing with a fall hunt as they wanted to do a boycott with the hunt....But I had a HUGE mortgage. I had to pay FULL price for the camp.

02-Jul-19
Like I said " I was ready for anything".

Well, lol, July 1999, we get a letter from Revenue Canada saying they wanted to do an audit. They said they noticed a big drop in declared income and wanted to investigate. Made a date and she did her thing.

At the end of the audit, she couldn't find any unpaid taxes. But wanted to tax Goods and Services tax on the compensation fund we received. I expected to pay income tax on the fund but this was ridiculous. After a week or so we received a letter stating we did not have to pay the GST on the fund.

02-Jul-19
Absolutely love the thread Chris! Doesn't that just sound like an auditor. Been through a number of audits here as well.

02-Jul-19
Going back to the late 70's and early 80's, there was a lower population in Moose in our region. The bear population was high. Take a look at the moose population in 2013. Moose population indicates that the moose should be listed in the "Endangered Species list'. Bear population has exploded!! There were changes made to the moose hunt in mid eighties.

As a side note....Back when we first moved to Vermilion Bay, 70's, I had a paper route that took me walking around town delivering the Winnipeg Free Press. I delivered daily to the Local Game Wardens house. One day I noticed about 12 skinned out animals. He had just the carcasses in his truck. Asked him what they were and he explained. There was a bounty on Wolves at that time. Trappers were paid to trap them and the Lands and forests paid the trappers per wolf carcass. Trappers kept the hides of course. The Lands And Forests closed the deer season in 1978 till 88' when they finally rebounded.

The low moose population combined high bear populations, indicates to me and most hunters of Ontario, that the population of bears and lack of moose means Bears are to blame. I don't have to be a biologist to figure this out!!! Decline of Moose started about 7 years after the closing of the Spring season in 1999

03-Jul-19

So now, in 2016, they decided to open the Spring hunt. The Outfitters were put on a quota right across Ontario. The quota they decided to go by was they took the amount of hunters each outfitter had in the years 2012, 2013 and 2014. Added the three years of hunters up. Then the total amount of hunters was divided by 3. So lets say an outfitter took 5 a year for the 3 years. His total hunters for the year was 5.

OMNRF called this hunt a "Spring Hunt Pilot Program". It was a 5 year Spring Hunt. Ending June 15th 2020. The OMNRF was going to also conduct their own Bear Bait line. They would use a can of sardines hung about 7 feet off the ground. This can of sardines will be surrounded by barbed wire. Barbed wire was to snag hair off the bear as he reaches for the can of Sardines. They would check the each bait once a week. This survey will be how they attempt to get an estimated bear population. The OMNRF bait survey was run from approximately May 20th to 1rst week of July.

The hair collected off the barbed wire was sent in to a lab and DNA would be extracted. Then, if an outfitter, was also hunting the same area of their bait survey, the outfitter would be asked to send in the teeth from each bear harvested in the area of their study. They then extracted DNA from the teeth collected and compared the DNA with the DNA collected from the hair from the barbed wire.

The 5 year program and the information they get from outfitter forms 33 along with the OMNRF baear baits will give them ammunition against the Anti's.

The OMNRF had no such data on bears in 1998 and the Bear Alliance used that lack of data against the Ontario Spring hunt. Now, we will have such data in our fight to keep the Spring hunt.

Also, the reason for the closing of the Ontario Spring hunt was because of the possibility of taking a lactating sow. The 5 year program will prove the shooting of lactating sows just does not happen. So if all works out....there will be a Spring hunt for ever.

03-Jul-19
For those inquiring about our 2020 Spring hunts, sorry but we have no openings for Spring and Fall 2020. Also no openings available for Fall 2019. Thanks for the interest in our hunts!!

03-Jul-19
Been driving by your camp on our way to Red Lake since the mid 80s, Chris! Looking forward to pulling into your driveway next June!

03-Jul-19
Troy stop in anytime.... Camp or the restaurant!! Quackers Diner is right on Hwy #17 beside the camp driveway. Look for the Big Duck. See you for sure in June!!

03-Jul-19
Thanks for putting so much backdrop into where Pine Acres is now & what it took to get there. There’s always so much more to the story and you’ve provided that for us. Really enjoy reading all this!

