gobbler 02-Jul-19
t-roy 02-Jul-19
Matt 02-Jul-19
Kurt 02-Jul-19
Ambush 03-Jul-19
Jims 04-Jul-19
02-Jul-19

JohnMC's Link
So a buddy is trying to talk me into buying this (attached link), mount to your bow decoy. I thought it a ridiculous idea. But Sunday we hiked into above timberline and watched a couple group of sheep that would have been impossible to close the distance on. It got me thinking how the sheep would react to decoy.

Has anyone used a decoy for sheep? Time line is first two weeks of August.

02-Jul-19
Gonna find out in October, but I guess that’s too late for you.

Also have an Ultimate Predator goat decoy that will be get used on three tags in mid September.

02-Jul-19
Be good on call days I bet

02-Jul-19
You do have to watch the wind. I tried the moose decoy on caribou (they didn't like it) and it's always windy in that country. A sudden gust can turn the decoy and your bow with it.

With the goat and sheep decoys we just bought, we got a couple sets of the "alternate" mounting system. I think we can hold the decoy in a hand, then set it down at the shot.

But Ultimate Predator really should consider including a pouch or sleeve with belt clip to contain and carry and also for fast deployment. I cut one of the velcro straps in half and zip-tied them to top and bottom limbs and riser junction. I can stick it on very quickly.

02-Jul-19
Before they had the Rocky, I had a mule deer doe that I was going to use if I had to expose myself during the final stalk. I've taken a lot away from Jacamo's hunting with the hat and the fact that predators in NA do not have big ears. Big ears may put them more at ease vs a slender head. I remember an article of a gal decoying sheep by showing a white backside and it worked. I did a quick search but was unable to find it. Yes, she arrowed it.

I'd get it, as you'll never know unless you try. Dirk over at Ultimate Predator is a great guy, I'd give them a call and discuss. He and Lance may have some ideas for you.

02-Jul-19
Kscowboy, I had read about the bare butt decoy before too: google “Rebecca Francis, Hunting Life Interview” from back in 2015. She may discuss it elsewhere, but talks about the technique in regard to the WY Bighorn she arrowed in that interview. By the way she was the second lady to take an archery Grand Slam of Sheep.

02-Jul-19
I've never used one on sheep but knowing what I do about sheep and having bow killed 2 myself I think it's a great idea.

02-Jul-19
I've been screwed at skyline, by the wind just blowing my fletches in my bow quiver...I wouldn't dream of having a kite tied to my bow.

You'd need something stable in the wind, that you could anchor somehow.

02-Jul-19
"You'd need something stable in the wind, that you could anchor somehow. "

Like a live sheep on a rope?! LOL

02-Jul-19
“Like a live sheep on a rope?”

Depending on your state laws, don’t get caught like that. : )

02-Jul-19
Yeah, I know. Here in NM live decoys specifically not are allowed. But that's about all I can think of that would remain stable when the wind is howling at the mountain top!

02-Jul-19
What if the sheep was a pack animal instead of a decoy?

Don't worry I am not going to be hauling around a sheep.

02-Jul-19
Pack Goats??? I've heard they will follow you like a dog...and help you get the load off the mountain!

Could be the "next level" of archery sheep hunting! ;^)

02-Jul-19
I was thinking you might get mistaken for a pervert and end up going viral on YouTube.

02-Jul-19
"I was thinking you might get mistaken for a pervert and end up going viral on YouTube".

No worries in Nevada, Wyoming, and New Mexico...Bestiality is legal ! :^D

02-Jul-19
I used a Montana elk decoy for my Desert hunt it worked amazing. I lightly painted it grey and made the ass very white. I was able to get into 30yards in wide open country several times.

02-Jul-19
Here’s a little trick you might consider. Get a couple pieces of 4x4 of hardwood or old hard Doug fit about 1’ long. Get one in each hand and smack them together. If you are trying to locate a ram this will get his attention. Rams butting each other is like us shaking hands. When a new ram moves in an area they do this. Got this from a guide. He said they used to use this a lot with good success. If you had a decoy and then did this you would really get his attention.

02-Jul-19
We just used white coveralls in Alaska to get close to Dall sheep

02-Jul-19
Might want to give Pat a shout out on the sheep decoy. I’ve heard he “knows a guy”.

02-Jul-19
"Pack Goats??? I've heard they will follow you like a dog...and help you get the load off the mountain! Could be the "next level" of archery sheep hunting! ;^)"

Yeah, you could unwittingly pass pathogens that would kill not one sheep but the whole herd.

Pack goats in sheep country are bad juju.

02-Jul-19
Matt is correct. NWT is banning llamas and pack goats In the MacKenzies for that reason...potential diseases. B.C. is working that direction too and has a wild sheep and domestic sheep/goat/llama separation program, primarily focused on Bighorns near farms.

03-Jul-19
You cannot use goats or llamas in north BC as it is. Horses only. And some places you have to buy local feed for the horses.

04-Jul-19
A common practice used in Alaska for sheep and mtn goat is to wear a pair of whites. A buddy of mine got a dall sheep in Alaska doing this. In the position the rams were in there was no way he could have gotten close enough for a shot without them. For obvious reasons I wouldn't advise this during rifle season when there is a good chance of other hunters! If doing this for sheep I would advise stalking as close as possible from below...sheep usually panic when approached from above! This also works like a charm for mtn goats! With that said, I would much rather dress up like a sheep or goat than try to haul and hide behind a decoy! It's a pain in the rear stalking very far that way!

The sheep here in Colo don't rut until around the 3rd week in Nov and December. I would think a decoy would work well then? If hunting sheep when they aren't rutting you are pretty much hoping they are curious and wander close...or possibly try to stalk them behind the decoy? They have antelope hats that can be worn on your head...maybe you can wear a ram hat?

• Sitka Gear