wildwilderness 03-Jul-19
TreeWalker 03-Jul-19
IdyllwildArcher 03-Jul-19
TxHuntr 03-Jul-19
Dale Hajas 07-Jul-19
Swampbuck 09-Jul-19
'Ike' (Phone) 09-Jul-19
30-Jun-19
I recently read that someone had dehydrated some bacon in lieu of making jerky for pack snacks.

Anyone ever do this? I suppose if you purchased cured bacon?

Sounds interesting

30-Jun-19
I was thinking the same thing. However, have never tried it due to the fat content. Hard to dehydrate fat.

30-Jun-19
I think some of the store bought bacon bits is dehydrated or freeze dried.

30-Jun-19
Planning on having bacon wrapped Dot's Pretzels for back pack snacks?

I've had bacon oven cooked on parchment paper last for many days in average temperatures. The fat gets cooked crispy kinda like the Piggy Puffs you (used to) buy at 7-11.

30-Jun-19
Oberto makes bacon jerky. It doesn't need to be refrigerated, tastes great, and can be eaten right out of the package, or cooked/heated up.

30-Jun-19
Never tried it but my question would by why would I. If I’m dehydrating something, then jerky is just as easy?

30-Jun-19
Link, because it's bacon and bacon makes everything better.

I'm convinced the world would be a much more peaceful place if everyone could eat bacon!

30-Jun-19
Ambush: I love that comment, it made me laugh out loud!

dgb

30-Jun-19
Bacon jerky is always in my pack. Several different commercial brands and flavors are available.

30-Jun-19
Ambush I love bacon, don’t get me wrong here. ;) I don’t see where good jerky takes a back seat though. I would think well cooked bacon would last several days though. I’d think if you got the moisture out of bacon there’d be nothing left.

30-Jun-19
Grocery stores sell precooked, vacuum packed bacon that doesnt need refrigeration. Haven't tried it.

30-Jun-19
The problem with the packaged Oberto bacon is it’s as expensive as hummingbird tongues. The other problem is you can’t just it one piece. If I start eating bacon out in the field hunting ends until all the bacon is gone. Now I’m hungry, Dang It! No bacon in the fridge.

30-Jun-19
When you cook bacon, pour the grease into a glass jar and refrigerate. For burgers, wild or beef, melt (microwave) a big tablespoon for every two pounds, stir an egg into it and mix well through the burger with your spices. It will convert a vegan!

For wild game steaks on the bbq, just before you take them off, put a dab of bacon grease on the top, spread a bit as it melts. As the steak cools it will absorb that delicious bacon flavour. Butter seems better on beef steaks.

Bacon is Mother Nature's most nearly perfect food.

30-Jun-19
X2 ^^^^^. Don`t forget to scrap the pan along with the grease....when you dig into the bottom of that cooled fat and get to the brownish fat....that`s cooking heaven.

30-Jun-19
Ambush, we just do meat-wrapped-meat. (Wrap the steaks in bacon, then grill). I prefer pepper bacon, plus fresh cracked pepper on both sides of the steak.

01-Jul-19
Franklin, that's what German-Americans (like my family) call "greasi-schoen" and it's better than butter!

01-Jul-19
I’ve taken the precooked vacuum packed bacon to the boundary watering on back country canoe trips. It works out fine. Tasty too

01-Jul-19
I love EVERYTHING pork! Been known to eat a whole pound of bacon in one sitting! But don’t like Bacon JERKY! : (

I’m pretty particular how I cook mine. I like it thick sliced and NOT crispy! If it stands straight out when you pick it up, it’s too done for me. Probably why I don’t like it made into jerky.

01-Jul-19
You can get the 'ready to eat' bacon. It can be ate cold or put in the micro microwave to warm up... suppose this would work for a snack

01-Jul-19
Rut, It sounds like you've never had it. At least the Oberto brand is not crispy.

01-Jul-19
No, but I've dehydrated salami, tasted pretty good but really really made me thirsty if I remember right, I started carrying the commercial bacon jerky last year in lieu of beef jerky, tastes better and don't get as much in between my teeth

01-Jul-19
Don’t think it was Oberto. But then again, I prefer bacon warm right out of the pan. So maybe it was the fact that it was not heated.

01-Jul-19
I've cooked and vacuum sealed bacon and taken it on several hunts. Just keep it cool and it lasts - it generally has preservatives and a ton of salt in it...

01-Jul-19
What about dehydrated cured ham for jerky?

01-Jul-19
just put on rack in oven and cook crispy takes a half hour do it every morning

01-Jul-19
Isn't bacon risky/dangerous if not cooked hot enough to kill the parasites? Not sure if jerkey style dehydrators get hot enough... something that should be verified.

01-Jul-19
My way of thinking is with all the sure and salt in bacon, it'd be hard to get sick eating it with any use of common sense. But, I have been wrong before.....

01-Jul-19
I just picked up some commercial uncurred bacon jerky to try. It was surprisingly good but really expensive at the retail price. Expensive even at half price but I may try and make some myself.

02-Jul-19

BTM's embedded Photo
BTM's embedded Photo
All this bacon talk is making me hungry!

02-Jul-19
"Isn't bacon risky/dangerous if not cooked hot enough to kill the parasites?"

No. Not unless it's from feral hogs. Trichinosis only occurs if the pigs eat meat, like in the old days when they were fed garbage. Modern pigs for market are raised on 100% grain.

03-Jul-19
"I'm convinced the world would be a much more peaceful place if everyone could eat bacon!"

Bacon is not Kosher or Halal...... that explains a lot!

03-Jul-19
Go with store-bought precooked. No need to risk not preserving things and then on Day 5 of your 10-day hunt you unexpectedly start imitating the fountain at the Bellagio in Vegas. As for Oberto's bacon jerky being expensive...bacon is expensive and so is ammunition, tags and fuel for the truck. I will not cut corners saving $20 on the food budget when am $2000 into the hunt budget on years of application fees, the tag, the miscellaneous conservation permits, wear and tear on vehicle and gear, ammunition, and time not out making money. C'mon, drop a dime or two as a reward for winning at the Darwin game for so many years.

03-Jul-19
FDA has declared US pork industry to be free of trich and safe for consumption not fully cooked. I've done some pork roasts medium rare - it's delicious.

03-Jul-19

TxHuntr's embedded Photo
TxHuntr's embedded Photo
I used Schwan's pre-cooked bacon on my bagels last year and it worked great. I kept it in top of cooler at base camp. Would make enough bagels for 3 days then put in bivy pack. Come out every 3 days shower and make more bagels for 3 more days. No problems until day 6 when we into town and got a greasy burger, barely made it to the john at trailhead!

07-Jul-19
We take the precooked bacon camping all the time. Throw it on the grill until a bit of grease begins to boil and it's ready to go.

Ive never heard of a pig dying from heart attack:)

09-Jul-19
Mmmmm....BACON!!!

09-Jul-19
Lol...Bacon goes with everything!

• Sitka Gear