03-Jul-19
Thanks for sharing all that history Chris. I am sure there is more hard work going on than most realize as well.

04-Jul-19
Here are a some, but not all, of the Big Bear Genetics Ontario has to offer since 2016.... also will see some family bear hunts.

04-Jul-19

Fall 2016
Fall 2016

04-Jul-19

04-Jul-19

04-Jul-19

Arika and her daughter...2019
Arika and her daughter...2019
Colour phase bears are here in the Northwest... they are more prevalent now after all the years of no Spring hunt.

04-Jul-19

Our hunts are affordable.... in 2021 the price will be $1595.00, plus tax. We offer a SEMI GUIDED hunt. Trophy bears are all over Canada. Great that some outfitters think their bears are bigger than the rest , they should be proud of the bears they take...but in reality, all outfitters in Canada, if they do their jobs, should be producing a monster or two!!!

I will not post the score of a bear before the actual drying period, 60 days. Jumping the gun. We had a couple of Pope and young Scorers in camp this Spring. I like what they said about what they were seeing in camp.

04-Jul-19

Daughter sat with her mother when Mother (Arika) took this bear
Daughter sat with her mother when Mother (Arika) took this bear
I do not offer free hunts to high profile hunters to do advertising for me. Wont see anyone here video'ing bear hunting movies for advertising either.

***Young Bowhunters or young Gun hunters are my advertiser. They are going to remember their first bear harvests here at Pine Acres for years to come. All hunters work hard to come up with their hard earned dollars to pay for their hunts. I "try" to treat all my hunters as if they were number one!!

04-Jul-19

Morgan....Father and daughter team
Morgan....Father and daughter team
Dad and his bear...archery
Dad and his bear...archery

04-Jul-19
Trivia question: What did a bear hunt cost in 1983? Our first year coming up!

04-Jul-19
Less than $500.00 dollars...

04-Jul-19
I recall $600.00 , but your older than I and memory loss is probably kicking in for you! lol

04-Jul-19

Bill and his daughter...2018.
Bill and his daughter...2018.
Both sat on same bait at the same time. Both shot their bears about an hour apart. Booked again for 2020.

Screwball, your most likely right!! Is your brother on his way up??

04-Jul-19

04-Jul-19

Courtney and her Bear off of Truck bait in 2018...
Courtney and her Bear off of Truck bait in 2018...
Courtney and her bear off "Truck Bait" in 2019...
Courtney and her bear off "Truck Bait" in 2019...

04-Jul-19

Segise #4....
Segise #4....
Booby Vlach's bear....Segise #4 Bait.
Booby Vlach's bear....Segise #4 Bait.

04-Jul-19

Quibell Lake Outpost...
Quibell Lake Outpost...
View from the deck... 12 miles from main Base.
View from the deck... 12 miles from main Base.
Building new deck for the hunters to enjoy the View!!
Building new deck for the hunters to enjoy the View!!
2020 will be the first year for BearHunters at this cabin. On Quibell Lake...Northern fishing from just out the cabin!! Previously, the cabin was used for deer and wolf.

05-Jul-19

05-Jul-19
Glad to hear you don't cater to high profile hunters.

05-Jul-19
Any walleyes in them there waters, too??!!

05-Jul-19

Eagle and Wabigoon River...awesome Walleyes. Have 2 boat caches on the river.
Eagle and Wabigoon River...awesome Walleyes. Have 2 boat caches on the river.
t-roy, where in Red Lake did you fish??

Map1, I didn't say I don't cater to high profile hunters. I said I don't give them free hunts in place of advertising...

05-Jul-19
We fly out of Red Lake to a small outpost lake about a 30-40 minute floatplane flight northeast of Red Lake. We’re the only ones on the lake (that’s the best part!)

05-Jul-19

July 4th 2019...
July 4th 2019...
This is Nungesser Lake, 40 miles N.E. of Red Lake!! Fire surrounded the camp but overnight the Camp was saved...

Hope everything works out for the owners. Fire fighters set up a sprinkler line all around the camp. Awesome job they did.

