milnrick 15-Jul-19
Bigdan 15-Jul-19
shiloh 15-Jul-19
5575 16-Jul-19
ELKMAN 17-Jul-19
Rob Nye 17-Jul-19
Bigdan 18-Jul-19
06-Jul-19
What's a good choice for a new crossover performance/utility/hunting/work UTV?

06-Jul-19
Russell

That's funny, I was going to start a thread on this topic this afternoon.

Lady Bowhunter and I are thinking about trading our 2014 Arctic Cat (700 HD) on a 5 seater. Earlier today we looked at a Kawasaki and Honda, so far the KAW leads the Honda. Next up is a Polaris Ranger.

I'll be watching everyone's input.

Thanks

06-Jul-19
Why do you like the Kawasaki more than the Honda? I’ve been eyeing up both of these machines too.

06-Jul-19
I've been looking at the Can-am commander and Polaris general. Looked a Kawasaki also because the reputation of the dependability and best warranty, only thing I consistently read negative about the Kawasaki is the ride isn't great and overly loud.

06-Jul-19
Honda is a proven brand, regardless of the type of equipment- racing engines, outboard motors, motorcycles, ATV , UTV. Tough build, can withstand the elements and easy to have maintenanced, if needed.

06-Jul-19
Looking at the Honda Pioneer 4. Wife wants 2 rows of seating and we both like the fold down seats creating a bigger bed.

06-Jul-19
Besides the 3 year warranty. I liked the wide stance and steel cargo bed as well as the way the Kawasaki's back seat folded to extend the size of the bed.

It also appeared to have a higher ground clearance.

06-Jul-19
About to buy a Honda Pioneer. My Polaris with 1473 miles has really disappointed me. First off head light quit . No big deal ,repaired two broken wires. Next when 1/4 tank of fuel ,gauge reads ok . Fill with fuel , the readout flashes fuel. I know there is fuel so I disregard it , but annoying . Dealer told me common issue and new tank $473 plus labor to change . Said could run near $1000. Next intermittently would just stop. Found more broken wires. Next turn key ,no start , turn handle bar and hold key on and finally would start . Found more broken wires. Was told by dealer there was a recall on the wire issue ,but did not cover mine but previous year . I did all labor myself to repair the above . Now there is an issue with starting . Won't start with brake on and the owners manual ,clearly says to start ,have in park or neutral and brake on . This Polaris is going to be someone else's problem by end of week. Like I said at beginning ,only 1473 miles . Has been kept inside in controlled environment. Look at Consumers Affairs complaints .

06-Jul-19
I would sure like a UTV, have a 4 wheeler now. But man couldn't they make them a litter more quiet?? Even my 4 wheeler is loud.

06-Jul-19
I own 4 Polaris rangers 900 & 1000, I use them every day for 7 months a year 6 hours a day, no problems at all. One is 5 years old and the only thing I have done is change oil once a year and grease the fittings. I only go 5 to 15 mph and have 80 gal of water on each one all day long. Great machine for me and my business.

06-Jul-19
I’m not a mudder or a guy that runs the dunes, but I own the Can Am Defender. It’s a 100% hunting and trail riding utility machine for me, so it might not meet your needs. It’s a great hunting rig! Plenty of room in the cab to stretch your legs. Some of those UTVs are tight and your legs feel cramped. Make sure you test drive to feel the cab fit. I bought the base model and have slowly added all the accessories you find on those overpriced, ready to ride “package deals”. This has saved me tons of money.

It’s a fun machine riding the trails too! :)

06-Jul-19
I have 4200 miles on my 2016 Pioneer 1000. The seats in the bed are nice if you have kids. Only problem so far was water got in my gas while it set outside in a bad rain storm. I’ve had all the updates done which was good of Honda to fix a few things on the first generation pioneer.

06-Jul-19
I’ve on my second Polaris ranger . Keep oil and fluids changed regularly . A few bugs here and there but overall pleased with them

06-Jul-19
I'm starting to lean towards the Honda 1000 Pioneer just because of their reputation and possibly better value when I'm ready to sell all out and retire to an RV life. Looked at the 2018 Textron Havoc 1000 at a dealer today that wants to sell them out and stop carrying them. Problem is that there is a recall on the front A arms and can't sell them before they are changed out. Said he doesn't know when the parts will come in. Priced it at $14,800 at (his cost) but that doesn't sound too great to me. I think I'll steer clear of that brand. Not looking to save the last dollar just want to make a smart decision. I appreciate everyone's thoughts.

