Stickflingers 02-Jul-19
Stickflingers 02-Jul-19
Highlife 02-Jul-19
Big D 02-Jul-19
Barry Wensel 02-Jul-19
JEG 25-Aug-19
JL 25-Aug-19
30-Jun-19
Was wondering if anyone remembers a video put out in the 80,s or early 90,s I believe titled masters of black bears. Pretty sure it took place in Manitoba and followed an outfitter on some pretty cool hunts. It was one of the first hunting videos that I remember as a kid. My dad had a VHS copy that we lost. Looking to see if I could get my hands on it again to watch with my dad. Thanks

01-Jul-19
I remember that video, it was in the duck mountains and if I remember correctly it was duck mountain outfitters

01-Jul-19

Mike B's Link
Here's a link to Duck Mountain Outfitters. They have a YouTube channel, and I'd bet your video is posted there.

01-Jul-19
No that’s not Duck Mountain its se of Winnipeg Manitoba Just across border hunted with Albert top shelf big bears too. Corn fields close by.

01-Jul-19
Could have been Bob Maguire. He was heavy into bear in the 80's. I've got his book.

01-Jul-19
I was in that video. It was in the late '80s and centered around Les Nelson from what was then Duck Mountain Outfitters, out of Minitonas, Man. just east of Swan River.. The VHS has been long out of print. I believe Les retired and sold the outfit. I know nothing about it anymore. I know it was an outstanding area with enough thick, Crown lands to assume it's still great hunting. If you ever hunt there realize it's very close to the Sask. border so you can easily buy a Sask. tag and double your pleasures. That used to be legal but I don't know anymore. I remember one day we were right on the Sask./Man. border. We saw a farmer 500 yds. from the road who was turning over his field. He'd just turned half of it over and smoothed it out the day before. As we walked out to him on his tractor we cut ELEVEN different fresh bear trails that came out of the adjoining swamp the previous night and crossed his freshly turned over dirt as they headed to some unharvested grain fields a quarter mile away. I mentioned that to the farmer and he said, "Yeah, we got a bunch of 'em... ah? " BW

02-Jul-19
I have/ had a copy of it somewhere give me a couple of days to look

02-Jul-19
Fella on the bear success thread hunted there this spring.....huge bear too!

02-Jul-19
Barry, now that you say that I do remember seeing you in the video? If i remember correctly you had a small bear climb in the tree with you. Highlife if you do find a copy I'd love to have a chance to see it again with my dad, since it was the first hunting video we watched together. let me know if I could buy it or pay you to make a copy for me.

Nick, Is that outfitter still in Business?

02-Jul-19
Yup, Les Nelson for sure and now Tom who owns DMO. Man I’d love to have the rights to that area!

02-Jul-19
Oh,,, that’s right, just remembered that I will be running that area next year. Tom preceded by Les really took care of the bears in that area and it’ll be exciting to be there.

02-Jul-19
Well i found it sooner than I expected lol Will need to find a 10 year old to set up my vcr/ dvd player so I can make a copy. PM me your address

02-Jul-19
Another VHS movie that was filmed up at Duck Mountain Outfitters at Les Nelson's and I believe that Barry was in that one also was called Bowhunting Hungry Blackbears !! Correct me if I'm wrong but I remember watching both of those movies .( Master of the black bear) also

02-Jul-19
Not me in "Bowhunting Hungry Black Bears". I don't even remember seeing it. Not saying there wasn't one, but just that I wasn't in it. bw

25-Aug-19
I still laugh thinking about the part in that video when Barry's asked about his recent hunt and says he saw 3 bear and holds up 5 fingers, then says he missed one and holds up 3 fingers. The numbers might not be exact but you get the picture. Classic Barry Wensel!!

25-Aug-19
I hunted at DMO when Les owned it. He was a character. Big bears there with alot of big colored ones. When I was there Les was in the process of selling the outfit to Tom and Sara Walunas years ago. They are out of southern Michigan. He is a big guy. He told me he played football I think at UofM? Real nice folks. I'd go back. Les got into elk ranching and I believe owns Duck Mountain Elk Ranch?

• Sitka Gear