05-Jul-19
Yep! That fire made it to the south shore of the lake we were on. (Crossland) Thankfully, it had already been, pretty much, extinguished before we got up there. There were places on a couple of the islands on the lake we were on that had burned as well. Those embers flew several hundred yards to reach the islands. There were hotshots camped on our lake for a few days, putting out hot spots, and helicopters flying all over the area for most of the week as well. They said it was started by a logging skidder that caught on fire somehow. We were a bit concerned that one of the copters was gonna fly over us and dump their water bucket on us while we were doing our shore lunch!!

The ministry guys had an emergency sprinkler system rigged up at our camp for part of the week, but flew in and took it down towards the end of our trip.

05-Jul-19

05-Jul-19
These forest fire pics were of last night t-roy. To drive the road N. of Red Lake, Nunguesser Lake Rd, you now you have to follow a pilot truck. After 6:00 pm cannot travel on roads at least till Sunday. Fire is now at about 12,000 acres and still out of control.

05-Jul-19

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
You can see some of the area that was scorched in the background.

05-Jul-19
My bad, Spike! I didn’t see the date on your pics. Looks like it’s still extremely dry up there! Hopefully, you guys can get some good, soaking rains.

05-Jul-19
Largest fire scorched about 114,000 acres so far ( Kewaywin ) and still out of control. 26 burning in the NW region. There is heavy smoke in V.Bay and probably south to Minnesota.

05-Jul-19
Those are some nice Walleyes!!

05-Jul-19
Our Fall baiting season starts next Saturday. Taking a trip South to Cambridge Mn., to Lucky Seven Bear Baits, with 3 pickups to pick up Bear Bait. Looking forward to getting out there again. Have the camera's with new batteries and sd cards cleared ready to watch over the baits.

06-Jul-19

2018.... Wolf season begins September 15th.
2018.... Wolf season begins September 15th.
Oct 2018...Ruffed Grouse...5 a day...15 aggregate.
Oct 2018...Ruffed Grouse...5 a day...15 aggregate.
Our Fall 2019 wolf hunt is booked but can come up and rent a cabin for some Ruffed grouse hunting and catch a walleye or 2...

Our first Wolf only hunts began in early nineties. A few states did not allow Wolves to be imported into them. Now, all states allow the importation. A wolf requires an export permit and a CITIES permit. I obtain all permits needed to get the wolves back into the US. I will hand you all relevant permits to you before you leave.

We have a few Wolf hunts available for Sept 15th 2020.

06-Jul-19

Lost Swans...
Lost Swans...
Never seen anything like these guys in these parts before. I think their lost!! Long ways from water...

06-Jul-19

06-Jul-19

06-Jul-19

06-Jul-19

06-Jul-19

So these are just a few, but not all, of the Bears we have taken since opening of the Spring hunt.

For anyone wanting to know more on our hunts for 2021 you can call 1-807-221-9793 or 1-800-757-2241 or email at [email protected]

I will post my Fall pics on the bear success thread . Have a great summer all!! Chris Lavoie

08-Jul-19
Great story and history about your successful bear camp. That is something you can be proud of!!

08-Jul-19
Thanks Chad....45 years is a long time to be playing with the bears. I plan on there being many more. Its amazing what I have seen in all those years when it comes to Bears. One guy asked me the other day if I had ever been chased by a Bear. I have and it was a spooky situation!!

08-Jul-19
It was back in 91. I took a bear hunter out and set him on stand. It was organized for me to pick him up after the evening hunt. While waiting I decided to go into my property in Quibell. I had trees to plant. There was a washout half way in. Had to walk a kilometre in. We had just logged the property and just had spindly Black spruce. They were not very thick in diameter.

About 25 minutes after getting to the cleared area, I noticed a bear standing there looking at me. I grabbed the bucket and a stick and banged the empty bucket on the bottom with the stick to spook the bear. It worked....so I thought.

Went back to planting and again noticed the same bear watching me, but a lot closer than the first encounter. I stood up, made lots of noise and again banged the bottom of the bucket. This time he just stared at me with no fear of me. I knew when the bear came back that he was possibly a rogue Bear. Was about 150 pounds and had a white patch in the shape of a V.

I stood up on a stump and opened my arms to try to look big. Didn't work as he then stood on his hind feet and made itself look big. It worked!!!

