'Ike' (Phone) 12-Sep-19
Mule Power 12-Sep-19
Quinn @work 12-Sep-19
'Ike' (Phone) 12-Sep-19
maxracx 12-Sep-19
Mule Power 12-Sep-19
bob80 24-Aug-20
30-Jun-19
A very good friend of mine drew an elk tag in 22 over near Rawlins. Since it takes max points to draw there aren’t that many people with experience in that area.

Can anyone help us get started zeroing in on some spots? Thanks

30-Jun-19
There are elk in the sage flats around that mountain. You will also want to get access from some of the landowners to more easily access the mountain. Landowners frequently give permission. Call the state office in Casper and I think they can give you some names of people to contact.

Good luck

30-Jun-19
I was in Rawlins last week looked more like an antelope area south of there looked like elk

30-Jun-19
I have no direct experience, but I've heard hunters talk about the Ferris Mountains as the place to hunt in 22. Rough terrain, and not great trophy potential, but a lot of elk and very little pressure. Sounds like a fun hunt.

Matt

30-Jun-19
I can help you. PM sent.

01-Jul-19
I am surprised to hear that the trophy potential is not that great. The draw odds are very low for sure. It sure looks like rough terrain from what I have seen. Lee

01-Jul-19
This unit made my top 4 choices when I had a Commissioner's tag several years back. Should be an excellent archery hunt for a guy that is in shape for sure! There are good bulls there.

01-Jul-19
I drew it a few years ago and ended up only hunting for a few days due to other tags I had that year. Wish I didn’t blow my points that year and could have enjoyed it more than I did.

01-Jul-19
Does this unit cover the area around Jeffery City? drew goat tags out there last fall and we stayed at a small motel in Jeffery City.. Looks a bit shaky from the outside but rooms were nice and clean.. people were very nice.. most camp I realize and I usually do as well but if you are looking for a place in that country I thought I would add this. Very remote out in that area.

01-Jul-19
South of JC is elk unit 24. 22 is east of Muddy Gap.

12-Sep-19

Mule Power's embedded Photo
Just wanted to thank the Bowsiters that helped. The information from Robear and others made the hunt a success. It actually led to what ended being less than a half hour hunt. Park truck... bull bugles, move closer, bull bugles, close distance, call, elk comes right in, hunt over.

Will actually had a minimum standard of 330 at least for the early part of the season. But when a bull like this walks into 20 yards and turns broadside 15 minutes from the truck you take the gift God granted you.

Nice to go back to this thread and see a post from Bigdan too!

12-Sep-19

12-Sep-19
Congrats to the young man that was successful with an awesome elk.

Agreed it was nice to see the post from Bigdan miss reading his Montana updates.

12-Sep-19
Nice! Bird in hand you know.

12-Sep-19
Not sure I saw this post when you originally asked. Unit 22 is one of my favorites, but like you said draw odds are very poor. Every time we have hunted it we always had a 350 min. We have seen them and my buddy actually has a 348 bull from the unit and we were chasing one in the mid 370s. With the Wyoming set up we always held out for a monster thinking that we can always kill a small bull at the very end of the rifle hunt.

Congrats and you are correct, a bull like that only minutes from truck is worth the shot unless you have all season to hunt etc.

Was he running alone? Did you see other bulls? I have went to the top of that mountain and back down and backup and down in 4 hours chasing bulls...

12-Sep-19

'Ike' (Phone)'s embedded Photo
'Ike' (Phone)'s embedded Photo
Awesome, headed to 24 this weekend...

12-Sep-19
Last year they wanted $90 for a bottle of that. This year $29. I heard the first batch was terrible. I haven’t tried it. Good luck Ike!

Coelker.... he was there literally a half an hour. It was first and only bull he saw. Technically he didn’t even hunt there! Have you guys seen 350s there? What caliber of bulls has your group killed?

12-Sep-19
Congrats to the hunter!

Nice going Robear! Great to hear Bowsiters helping out other bowsiters with info on these tough to draw hunts

12-Sep-19
Dang it, thanks Joe...Was looking forward to trying it!

12-Sep-19
Congrats on an awesome bull!!

12-Sep-19
They do say it’s improved since the “trial run”

Yes thanks Robear. Your tips were definitely used and contributed to killing this bull.

24-Aug-20
That is a great picture! Heartening to see as our 16 year old drew a cow elk tag for this season for Area 22. I just showed him the picture and he is so excited. We will be doing this as a family road trip along with our 12 year old daughter so would liek to go earlier in the season. Thinking of staying in Rawlins. Would love to have any advice for that area. We have been going to the Pinedale area for antelope hunt for some years now. This will be totally new. Appreciate any and all advice. Bob

• Sitka Gear