06-Jul-19
I did talk to the service manager at the big store here and his thoughts on the Honda without a belt drive made sense to me. The Kawasaki with 3 year warranty was tempting. They are made In Lincoln, Nebraska I believe and know several people that work there.

06-Jul-19

Ziek's embedded Photo
Poison Spider Mesa, Moab.
Ziek's embedded Photo
Poison Spider Mesa, Moab.
We bought a 2 seat Polaris General 1000 Deluxe last year, mostly for hunting, but for some chores around our 50 acres, and some playing. I wanted an enclosed cab, with real glass in front and back and a heater. So far, it's been great. In fact, it goes places I never would have imagined.

06-Jul-19

AZ8's embedded Photo
AZ8's embedded Photo
The belt vs gear driven is a sales pitch. There are millions of machines out there with CVT transmissions and have been for many many years. If it was a true design flaw, it would have been changed years ago. Do belts break? Sure of course. But a a new belt is $129 and takes a few minutes to change and you’re back on the trail. That Honda loses a transmission.....gonna be a whole bunch of $$$$, plus you’ll be stuck on the trail. Not knocking Honda....they’re great machines, but don’t fall for the belt vs gear sales pitch.

Here’s my CanAm Defender.

07-Jul-19
Might want to consider which dealer is closest to you as eventually you will need some form of maintenance done and which dealer has the best reputation

07-Jul-19
3500 miles on my 2015 Kawasaki mule pro fxt 6 seater and the only complaint is that the parking brake needs adjustment often. It’s quiet and rides like a cadillac. Been a honda guy all my life, but don’t care for the pioneers at all after owning a 700. I wouldn’t have another polaris if I could help it. Had one of those and had very bad luck out of the belts. To be fair, it was used a lot on a construction site.

07-Jul-19
We have owned Honda,Yamaha,Suzuki and Kawasaki products;good luck with all of them.Currently own a Yamaha Viking (1300 miles) and before that a Rhino that I put 4000 trouble free miles.My 1998 Kawasaki Prairie has 5000 miles on it and is used about every day.Never changed a belt on any machine. Wouldn't touch a Polaris anything.

07-Jul-19
we have had the best luck with Honda. best small engine manufacturer out there.

07-Jul-19
My 2006 Rhino has been back to the dealer one time for a u joint boot. Pretty noisy though. One tough machine

07-Jul-19
Shilo, quiet is important to me. I have had very limited exposure to the the belt drive atvs, namely my neighbor's 750 Kawasaki which is very noisy and has to rev up to move more than I'd like if I owned it. My old and broken Suzuki Eiger 400 has the manual with automatic clutch and it was quiet and moved easily without many more rpms than over idle. That is a trait that I would like to see in a new utv for setting stands and deer hunting. An electric utv wouldn't be an option for me nor diesel. I did look at the diesel Hustler with the lift box but it was $20,000 and little suspension and ground clearance. That John Deere utv with the a/c video I watched on Youtube was a Cadillac! It was a gasser and I wouldn't rule it out should a few of you real owners give sparkling reviews of your's!

07-Jul-19
I’ve not heard a lot of positives about the gators which surprises me to be honest. I’m not a brand guy, but I can tell you that we work our mule pro’s hard and they have been great machines. Daily use as well. My dad is on his 2nd one. I know of at least a dozen farmers around here that would give the same review. 3 cylinder engine is solid. Not a power house mudder, but that’s not what we want

07-Jul-19
Love my Gator and we beat the heck out of it. Not super fast and not quiet but it is tough and has served us really well.

07-Jul-19
Mahindra Roxor for something entirely different.

Terry

07-Jul-19
'65 they had them there at the big store and they were around $15995. They are a Jeep, same size and some of the UTV's were bigger! They also had some of those Suzuki/Dihatsu mini trucks for around $7995 which I thought was too much.