I looked behind me and there was one of the spindly Black Spruce behind me. I backed up to it slowly and as I backed up he came slowly towards me. I reached the tree and he was only 15 feet from me. Mouth open and looked curious. I had runners on and started to climb the tree. The branches were only as thick as my fingers, I broke them off as I climbed the tree. I climbed to about 20 feet up.

The bear sat under the tree with his fore paws on the tree, half in a sitting position. Could tell he wanted to climb but I think the tree was too small for him. After deciding not to come up after me he tried to shake me out. Imagine a tall spindly tree with 175 pounds at the top. Top was bowing over a bit. But I was safe up in the tree. I was swaying as he tried to dislodge me out. I held on for dear life.

I had a can of off in my back pocket and decided to spray the whole contents into his face. All it did was make him mad. He tried to climb up...couldn't. Slapped the tree and ground. I was kinda spooked at this time. He then gave up and went to feeding on fiddle heads underneath me. Felt like I was in the tree for a couple of hours. Getting close to dark and I had to pick up the hunter.

The bear started to walk away finally. I thought to speed up his exit and started hollering at him. Bad decision as he ran back to the tree. Really just walked around under me, not trying to get me anymore. He again, about five minutes, he started walking away again.

He walked about 40 feet from the base of the tree slowly. I knew I had to get out and only had one chance to escape. I knew the branches all broke off as I climbed up. I slipped down the tree till about 12 feet from the ground and jumped. When I hit the ground I looked at him at about 50 feet. He twisted around saw me and I grabbed the empty bucket and stick and ran as I banged the bucket. Never once did I look back till I got back to the truck a kilometre away from the tree. I made it.

I was about 40 minutes late to pick up the hunter. He had a bear so he was not annoyed that I was late.

This has been the only time that I sensed trouble in 45 years. It was a good thing my senses kicked in or I am sure I would have been eaten!!!

12-Jul-19
Fun post to read Chris and this has been a fun thread. Best wishes for many more years of success at Pine Acres!

13-Jul-19

File pic
File pic
Well, made our annual trip to lucky Seven Bear Baits on Tuesday. When we left we were in a drought situation here in the Northwest.... Got a call from my wife the next morning and said there was flash floods everywhere around Vermilion Bay overnight. Hwy #105 and # 17 were washed out. Along with many municipal roads. Quibell Outpost access Rd. has a washout 2 cars deep. Got 191.8 ml of rain Tues night and 53ml of rain last night.

*** 10 ml is 1 cm....2.5 cm to 1 inch.

Spent the last few days checking out the roads we use for bear....all have washouts but are being repaired in the next week or so. Quibell outpost and Mutrie Outpost are both inaccessible right now. Luckily not being used this Fall. Will be fixed by Deer season though.

13-Jul-19
Bummer that things got washed out, but I’ll bet it’s certainly welcome relief for everyone involved with dealing with the drought and the wildfires, Chris! Were the rains pretty widespread or more localized?

13-Jul-19
North where you were fishing they only had about 40 ml. But what ever they got was very beneficial. The logging industry is going good right now, roads will be fixed. I will have to get the outposts roads fixed myself. One washout will take at least 3 tandem trucks of pit run.

Glad it happened now and not any closer to opener.

31-Jul-19

Out checking the baits in our far North Bear Area.
Out checking the baits in our far North Bear Area.
WMU#8....
WMU#8....
Back for our 45th Fall Bear Hunt....

There is a group of 7 hunters with ATV'S planning on hunting the far N area.. All repeats.

04-Aug-19

Soma #1 Bait...
Soma #1 Bait...
2 Track Bait...
2 Track Bait...
Mile #5 Bait...
Mile #5 Bait...
Beaver Hut Bait... A Chocolate Bear
Beaver Hut Bait... A Chocolate Bear

04-Aug-19

Saskatoon Berries....
Saskatoon Berries....
One branch worth of berries...
One branch worth of berries...
So after all the monsoon rains we have had in the last month....we have a BUMPER CROP Berries and pesky bugs.... Blue Berries, Saskatoon Berries, Pin Cherries, Mountain ash about to come ripe, High and low bush Cranberries and Sasparella Berries. We are lucky enough to have the baits active with all the Berries.

