Huntcell 09-Jul-19
kscowboy 09-Jul-19
Strapped 09-Jul-19
Teeton 09-Jul-19
Franklin 09-Jul-19
jsgold 09-Jul-19
Teeton 09-Jul-19
08-Jul-19
I need to get some new liners socks for the fall season. The last ones I had were kind of "one size fits all" and not very good. The question....I am at the top end of one size and the bottom end of another. Would you go with a tighter fit on the smaller size or a sloppier fit on the other.

08-Jul-19
I definitely wouldn't want any "sloppiness"...a tight fit on the liner, is what keeps the friction down in the boot...prevents blisters IMHO.

08-Jul-19
Just curious why you need a liner sock? I've never felt the need for anything more than a merino hiker sock.

08-Jul-19
The only time I've worn liners, is on elk hunts. Most of the time, I'm not doing 10 mile days in straight up and down terrain.

I've ended up with a few blisters after 14 days of that, over the Years. Liners eliminated it for me. Could have had something to do with the fit of the boots in any given Year as well.

Just knowing the terrain I'll be hunting in this Season, I'll probably not be needing them.

08-Jul-19
Nike makes a basket ball sock, with a R and L on the toes. Guess for some people that don't know what foot is what. Come in several colors, padded in the important spots and DON"T SLIP DOWN. I hated when that happened. Not cheep, about $18.00 a pr. but worth every penny. Nike makes a basket ball sock, with a R and L on the toes. Guess for some people that don't know what foot is what. Come in several colors, padded in the important spots and DON"T SLIP DOWN. I hated when that happened. Not cheep, about $18.00 a pr. but worth every penny. Nike makes a basket ball sock, with a R and L on the toes. Guess for some people that don't know what foot is what. Come in several colors, padded in the important spots and DON"T SLIP DOWN. I hated when that happened. Nike Elite' https://www.nike.com/t/elite-nba-crew-socks-ldJB4R

08-Jul-19
It seems liners have gone out of style for whatever reason. Icould not even buy any at the store I went to. Sales guy sold me on a good merino hiker sock and I was skeptical, After 40 miles thru the Rockys, I am a believer, no blisters. I will say the fit of the boot also has a lot to do with no blisters.

08-Jul-19
Tight fit liner for sure. My uncle showed me these https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000V575WA/ Now any time I wear boots I wear them. Game changer.

08-Jul-19
I have the same issue in the size range. I'm a size 12 and everything comes in a 9-12. I used liners in the past and always went with the 9-12; they seemed to be tight at first but if you use your hands and sorta stretch them out, it helps.

Anymore I just use the Merino wool socks, but I always buy 2 brand new pairs of socks for any big hunt where I'm going to be packing on the miles.

08-Jul-19
They may work for you guys, but I find a good medium weight tight fit wool hiker sock works best for me. I hate the two layers. Seems to just slip and slide and cause more irritation.

08-Jul-19
I haven't worn liner socks in some time. But if it were me I'd go with tighter... or just get a good pair of merino wool ones and forget the liner

08-Jul-19
For the guys getting blisters... are your boots fitting well/broken in? Additionally if you start to feel hot spots, duct tape is your friend.

08-Jul-19
Liners are a must....use to get blisters never had once since wearing them 20 years ago.. but I found that a mans nylon dress sock and be as good I just got a pack of knee high support socks from Amazon that looks like they will be great i think six pairs for like 12 bucks

08-Jul-19
To me boots, and socks are my most important equipment that must fit perfectly. So I run 5 toe liner socks for just the insurance of not even coming closing to getting a blister. I run Injini crew 5 toe liner socks. www.injinji.com

08-Jul-19
Nike??? boo

08-Jul-19
TBM sanded his feet to make them tough. Next level thinking.

08-Jul-19
Franklin you seem to be the kind the guy that would exaggerate size of a appendage so I would go with the smalls if I were you!

08-Jul-19
I used to use liners but with merino wool socks, they have worked as well for me without liners. Either way if you are not using merino wool you are missing something

08-Jul-19
LOL JohnMC…..in this case no. I`m a size 10 and the liners I looked at were 7.5-9.5 or 9.5-12.

I do use quality merino wool socks and Lowa Sheep Hunter boots....but being a semi- flat lander I still have issues. I usually tape before the hunt and don`t remove until after. Trying something different for this falls hunt.

08-Jul-19
I used to use liners too because my feet sweat regardless of temperature.

Now, I bring an extra scent-free deodorant that I use on my feet each day after a quick baby wipe clean up and just wear some good Merino hiking socks.

Like Ike suggested, a good, newer pair of Merino hiking socks.

Relegate the pairs with 800 miles on them to town use.

08-Jul-19
Try the Scheels brand merino liners. I wear them under a medium weight wool hiking sock. They come up to calf and dont slip. Plus they are warm when damp.

09-Jul-19
Liners help with moisture and friction. I have coolmax and thermax. I prefer thermax as my foot surface stays dryer. Wigwam makes good ones.

09-Jul-19
I use the same liners as Teeton. They work great.

09-Jul-19
TBM also went all summer without socks and shoes. Get dem little piggies toufin up, don’t need no stinkin lineners!

09-Jul-19
If you feel a hotspot, stop immediately and put a patch on it. Blisters will end a mountain hunt faster than anything. Don’t ignore the issue and “tough it out.”

09-Jul-19
I have been rocking smartwool liners. They have held up well for me. Liners seem to allow my feet to breath better than without, keeping my feet drier.

09-Jul-19

Teeton's Link
Any one ever try the 5 toe liners. I see they have a NuWool liners and I have not used the NuWool.. But have used their polyester liners and really liked them. The 5 toe protect the sides of your toes from blisters... Here is a link to a ebay NuWool liners so you can see what they look like. Ed

09-Jul-19
Teeton….I talked with a hiker that swears by those. Is it hard to get used to that feeling of socks between your toes?

09-Jul-19
With your foot size, I'd get these in size Large: https://www.rei.com/product/856655/rei-co-op-merino-wool-liner-socks

I used to wear them only for elk hunting as my liner socks, but they've been so good that I now I use them in civilian life all the time, too, all by themselves.

Jeff

09-Jul-19
Franklin, when u first put them on they feel funny, but not bad. After a short time I dont even know I have them on. The ones I have are polyester. They fit pretty snug which is good but don't restrict. The only bad is being polyester they do get a funky foot smell. I always take 2 pair when I pack in and wash the pair I'm not wearing pretty much every day or so. They dry very fast.

• Sitka Gear