07-Jul-19
We run Can-AM Defenders. Extremely quiet and reliable.

11-Jul-19
Anyone have the Honda Pioneer 1000-5?

11-Jul-19
I have the Honda 1000-5 deluxe 2016. It has been great except for the water crossings. It splashes water on the exhaust and it gets really hot in the summer. Honda did a recall that helped and I installed an aftermarket fan which also helps a lot.

11-Jul-19
I'd look hard at the Prowler Pro by Textron/ Arctic Cat. It's pretty dang quiet, my neighbor has a Can-Am, good machine, but I can hear it coming a mile away...they wear ear muffs while driving it..

11-Jul-19
What about a Yamaha?

11-Jul-19
The back seat is the pioneer is directly over the motor. It gets smoking hot. Look on craigslist, you'll see used POLARIS machines with 9 or 10,000 miles. Says something about reliability right there. I have a 2018 ranger 1000, rzr 900 and a Polaris ATV. Finest ride there is

11-Jul-19
Rhino ours has been great used 8 months a year we do keep it serviced Lewis

12-Jul-19
I have a 2012 razor 570 I have about 10,000 miles on it its been in the shop getting rebuilt for about a month had a rhino 450 before that went through two motors in 3 years when you pay $12,000 for one you would think it would last over 10,000 miles mite be cheeper to pick up and older jeep

12-Jul-19
I have a 2017 Polaris Ranger 570 with hard poly doors and glass front and back. It'll do anything and everything I need it to do. It's a little loud with the enclosed cab. I would suggest some type of windshield that tips up or down.

12-Jul-19
Does anyone just use an EZ GO, electric or gas? Lots of accessories available and they seem to be pretty reliable.

12-Jul-19
I have the Polaris 2016 570 , it’s primarily used for muddy rice fields and carrying a deer or three out of the woods. No problems except the speed odometer hookup drained two batteries until I finally figured it out. It’s the mid size and may not be enough for some.

12-Jul-19
"What's a good choice for a new crossover performance/utility/hunting/work UTV?" "Anyone have the Honda Pioneer 1000-5?" To answer your questions.... In our opinion, you are steering yourself in the right direction. Since sidexsides came out, we've had a Yamaha Rhino; Honda Big Red; Polaris Ranger; couple of Kawasaki Teryx-4's; couple of Honda Pioneer 500's; & a couple Honda Pioneer 1000-5's. Roughly a total of 38-40,000 miles accumulated. Far and above the most dependable have been the Honda's. In our opinion the best..... performance/utility/hunting/work UTV.... would be the Honda Pioneer 1000-5..... without thinking twice.

12-Jul-19
I am on my 2nd Kawasaki Mule. The first one was a 610 and I loved it. It was 4WD and did everything I ever asked it to do. Did get it high centered once but it was easy to get off being a smaller unit. My wife wanted a larger buggy so we went with a 4010 Trans 4WD. Converts from a 2 seater to a 4 seater. It is not a speed merchant but I have no need for that. Ranch roads are fairly rough and very rarely get it up to full speed anyway. The only thing I have ever had done to either one is changing of fluids. Did put a serpentine belt on the 610. These things are solid as a rock. There are places on the ranch I don't drive a pickup on but don't hesitate to go anywhere in a Mule.

12-Jul-19
Just bought the 2019 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe with the roof and also got the extended 4 year extra warranty. The warranty covers bumper to bumper except for wear items and it was $1300, which I didn't think was too bad. I have 5 great grand kids and thought they would like it too. This one is red, which I don't like and will be getting the panels camo wrapped. Should look great with the 14 inch aluminum wheels! I'm an old Suzuki guy but they don't make UTV's. Never did like the Kaws and Yammers but I know they are good for those that do. I know that the Honda is a great company with many products. I have 2 of their EU 2000 generators and they are great for camping.

12-Jul-19
Great choice

12-Jul-19

Manager's embedded Photo
Manager's embedded Photo
Great choice, you won't be disappointed !! It'll do anything you want it to do !!

12-Jul-19
Thanks Manager, it will see a pretty easy life under me. Pull a harrow once in a while, spray, seed, gravel road rides and sleep in the shop at night.