As I have said in past threads, we have done what is needed to get bears to the bait. It is now up to the hunter to bring the bear in front of him for a Bow Shot. No movement such as slapping the abundance of mosquitoes and Deer Flies. Keep your cell phones away and don't take snap shots of the lessor bears in front of you. Ask lots of questions, Joe and I are here to help hunters close the deal!!! This is a SEMI GUIDED hunt. MUCH OF YOUR SUCCESS depends on you the hunter.

Right now trail cams tell me bears are hitting baits by daylight and berries by night.... but with all the natural foods, it wont take much to turn the bears to berries by day and baits at night.

Also I recommend you buy your Bear licenses before you leave home. Repeat hunters with Outdoors Cards are telling me its very easy. Internet service in Vermilion Bay is spotty and if the internet is down, so is the license issuer. Its a new system for Ontario. Phone the number on the back of your Outdoors Card.

*** Bear season starts next Thursday...

09-Aug-19

Little Bowden Lk Bait... many bears visiting this site.
Little Bowden Lk Bait... many bears visiting this site.
Little Chocolate Bear with a blonde stripe down his back and a unique white patch. Bear is about 20 months old. Still needs to grow.
Little Chocolate Bear with a blonde stripe down his back and a unique white patch. Bear is about 20 months old. Still needs to grow.

09-Aug-19
ALL Bait sites are wiped out each visit. Should be a great hunt. Hunt starts next Thursday!!

09-Aug-19

Same bear as below pic... Lakeview Bait. Prominent Ridge on Bears nose.
Same bear as below pic... Lakeview Bait. Prominent Ridge on Bears nose.
This Big Guy is a regular at this site. Maybe a bowhunter can connect on him this Fall!!

09-Aug-19
Crazy markings on that young bear! Any other pics of him?

The bigger question would be....how big will he be by June 1st of next year??!!! ;-)

How is the wildfire situation up there now, spike?

10-Aug-19

T-roy, I have been watching this little guy since May 2018. There are a few fires burning North, but nothing out of control. Lots of rain the last 3 weeks.

I have 46 baits out, scattered out in our 9 Bear Management Areas right now. ALL baits are wiped out, with my trail cams showing multiple Bears at each site!! Looks to be a great Fall 2019 season!!

Season starts in 6 days!!

10-Aug-19
Dang Chris! I’m starting to wish I was coming up there instead of elk hunting this year. Good luck to you and all your hunters.

11-Aug-19
We’re all looking forward to Thursday! Good luck on your elk hunt Dave.

11-Aug-19

Morgan Station Bait....Dark Brown Bear with Blond stripe.
Morgan Station Bait....Dark Brown Bear with Blond stripe.

11-Aug-19

Segise #4 Archery...
Segise #4 Archery...

12-Aug-19

OntarioJoe's embedded Photo
OntarioJoe's embedded Photo
Urban white tails at the bank

12-Aug-19
Ha.... their looking for an easy Buck!!!

12-Aug-19
I never seen a bear with a streak down his back....pretty cool.

12-Aug-19
Pepe LePew!

12-Aug-19

Torso Bait....Archery.
Torso Bait....Archery.
Boar Bear.... Torso Bait
Boar Bear.... Torso Bait

12-Aug-19

Ross Lk Bait... possible P&Y
Ross Lk Bait... possible P&Y

12-Aug-19

Lake view Bait... Archery, Longbow.
Lake view Bait... Archery, Longbow.
Many morning pics at this site...
Many morning pics at this site...

13-Aug-19

I have never seen the bugs as bad as this year!!
I have never seen the bugs as bad as this year!!

14-Aug-19

Jackson's embedded Photo
Last years mount
Jackson's embedded Photo
Last years mount
Hoping you have a Great season

14-Aug-19

Mile 47 Bait... archery.
Mile 47 Bait... archery.
See treestand in Background.

Nice mount Jack..

14-Aug-19

Segise #1.... a real melon head!!! Archery site
Segise #1.... a real melon head!!! Archery site

14-Aug-19

This is a real old bear.... Sup Lk Bait
This is a real old bear.... Sup Lk Bait

14-Aug-19

We have a combo Wolf / Bear hunt for Sept 15th. 4 hunters coming up for it!!

