t-roy 04-Jul-19
RK 04-Jul-19
t-roy 04-Jul-19
RK 04-Jul-19
t-roy 05-Jul-19
03-Jul-19

JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
This is a cool story. I wonder if the fox will go further south towards the mainland?

Arctic fox walks more than 2,700 miles from Norway to Canada [Associated Press] Associated Press•July 2, 2019

COPENHAGEN, Denmark (AP) An arctic fox walked more than 4,415 kilometers (2,737 miles) to go from northern Norway to Canada's far north in four months, Norwegian researchers said.

The Norwegian Polar Institute reported the young female fox left her birth place on Norway's Svalbard archipelago on March 1, 2018 and reached Canada's Ellesmere Island by way of Greenland on July 1, 2018.

The ground the small fox cumulatively covered over those four months was among the most ever recorded for an arctic fox seeking a place to settle down and breed, the institute said in a research article subtitled "One female's long run across sea ice."

Institute scientists monitored the fox's movements with a satellite tracking device they fitted her with in July 2017 near her native habitat by a glacier on Norway's Spitsbergen island. She stayed close to home then gradually ventured out until she left the island on March 26, 2018.

During the walk to Canada, the roughly 2-year-old fox moved at an average rate of 46.3 kilometers per day (28.7 miles per day), the Norwegian scientists said.

"The short span of time spent covering such a distance highlights the exceptional movement capacity of this small-sized carnivore species," they said.

The distance between the fox's natal den and where she settled on Ellesmere Island was 1,789 kilometers (1,109 miles) if traveled in a straight line, according to the institute.

The sea ice allows Norway's arctic foxes to reach Greenland and then North America, though it's not known why they leave their birth places in search of places to breed, the researchers said.

The animals, which have thick fur to survive cold environments and live to about age four, subsist on fish, marine birds and lemmings.

___

This story has been corrected to show the fox traveled 4,415 kilometers, or 2,737 miles, over four months, not 76 days.

03-Jul-19
Never knew they travel that much. Cool study.

03-Jul-19
That's insane. Very cool

03-Jul-19
That is so cool. Looks like it went right by the town of Grise Fiord on Ellesmere.

03-Jul-19
This is cool, and I like the Tom T. Hall reference!

03-Jul-19
That is incredible! So many steps!! lol

03-Jul-19
Unbelievable, I would have never guessed that a fox would travel that far. Really cool!

03-Jul-19
WOW, completely amazing!! That fox deserves to live a very long life!

I love foxes, they are such a cool and interesting predator!

On a side note, I would love to take a red fox with my bow, it's on my top 10 list! Such an awesome and elusive animal!

03-Jul-19
I cant imagine there being alot to eat out on a ice flow for a fox. I bet there were several days the fox didnt eat but still was averaging 27miles and moving away from the mainland its main food source. crazy

04-Jul-19
Talk about birth place dispersal,,, incredible...

04-Jul-19
Absolutely an amazing incredible story

04-Jul-19
Crazy long distance trek!

My ex-FIL and his buddy used to do a lot of fox hunting here in Iowa back in the 60s and 70s. They actually shot one here in Iowa way back when.

04-Jul-19
T-roy

They killed an artic fox in Iowa?

04-Jul-19
That’s what he told me, RK. He was a very honest person, and extremely knowledgeable about wildlife, so I believe he was telling me the truth. Never saw a photo, but I didn’t have any reason to doubt him. Not sure on the timeline, but was, most likely, it was in the 60s or 70s.

I also remember Skippy peanut butter jars full of fox ears (reds and greys) in our freezer, when I was a kid, from fox that my dad shot for the bounty. I think it was paid by the county, but not sure about that part.

04-Jul-19
That's wild. You would think it would be to hot even in the winter for one of those in Iowa

I was not doubting it just curious

Yea growing up I killed lots of foxes and coyotes for bounty. Ears in freezer. County was usually the one that paid you but sometimes the state

05-Jul-19
No problem, RK! I could see where one of them could have migrated south in the fall-winter, and ended up in Iowa, similar to the trek that the fox in the OP’s link. I’d bet it’s a far lesser distance.

• Sitka Gear