12-Jul-19
Dan you overloaded the damn thing with elk what the f do you expect lol Lewis

13-Jul-19
Have been putting a few miles on the new Pioneer and I'm truly pleased with how it sounds and performs. Will surely go WAY faster that I'm comfortable with but what I really like is it's ability to just creep along very slow in 1st gear high range with the motor barely above idle, very quiet! For retrieving deer and setting up stands in sensitive hunting places I'm sure the impact on game will be minimal. Thanks for everyone's comments and suggestions!

13-Jul-19
My Polaris that was an electrical/ electronic nightmare ,with only 1450 miles and 159 hours on it ,got traded this week for a Honda Pioneer . Can't get 30 miles into bear country and come out a dark ,worrying if it will start .

14-Jul-19
My friend in Michigan has a 4-5 yr old side by side Polaris . He Saw my new Honda at my house up there and stopped by. Asked what happened to my Polaris . To!d him my issues . He said welcome to the club , replaced his has tank, has same broken wire issues i was having . Mechanic at Houghton Lake told him he was seeing that on 2008 to 2014 Polaris . Mine also got to starting in gear and would not start with brake on . Weird stuff going on with it . I went with Polaris as they came highly recommended. Get bad one once shame on them ,go back and get burnt shame on me . Good luck with your machine , looks great with tracks .

Sad part is that I loved using my 2 up. Had it set up perfectly for my wife's and my bear hunts . Even made a canoe rack for it. Hated to see if go. Really bothered us .

15-Jul-19

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
This is my Wifes ACE I like the full roll cage it the same sized as most quads it will fit in the back of a truck. I mite pick up one for my self this one is a 2014. I picked it up new for $5700 it was a hold over that was still at a dealer in 2016
Bigdan's embedded Photo
This is my Wifes ACE I like the full roll cage it the same sized as most quads it will fit in the back of a truck. I mite pick up one for my self this one is a 2014. I picked it up new for $5700 it was a hold over that was still at a dealer in 2016
Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
Here is my razor I just bought a new camper it has a 57 inch wide front deck to haul it my wife has and ACE I will have to stick with the 50 inch wide or smaller I mite be using my wife ace on my Nevada antelope hunt if the razor is not fixed

15-Jul-19
I don't own one, and never will, but I know dozens that do, and all I can say is: I would never own a polaris product of any kind.

15-Jul-19
As mentioened on my prior post. I also had a new 2011 Polaris Ranger. After the first few months, It was in for repairs almost every week. Serious electrical problems, suspension problems, CV joints; 5 rear axles; starting problems, etc etc. Thru over 4,000 bucks in it, just for repairs in a year & 1/2. Before I got rid of it. Had plenty of friends that "used" to have Polaris Rangers or Razors. Same symptoms. Similar problems. Most, have went on the Honda Pioneers. and other brands.

BigDan is a legend when it comes to Bowhunting, especially Elk. If he has a reputable Honda dealer near by. He should look at the Honda Pioneer 500. It is 50" wide for them limited trails. And seats two people.

15-Jul-19

bfisherman11's embedded Photo
bfisherman11's embedded Photo
Since 1994 I have had 2 Polaris Ranger ATV's The 94 was a good machine, 2 cycle as I recall but dependable. The next one was I think a 2003 Sportsman 700 that thing was a BEAST. I guess I have been lucky with Polaris. In 2015 I decided the wife and I were getting too old for an ATV so I upgraded to a 2015 Polaris Ranger ETX. It has a 325cc engine that makes 31HP. So far, it too has been 100% trouble free. I just bought a plow for it to help out with the snow.

Sorry to hear some have had issues with Polaris. I used to bring my 700 to North Dakota mule deer hunting. My outfitter had a Ranger and he used to say it could go anywhere. When I wanted a UTV his words stuck in my head. The ETX is unique in it's 4wd being more an on demand but has never let me down. I wanted a cheaper Ranger and this one suited me. They don't make my model anymore but I would have no issue getting a 570 midsize.