14-Aug-19

Annisinaabe Bait.... bear wolf combo!!
Annisinaabe Bait.... bear wolf combo!!

15-Aug-19

Goldilocks Bait....
Goldilocks Bait....
Things are shaping up great for our Wolf / Bear Combo hunt. My cams tell me bears are cohabitating very well!!!

The hunters are purchasing 2 wolf tags each.... have 6 active Wolf / bear baits such as these sites.

15-Aug-19

Little Bull Moose.....WMU #5.
Little Bull Moose.....WMU #5.
Fall Bear season 2019 starts tomorrow....all baits are extremely active. Wish us luck!!!

18-Aug-19
Waiting for some stories Chris. I know you must have a few down by now.

18-Aug-19
We do... picture day tomorrow. Got the big old guy off of Lakeview. Shot at 12 yards by Traditional Bow. Another group of 3 tagged out and left this morning. Hunter phoned a bit a go and said he just tagged his bear. His group are going to retrieve themselves.

The bait where we have wolves hitting, had a bear eating out of the barrel when a wolf ran in and bit him in the butt to get him out of the barrel. Bear jumped, took off... stopped and then chased the wolf away from the barrel. Hunter yelled at the wolf, bear looked at the hunter and went back to eating. Hunter shot the bear, bear ran, wolf chased after the hit bear and chased him up a tree. Quite a sight for the hunter. Was spooked at what was going on all around him. Wolf finally took off in the opposite direction finally!!

21-Aug-19
Pictures?

22-Aug-19

Matthew Vanderleest of Wisconsin...
Matthew Vanderleest of Wisconsin...
Tagged quite a few Bears this week considering the berry crops and hoards of mosquitoes. Hunters were prepared and saw many bears...

Internet is real slow so I will add pics when I have time to.

24-Aug-19

24-Aug-19

24-Aug-19

24-Aug-19

24-Aug-19

24-Aug-19
Great bears chris

24-Aug-19

Thanks Grant... was a tough Fall season. But in the end, the hunters, for the most part got it done!!!

25-Aug-19

Rick of Michigan with his " Possible P&Y".... time will tell on the score of his bear!!
Rick of Michigan with his " Possible P&Y".... time will tell on the score of his bear!!
So.... many bears came into the bait site's, but most were not hungry. They hit the bait but ate little... Many bears were showing up while the hunter was not there. No one wanted to hunt mornings. Joey made up a homemade "Bear Bomb" for the hunters not seeing bears. Thursday, 3 hunters who had not seen a bear all week, 2 of them tagged after the bait was bombed.

Last day, Friday, we had another 3, unsuccessfull hunters. This time we used the commercial scent called " Gold Rush".... again 2 out of three had a bear in bow range for a shot.

We relied heavily on call scents this Fall as the berries were very abundant. It paid off.

Most of our hunters follow Bowsite…. I posted on Bowsite and Facebook earlier about the hoards of mosquitoes they were going to encounter on stand. ALL hunters came prepared. I remember Bou Bound, in another thread a while back, recommending to bring 2 therma cells each. They did and had 2 going at all times.

I did not get many pics of this Falls Bears as many were skinned as soon as they were brought in.

25-Aug-19
more indications baiting bears is not easy or sure thing particularly if a hunter is being a bit selective.

Guys not wanting to hunt mornings when the evidence is the bears are using the baits a bit in the mornings is a miss if taking a bear is the real goal.

25-Aug-19
Couldn’t of been said better bou. Congratulations to you and all your successful hunters this fall Chris. Looking forward to hearing how your wolf hunts go this winter.

26-Aug-19

Most guys in camp last week have been here over 3 times. 2 groups, over ten trips to Pine Acres... They were here for the fun and comraderie of being with their buddies. A few of them went home without bears. But, they booked again for Fall 2021. They knew morning hunts would increase their chances, but that meant getting up early and they chose not to. They stayed up late!!

It was a fun week. Have just 1 hunter this week with 4 more for the wolf / bear combo hunt. Then 4 hunters for our M/L whitetail hunt the last week of October.

30-Aug-19
Shot a dandy Boar this afternoon off of Black Spruce Bait.... ran about 50 yards.Pics in Morning. Congrats to Douglas Smith and Joey his Bear Guide!!! I enjoy tracking them in the night...keeps meat fresh!!

