LINK 04-Jul-19
SBH 04-Jul-19
PeteO 04-Jul-19
itshot 04-Jul-19
xtroutx 07-Jul-19
jmiller 07-Jul-19
DEMO-Bowhunter 09-Jul-19
03-Jul-19
I am looking to get my 8 year old daughter a compound to start practicing, and ultimately hunting with. Right now she shoots a 20# samick recurves so she is not totally green. I plan to go to an archery pro shop to buy the bow but I want to do some research ahead of time. I shoot a recurve and have never had a compound so I am looking for any recommendations/advice on a good bow for a girl on the smaller side. Any help is appreciated. Pete

03-Jul-19
Why get her a compound? She already shoots a recurve and so do you so why not just stick with what she knows and what you know? If you get her another recurve then check out Stalker recurved. South Cox has a great thing going for kids growing into their bow and exchanging limbs.

If a compound then there are great options in bear, pse, diamond, Matthews. All the big names should have some kind of kids bow.

03-Jul-19
I have a Mission Menace II for both of my kids and they're great. Easy to adjust the poundage and draw length and you can set it low enough for a small child to be able to draw it well - plus it's not a super heavy bow which is a bigger deal for kids that age.

03-Jul-19
Both my kids started with a pse mini burner, it served my oldest well from 5-10 years old when he inherited his moms old bow then it went to my youngest and he’s still shooting it 2 years later.

03-Jul-19
Thanks Idyllwild, that bows mass weight of 2.8 is a bit lower than I have seen so that is definitely a plus. I like the edge but at 3. its a bit more.

Butcher boy honestly if she wants to hunt, I don't want to risk a bad experience with her recurve. I want to start her off with something she can consistently hit a bullseye on at 15 yards easily. After she gets the hunting bug and has confidence heck yeah I hope she shoots trad with me. And yes South makes some nice bows. My friend Curt and his son Cade shoot them. I know there are lots to choose from I am looking for personal reviews.

04-Jul-19
Understand that completely Peter. I think the one I bought for my son is a Diamond. He was shooting it when he turned 5 and can shoot it probably till he is about 8-10. It adjusts really easily for draw length changes. I started him with a recurve but he wanted one with wheels like Dad. Lol I’m actually wanting to go back to traditional again.

04-Jul-19
I started both my kids the same as you have. Sticks and curves...When my oldest was around 10, I bought him a Diamond Edge. He started at around 20 lbs and 22" DL and used that bow until he was 17 or so, killing half a dozen deer in a couple years at 55 lb and 26" DL. He then bought himself a Hoyt. Good boy... His little brother shoots the Edge now and killed his 1st deer last fall with it. The versatility is incredible and it shoots REALLY well.

04-Jul-19
Pete, since she has to be 12 and able to shoot 40# to hunt in CT; the likelihood of a bow you buy her now being the right bow for her in 4 years is pretty low.

When she is stronger and taller, you will have many more options.

I'd suggest that you get her a Genesis in her favorite color and just encourage her to have fun!

Have you pushed her school to get involved in NASP (National Archery in the Schools Program). That's spreading in CT. They do it PE and the kids have a blast.

04-Jul-19

Tonybear61's embedded Photo
Disc Shooting at P & Y Rendevous
Disc Shooting at P & Y Rendevous
My son used a Barnett Vortex til he decided to go exclusively recurve. I upgraded the sight, arrow rest and bought a nice case. I still have it send me a PM if interested.

My daughter (who is 18 now) has been shooting a Parker side kick for years. She joined me at the traditional shoot with the long bow she used to shoot 6-8 years ago. Was featured at the 2019 P &Y conference photo contest. Still outshoots her brother sometimes.

04-Jul-19

Bullseye Dad!
Bullseye Dad!
Shooting recurve/longbow can be fun if you're not overbowed and it's a nice day.

04-Jul-19
For the money I like the Bear Cruzer lite.

04-Jul-19
we've got 3 mission craze bows in our house. Great bow for kids. Will grab another when Gunner is 8....hopefully I'm done buying bows for those boys for a bit!

04-Jul-19
Thanks for all the replies and generous offers. She will be 9 soon so she has just over 3 years until the September 15th 2022 opener. I am thinking of a Bow like the Diamond edge that she can grow with and ultimately crank up to legal standards. The mission craze and Bear Cruzer look great too. FYI when searching the internet for the cruzer make sure you spell it "cruzer" not "cruiser". I'm sure I will have some interesting pop up adds now.

04-Jul-19
2nd on the vortex, decent adjustability up to legal hunting #, terrible sight and rest so needs upgrade as tony mentioned

i bought it just because they are a local company

there is better stuff out there at twice the cost, of course....best of luck, hope she loves whatever you find!

07-Jul-19
My son bought both his daughters the diamond edge this past spring. They shoot well, and the adjustments are hard to beat. Nice bow for youngsters and will be able to hunt with it when ready. I think it is a good choice.

07-Jul-19
I bought my 10 year old a Bear Limitless. So far I'm very impressed with it

09-Jul-19
The Diamond Atomic is a great bow for young kids. My daughter and son have been shooting one since they have been 5 years old. Mass weight of 1.9 lbs and will grow with them up to 24" draw and 29 lbs of draw weight.

• Sitka Gear