15-Jul-19
I mite look into a Honda as soon as the razor is running again Not worth much of a trade when it don't run

15-Jul-19
Bigdan, I just purchased a Honda Pioneer 500 last Wednesday. Making my own box for the back now . I am a woodworker, so not an issue . Numerous companies makes here for it . That was my only dislike of this one. Customizing to use bear hunting and fishing in Ontario. Put 60 miles on it last week in Michigan ,at our property and running trails. Many of the trail systems in Michigan have a " not to exceed 50 inch side rule" . This one got around great in the woods . Good luck on whatever you purchase .

15-Jul-19
I think one reason that you hear so much bad on Polaris is because they have dominated the UTV industry for years. I think that run is winding down, but they are still probably the biggest, so it makes sense that you might hear the most good and bad about Polaris. When I was looking, a large dealer north of me that has every major brand told me that I was welcome to go look at the repair shop and make my choice. Of course, it was full of Polaris, but that goes back to my original point. They probably sell 5-1 Polaris. I have an electric ranger and a Kawasaki Mule Pro. I would not have a gas Ranger due to history with one, but it truly is a Ford vs Chevy argument. Some say that you can't tear them up.

15-Jul-19
From my very limited experience, I think it's hard to know why someone had a bad experience. A LOT depends on how it's been used. Some guys just beat the crap out of their equipment. If you use it as a play thing - that is, the object is the ride itself, you will likely have a different opinion than someone who uses it for transportation where the object in not the ride, but the destination. If I were to get my General airborne, it would not be intentional. It would be because I made a major mistake. I enjoy where it can get me, but if I have choices past an obstacle, I'm taking the easy way, that has less potential to damage something.

15-Jul-19
Another thing the contributes to a lot of problems is the fact that guys like to go crazy with the “mods”. Irregardless of brand, you start throwing on 32” tires, lift kits, 15 different LED light bars, radios with 12” subwoofers....etc, and machines start breaking axles, CV joints and clutches due to the oversized tires adding too much stress to the stock drivetrain. Or start having funky electrical issues. I’ve found that keeping a machine stock, usually means less problems. There are exceptions, yes, but this has worked for both cars, trucks and my UTV.

15-Jul-19
While I didn't start this thread, I want say I appreciate everyone's input. Our service folks (at the Kawasaki/Honda dealer determined the reason for our continued overheating fault codes and problems. Turns out it's a bad (failed).

The engine and driveline components were in good condition, so there's no need to sell or trade.

It's getting a full tune up, and winch and will be ready for winter.

That said, I'll go with the Kawasaki Mule when the arctic cat calls it quits.

15-Jul-19
My first side by side was a Kawasaki Mule 610 worst of all. Would only go about 16 mph on the flats and when you got in the mud the air intake would plug and it would over heat

15-Jul-19
Kawasaki mules are a lot different these days Dan. Top speed is about 45 on mine. Super quiet, great ride and roomy enough for 6 grown men.

16-Jul-19
Ran Polaris rangers on the ranch for 10 years, they get USED. You learn quick to get rid of them every year because they are falling apart. Started using CanAm defenders last year, they have a two year warranty and after a year of hard use I can honestly say they are pretty much the same as when they were new. Just a much better built machine, no comparison. We still have a 19 1000 ranger and it is a softer ride and much more quiet in the cab but this will be our last ranger. We put on about 8500 miles a year on average. The spray tank in the box is whats really hard on them. Like my buddy that sells them both says. If you are going to drive around the farm and checking fields and going to the lake get a ranger. If you are going to use them for work and need something tough buy a defender.

17-Jul-19
That is the truth^^^ ___ And I would say that is some "experience"... Nuff said

17-Jul-19

Rob Nye's embedded Photo
Rob Nye's embedded Photo
I was a Can Am quad-only guy until last September we bought a new Defender 1000 it got lotsa use in mud and snow during Fall bear and whitetail season. Clients love it; cab and heater is mighty fine in November in Saskatchewan! I was amazed that it went down all my quad trails easily, only had to widen a few short areas. It turns on a dime. Ony issue so far was a faulty windshield wiper switch. Pleasantly surprised at fuel consumption; very good mileage. The front rack, headache rack, and front and rear LED light bars were well worth the cost.

18-Jul-19
When I get my razor running again I'm going to look at the Honda 500 at $7900 its $4500 less than a Polaris maybe it will hold up better

• Sitka Gear