30-Aug-19

Got this pic of Marcs finished rug sent to me.... Marc shot this bear in 2017.

30-Aug-19

Douglas of Michigan...August 29, 2019.
Douglas of Michigan...August 29, 2019.
Douglas hunted the first week of the Spring hunt this year. He hunted Gully bait. I had a picture of a big coloured bear hitting. He passed a nice Black Bear and waited for the coloured bear.

Went home without a bear and came back this week. Tagged this boar yesterday after a few days of watching over some smaller bears. Patience pays off.

31-Aug-19

Mutrie Outpost.... Automatic deer feeder
Mutrie Outpost.... Automatic deer feeder

31-Aug-19

31-Aug-19

Deer Cane...
Deer Cane...
Time to switch to Whitetails today. We have a Deer Cane Pit at each deer site. We refreshen the pit twice a year. Also, each site has a salt lick on a stump at each site. Each site has a commercial pop up blind.

Tomorrow we set up our wolf baits for the 15th.

01-Sep-19

Very active Deer cane Pit!! With 25 pounds of grain...
Very active Deer cane Pit!! With 25 pounds of grain...
A couple of our regular clients.... booked again for November 2019. *** Buck on right taken off above site!!!
A couple of our regular clients.... booked again for November 2019. *** Buck on right taken off above site!!!
We use powder Deer Cane in Clay soil... block Deer cane in sandy loam or sandy soils. We use one bag per site twice a year.

01-Sep-19
Back in the late 70's, the OMNRF closed the deer season in WMU #8. The wolf population got out of control as did the bears. Then in 1988 they opened up the Deer season once again to the residents only in WMU#8. Population was booming!!!

The Non Resident deer opened in WMU#8 again in 1997. Population was ripe for hunting once again. Of course no one knew the season opened as it was not announced to outfitters by the OMNRF. Our first Whitetail hunts began in 1998. The year Lottie and I bought the camp off my parents.

The Non- Resident whitetail hunt came in handy once they announced the closing of the Spring bear hunt in January 1999.

In 2003 the Famous Dryden Buck was illegally taken by poachers. Green score of 223. Turned out to have been a cop from Louisiana that took the buck. In the end the cop was fined about $7000.00. The buck still hangs in the Dryden Museum. The poachers were staying at a outfitter North of Dryden. Once they knew they were seen by the land owner of the land that the deer was poached on, they abandoned the buck...went to the cabin they were staying in...packed fast and left without telling the outfitter. They also left another trophy hanging at their camp.

Outfitters were arriving from other provinces to get in on the hunt. Ontario was ill prepared for this. They would stay over the provincial boundary at a motel near the border, hunt in WMU #7B up against the Provincial Boundary. Then go back over the border for the night with their trophies. One out of province outfitter had a private cabin in the Kenora area and kept his hunters in it. The Whitetail population was being decimated in WMU#7B. Pine Acres is situated in WMU#8.

Now the population is holding its own.... and has been increasing for the last couple of years. Last year we were the only outfitter out there near Vermilion Bay offering hunts.

01-Sep-19

Nephew and his family...
Nephew and his family...
Feb. 2019... taken of one of our deeded lands...
Feb. 2019... taken of one of our deeded lands...
We hunt Deer on our own 4 pieces deeded land along with a couple of leases. We get our nephew to snare the predators to keep the population of wolves to a managed level. We will not let them get out of control again. We will either trap or hunt as trophies to keep them under control.

03-Sep-19

Far North Bear Management Area!! Sept 3rd
Far North Bear Management Area!! Sept 3rd

03-Sep-19
So... as I said in an earlier post, we have 4 Wolf hunters coming for a week. Sept 15 is opener for wolf. We are hunting the Far North area like we did last Fall. Wolves seem to be very abundant up there.... but, as the Biologist put it... there is a lack of ungulates for them to chase down, not a lot of wolves. They are dependant on our bear bait to make it through. They are hungry!!

Well, we have them baited and are excited for the upcoming hunt. Baits are visited by wolves each day. WE mix 50 pounds of the cheapest Wallmart dog food with a gallon of peanut butter. Mixed with a spade. Add caramel and pie filling. Mixed well. *** ever give your dog peanut butter??? They stretch their tongues out 8 inches or so as they eat it. Wolves do the same thing.

If you want to wolf hunt with bow or rifle during an open season for bear, you must also have a valid bear license along with your small game tag and wolf seal. If no open season for big game, such as winter, no need to carry a big game license.

During the wolf hunt, we are constantly counseling our hunters throughout the hunt. This coming wolf hunt we are going to be in the hunting area anytime they are hunting. Wolves need to be tracked and retrieved immediately after the shot is taken as they go bad right away.

At the end of the hunt, I will hand the successful hunters an envelope. There will be an export permit, a cities permit and a royalty paid receipt. I take care of this for them. All they have to do is get their own Bear export when they go home.

03-Sep-19

Ruffed Grouse!!
Ruffed Grouse!!
Joe and I took 9 birds in one hour!! 2018
Joe and I took 9 birds in one hour!! 2018
Ruffed Grouse season also opens on the 15th of September. *** Limit of 5 Ruffed Grouse a day per person, with 15 aggregate. They are easy to take with a bow!!

05-Sep-19

There was a Black Bear Mauling South of us near the US Border. The lady went outside looking for her barking dog and never came back. OPP found the bear standing over her dead body. I noticed bears are acting weird this Fall!!

CKDR NEWS...

05-Sep-19
Good luck with wolf hunters I might have to go to Ontario to kill one I’m 60 never killed a wolf in my life hard to believe want to get a full mount.

05-Sep-19

Wolf in the above pic...
Wolf in the above pic...
A Wolf rug looks great on our wall!!
A Wolf rug looks great on our wall!!
Thanks Alexis... come on down, we have more active wolf baits than hunters. We are not over populated by wolves up there... we are just making it easy for them to eat. We are laying the barrels down with the hole of the barrel down towards the ground so the can easily get at the dog food. Bears are visiting the sites too but hunters are after the wolf main game.

I'll post up a bunch of trail cam pics in a few days.

05-Sep-19
There is some here where I live to get one is the hard part they won’t eat bait out of a barrel haven’t seen it yet. But u never know I know where there is some.

06-Nov-19

06-Nov-19

10 Point taken this afternoon.... has crab claws...
10 Point taken this afternoon.... has crab claws...
This buck is also in the freezer...
This buck is also in the freezer...
Took a few nice bucks this week....

07-Nov-19
Curious about the deer and bear?

07-Nov-19

We will be doing the All Canada Milwaukee Show January 3rd to the 5th. On January 9th to 12th, we will be in Chicago All Canada Show. We will be booking for our Whitetail and Wolf hunts. Bear is fully booked, Spring and Fall.

We will also be at the Indiana Deer Turkey and Waterfowl Expo on February 20th to 23rd. Joe Tanner and I hope to see a few of you there you there!!!

07-Nov-19
Our whitetails are rebounding from a couple of bad winters. Nice bucks are on camera at most sites. Our Archery season is in September. Rut is during the rifle season. These bucks were taken by rifle. Next year rifle season starts November 1rst.

Our deer hunts are semi guided like our bear hunts. Over baited sites. We mainly use commercial ground blinds set on our private lands with a few crown land sites. Many sites are ATV access only.

Also have 3 outpost camps where hunters stay and hunt the deeded lands. Mutrie River Outpost, Quibell Lake Outpost and Upper Falls Outpost.

Main camp hunts includes meals in the Lodge. Can contact me for next years Whitetail package price.

19-Nov-19

George Knopics 10 point... Nov 19th, 2019.
George Knopics 10 point... Nov 19th, 2019.
Spring 2019 Bear
Spring 2019 Bear
George has hunted at Pine Acres for a few years now... Had a great 2019 bear and whitetail season at Pine Acres Here's his whitetail and his Spring bear...

05-Dec-19
Looking forward to the Milwaukee All Canada Show !

05-Dec-19
Yep.... Joe and I are looking forward to Milwaukee and Chicago All Canada Shows. We have all BEAR tags for 2020 taken.... but will be looking for some Whitetail hunters for Nov 20 and a few Wolf hunters for Winter or Fall 20...

Se you at the show Jackson!!!

• Sitka Gear